“Simply the best Museum ever”

Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Ranked #1 of 55 things to do in Cody
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hours: Mar 1 – Apr 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily May 1 – Sep 15: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily Sep 16 – Oct 31: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Nov 1 – 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Dec 1 – Feb 28: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Thursday – Sunday Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s days Since 1927, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West has been committed to the greatness and growth of the American West, keeping western experiences alive. The Center of the West, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, weaves the varied threads of the western experience-history and myth, art and Native culture, firearms, and the nature and science of Yellowstone-into the rich panorama that is the American West. The Center of the West has been honored with numerous awards, including TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence for four years running.
Thame, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Simply the best Museum ever”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a totally amazing collection of four museums. Buffalo Bill Cody was the reason for going and that museum covers his life story in minute detail. We enjoyed seeing his saddles, guns, clothes; and reading all about his adventures; watching old films and hearing all about the shows he put on. I enjoyed talking to the gentleman printer about his antique press and making my own bookmark was fun. For anyone with an interest in the story of the wild west this is not to be missed. But then there is more, the Yellowstone Museum too, what a bonus. This is a totally captivating journey through Yellowstone taking in the flora and fauna; looking at the impact of people - indigenous, settlers, politicians, army; the natural balance and imbalance; the re-introduction wolves etc. I didn't know about anything about Buffalo I do now and having them seen one in the Park I was so much better informed. The Plain Indians museum displays a wealth of information about the indigenous people and they way they were treated when the settlers arrived. I guess its reveals a fair, if not too palatable account at times of the hardship they encountered. Take time to read the stories and enjoy the most beautiful collection of head dresses, clothes, tools and weapons. We spent the best part of an afternoon one day and the morning the next (one ticket allows this) there. You'd need more time to do it full justice, We have some excellent museums in the UK, but I know it is the best I've been too. Such a shame I'm on the other side of the pond!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Hexham_hero

Denver CO
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Pretty neat museum”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Good history here. Great introduction to what the "Wild West" was all about. Harry Jackson has several bronze statuary pieces throughout Cody, keep an eye out for them = very cool art.

Visited June 2012
Laurel, Montana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Deffinitely worth the time”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

In winter time hours change and depending on who is in playoffs the coffee bar and snack place closes way early. Wear tennis shoes or good walking shoes! We wore boots from January snow, bad idea. Our feet were killing us and we didn't make it though the whole place in 2 and a half hours. So get there by 10 a.m. and be ready to take your time. We loved the experience, its not just like so many places around here with a typical animal paintings and taxidermy animals. There is something there for everyone to enjoy. And this visit was in the winter, we cant wait for summer! Year passes are inexpensive so we really are going again.

Visited January 2013
Royal Oak, Michigan, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wonderful Museum”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I was really impressed with this museum. We are in Coty for a few days and today was below 0...so I decided to check out the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. I thought it would keep me busy for a couple of hours. I was wrong, I spent the entire day there! There was so much to see and learn, it was like having 5 museums in one. Not only did I learn a lot about the nature surrounding Coty but also, a lot about the culture that shaped the West. The Buffalo Bill exhibit was amazing as was the Plains Indians and the Great Yellowstone Natural History. To end the day, they brought out a red tailed hawk! The employee who handled him was so informative on all raptors and he sat patiently on her arm while she talked, it was amazing!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Jennifer L
Nephi, Utah
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“An eye-opener”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Five museums in one, but I only had time to look around two of them, and that was ok because I'm not interested in guns or Buffalo Bill really. The Plains Indian museum was so interesting and I loved the Natural History one too. Wish I could have spent a couple of days there with so much to see.

Visited June 2012