“Outstanding exhibit......”

Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Cody
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hours: Mar 1 – Apr 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily May 1 – Sep 15: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily Sep 16 – Oct 31: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Nov 1 – 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Dec 1 – Feb 28: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Thursday – Sunday Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s days Since 1927, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West has been committed to the greatness and growth of the American West, keeping western experiences alive. The Center of the West, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, weaves the varied threads of the western experience-history and myth, art and Native culture, firearms, and the nature and science of Yellowstone-into the rich panorama that is the American West. The Center of the West has been honored with numerous awards, including TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence for four years running.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Beautifully researched and presented tableau giving you all you need to know about Wild Bill and his life and times. The museum divides into additional sections about the native american etc and when we visited had a superb display of National Geographic photographs.

One segment contains 2,700 guns. That s a lot, in fact more than I can comprehend. Wish they were able to label them to indicate which had actually killed someone.

Well worth a visit, you can spend hours here learning a great deal.

1  Thank Lieutenant_Feraud
Write a ReviewReviews (3,985)
All reviews
in 55 reviews
"plan on spending"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

As you probably know, there are 5 museums in this amazing complex. The Bill Cody section is entertaining and informative, not just about Buffalo Bill the entertainer, army scout, buffalo hunter, and family man, but also about the era he lived in and the country he inhabited. The Plains Indian section, was the most time consuming for me. Excellent displays, with stories and information I didn't want to miss (I usually breeze right by that stuff). Stunning displays and multi media presentations. The Natural History section was the kids favorite - presented very well and flowed perfectly. The kids only stayed for the Buffalo Bill and Natural History part, they wanted to go to the Plains Indians section, but wanted to go get new boots more. This allowed me to take my time in the Plains Indian, Firearms and Art sections. I'm not at all into guns, but i was really impressed with the firearms collection. Tucked away in Firearms is a neat big game trophy area. The art section blew me away - fantastic collection: Remingtons, Schreyvogels, Russells, and more big name Western artists than I can list here. A remarkable gallery. I would gladly come back for a second day if time permitted and would recommend to anyone that enjoys a first rate museum.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I visited the museum 25 years ago. This time we returned with our 22 year old who loves history. We weren't sure how good it would be after all that time. It is a real gem--vastly expanded from our prior trip. Every section had something interesting--although I am not a big fan of guns, even that was pretty cool. All of us had a great time and we ended up staying most of the day. Definitely worth a stop and a great break from daily hikies in Yellowstone.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'm not a big museum fan...but this was amazing! There is sooo much to see here. There are 5 "spokes" to the museum. Yellowstone, Buffalo Bill, Western Art, Firearms, and Indian History. This museum is well run and on the cutting edge of technology. I was impressed...you will be too!