“One night enroute”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cody
Ponderosa Campground
Ranked #5 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Cody
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Left West Yellowstone and stayed here at recommendation of the folks at Grizzly.

It is a different, but good, experience. This park is not as nice, or expensive, but it does a very good job of justifying its cost structure. Two minor irritants did not spoil the fun. First, no credit cards are accepted and I was not told that before we arrived (phone reservation). Second, the wast hookup is at the very back of the site and a bit of a problem hooking up. For one night we did not try.

The rest of the story is good. Friendly check in and decent assistance backing into the tight site. Tight because of a nice shade tree. Plenty of room for slides and awning. We were not sure it the shade tree was a benefit or not during the NASTY thunderstorm that night. No rain, just wind and lightning.

Bathrooms are well used but very clean. We had no problem with road noise. Cable was fine as was WiFi. It is close to everything. Very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vernon B

Reviewed August 13, 2013

First, rv parks are new to me so this is not an experienced review! I found the park to be above average. The rest rooms were clean and the staff friendly. If there is a negative, it would be you are very close to your neighbor. However, the park exists to make money so I expect them to utilize their space. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Site 39 is next to the showers and restrooms. I found this handy. They also have tent sites and ca...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2013

One of the better places we stayed on our RV trip. Yes, it is by a road but we knew that before booking. If you want wilderness, go out of town. Close to many things and the front desk was very helpful, arranging free transportation to our rafting adventure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a motorcycle haven. The tent camping area is a half acre grassy area with no distinct camping sites. It is located right next to the busy road and the management allows motorcycles to ride into the actual tent area and park, which is ludicrous (unbeknownst to any paying customer). We set up tent and got to listen to loud, and I mean loud, motorcycles and cursing and swearing fights amongst drunken Harley Davidson riders right next to our heads. No lie. My mother and three boys were a little out of sorts. Lets just say, you want to be licensed to carry to feel safe here. Also, the price for tent camping is outrageous! $70 for two nights for 2 adults and 3 children. I suppose on the plus side, the showers are free. My suggestion, do not stay here even if you have to camp outside of city limits!!! It would be worth and extra $30 a night to even stay at the nearby motor inns in the town.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else but here. I am being very serious.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank InNeedofaGetaway
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We'd been camping in National Parks without facilities, so Ponderosa was a great break. They have sites by the river which are nice, but far from the bathrooms. We have kids 4-10yrs old, so we pitched tent right next to the playground. I think it was $30 per night. The bathrooms are right there as well with nice endless hot water and good pressure. Laundry is $1.75 to wash a load and I think was 8am to 9pm.

The staff is nice and they know the Cody area well. They have a store with most basic stuff.

Yes, it's a bit crowded and very much in the city. If you don't mind being far from the bathrooms, tent by the river.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We are tent campers and stayed in the “river” campsites way down in a ravine. The positive is we were far from the street noise. The other positive is this RV park is right in the heart of Cody, within walking or biking distance of everything. The negatives are that the tent camping sites are not really demarcated so people just set up wherever and things can get crowded. There are a couple of porta-potties down at the river sites but they are not serviced. In the 2 nights we stayed there the toilet paper was never replenished. There is an open oil barrel that serves as the single overflowing garbage can. At least this was dumped once a day. Other attractions of this area are piles of old, falling apart picnic tables and a hose that you have to get down on your knees to use. By the way, this is your only source of potable water. If you can manage to walk up the very, very steep grade to the bathhouse you will find it isn’t cleaned on a regular basis. In fact on my 2nd day there the shower head had been pulled completely off and I had to stand under a single gushing stream of water to bathe. The bathrooms near the office were no cleaner, although I did not shower there. In general I would say zero effort or money is put into maintaining this campground. I absolutely would not recommend staying here. I know I never will again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OregonLilac
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

campground is noisy, mainly due to the busy road it is on. very good customer service. Bathrooms were clean but out of soap and during a Norovirus outbreak in Yellowstone 50 miles away I think that is noteworthy. camping areas are nice, flat and grassy.

• Stayed: July 2013