“Baby moose trumps WIFI”

Ranked #17 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Cody
Hagerman, Idaho
“Baby moose trumps WIFI”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I was looking for a place close to the east entrance so that I could spend the entire day in YNP before continuing east and not have to drive far in case of a late winter storm. Reading some of the reviews on here I could see people who might really like the place get deterred, so let me address those issues. 1) WIFI. "oh no! I cannot update my Facebook status on how beautiful the view is from my super cute cabin". Come on, either you just spent several days in YNP or are about to-and all the good areas (non-commercially) lack wifi there too. You are in the middle of nowhere-this place is not in Cody or even in Pahaskee, it is literally around the bend from the rather remote east gate and aside from one very nice home on a hill it is isolated from the world-enjoy it. The world will not end if you put the smart phone down and spend time enjoying the view. I often use my phone as a crutch when dining alone because otherwise I find myself people watching-well, go to the lodges dining room and get the room facing across the road and you will have something amazing to stare at-beautiful mountains and a stream. 2) Limited menu. Again, this is a small lodge far enough from the next town that they do not get a lot of diners-a large menu means a lot of items that will go to waste. As it is, the dinner menu was quite extensive considering-there was a steak, chicken, and pasta dish, a kids menu, several soups, salad, and some appetizers. I had Rocky Mountain oysters (don't knock it til you try it) and home made chili. I looked at their breakfast menu and it rivals IHOPS or Dennys in variety. The prices were great and so was the food and the service. My server, I think her name was Tara, was from Chicago-all the kids working there come from all over the country. She was awesome. I left my dinner at one point to join the staff to stand in awe over a baby moose munching on grass by the gas station. You don't get that at the Super 8 in Cody 3) No TV. See #1. You are in a beautiful place-enjoy the sunset, watch the stars, listen to the moose and elk snort, and go to bed early for an early start to an awesome day at YNP. Dateline is probably a repeat and CNN is still rehashing the same story from 3 days ago. Their website is pretty clear there is no WIFI or TV so it should not be coming to you as a surprise when you arrive. 4) The rooms are small/expensive for the money. Yep, the rooms are pretty small. I will give you that. Again I knew that coming in. It was an A frame turned into 4 rooms. They also have cabins so those are bigger, but if you are a solo or couple traveling the A frame is a fine size. You are not using the room to hang out it all day-you are on vacation at YNP-one of the most beautiful and coolest natural places in the world (look at my travel map and realize just what I am saying). Do not try to stick a family of four into an A frame room. As for the price-sure, you can get a room at the Super 8 or whatever in Cody for less, and it will have a TV and WIFI and a McDonalds across the street. What you are paying for is the seclusion and the awesome proximity to YNP. Cody is like 50 miles from the gate (and your typical small hotel dominated strip mall town) while this place is like 2 miles. Try getting a room inside YNP for that price 5) Cleanliness. I still remember reading a horrible review of a hotel in Florida-the reviewer was complaining about bugs getting into her room-another review of a place on the beach in Tulum, Mexico complaining that there was a broom in the room to self sweep out sand during the day if you felt the need (I guess they thought housekeeping was supposed to swing down like ninjas and sweep every time he came in from the beach). I stayed at both those places and they were great. Was the cabin spotless? Well the shower was, which after my recent 10 day trip of 5 hotels I am reminded is not a common thing. I was the first person in the room for the season-cabins after being closed up all winter get bugs, mice, cobwebs, musty so I expected those things. I saw no bugs, no mice droppings, and while there was a very slight must smell when I first walked I did not notice it persist (and I have horrible mold allergies). As it was-my room was pretty much spotless. I was not crazy about the bed, it seemed old, but the room was adorable, the towels were way nicer than what I got the next day at the Alex Johnson in Rapid City, and the shower was nice and hot. I know they are replacing beds so I guess they did not reach mine yet-that is literally my only complaint. If you want neon lights and fast food and fast streams and paved lit walkways to your cabin shining from the glare of the TV-you will not like this place and really I am not sure you will like YNP. If you are looking for peace, solitude, baby moose, majestic views, friendly staff, great food and reasonable prices, all a short drive from YNP, then this is the perfect place to stay. Oh, and it is a historical site with some of Buffalo Bill Cody's original lodging still standing-they really need to open it up for day tours. I liked being somewhere so seeped with history.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the mountains. I could see the A frames being noisy when full and if t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
11 Thank serval_girl

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Moron de la Frontera, Spain
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed here 3 nights while touring Yellowstone Park. We chose it because it was 2 miles from the East Entrance Gate and considering the 27 mile to Fisher Bridge (approximately 45 mins drive) we wanted to be close. It is true there was a little musty smell from being closed the entire winter but the bed was great, the shower had lovely hot water and it was very clean. The food was brilliant and tasty esp breakfast. We had buffalo burger and fries one night again excellent. For us the only con was no wifi to check some locations we wanted to go to but I was happy not to check my cell or e-mail while on a vacation. I would so recommend this place to anyone. Moose just outside the property with great shots and long horn sheep just past the east entrance. Friendly people.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ItalianChicken1
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

All this place has going for itself is it's locations. The rooms are hideous and need a serious overhaul!! You can tell the owners don't care about the place or else they'd put some money back in the place.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Shoshonelover

Travelers are raving about these Cody hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

First of all, for those looking for modern delights then more fool them for booking at a property on the National Heritage List! A finer example of foolishness is difficult to find.

The cabin was clean and quiet. The staff took excellent care of us. We arrived late as the kitchen closed and still they fed us. The service aside, the food was great.

So do yourself a favour and ditch the whining. Book a cabin!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Devious_Gypsy
Reviewed May 16, 2014

There was no coffee machine in the room, no tv, no hair drier, no signal, no wifi. Rooms are old and there are spider nets in the corners!! And the price is expensive without all necessary appliances. Just the location is near to East entrance. Go Cody town if possible.And the front desk people is indifferent. I lost sth in the room, so I called them. But what they said was they cannot check the room right now. And without any caring words. I won't go there anymore! Never!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2014

On our stay in Yellowstone, we found this lodge along the hiway just a few miles from the east entrance to the park. Rustic and remote, it was a great escape from the stresses of everyday life.
Peaceful in a beautiful setting, hiking, horseback and general relaxation. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Brian078
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Nice great log cabin with whirlpool option, nicely furnished (Cabin style), but no internet - which is good at times! Don´t book cabins at the street, if you don´t want to listen to your neighbours conversation. Dinner really great and to much to recommend, very friendly staff. Nice and quiet location to get into Yellowstone Natl. Park, favourable above many others.

Room Tip: Nicht an der Straße - don´t choose cabins directly beside the road
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bjoern D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cody
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Best Western Sunset Inn
The Cody Hotel
The Cody Hotel
#3 of 29 in Cody
Best Western Premier Ivy Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cody - Yellowstone
Creekside Lodge at Yellowstone

Been to Pahaska Teepee Resort? Share your experiences!