“Close to the wildlife”

Ranked #20 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Cody
Stockholm, Sweden
“Close to the wildlife”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We loved our stay at the Pahaska Teepee resort. We stayed in a riverview cottage and had a nice, clean spacious room, overlooking the river. The mainbuilding has a good restaurant and bar, part from that there is "just" nature around. The Pahaska is really in the heart of wildlife.
At our arrival there was an elk standing grazing, almost right in front of our cabin and a bison on the lawn between the main building and our cottage. Later in the evening we where called out from the restaurant, as a grizzly was spotted up on the slope on the other side of the river!
Have to admit we where quite fast and alert on our way back to our cottage in the evening..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Patrik1212

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Key West, Florida
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We toured yellowstone and stayed at all entrances, and this was by far our favorite. Had a double queen deluxe riverside room and it was perfect. The dinner at the restaurant was the best we had in our 10 day trip. My husband had the elk medallions and I had the trout, both were wonderful. A little pricey but well worth it. We definitely recommend this one, in fact we suggest you don't miss it!

• Stayed June 2013
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Positives:
- Cute cabin - wood inside and out
- Very close to Yellowstone
- Tub drains well
- We were late, so they left the key out for us

Negatives:
- Bathroom door wouldn't close unless you slammed it, which would wake up family members
- No hair dryer, TV, internet
- Only 2 outlets in the room that we could find

Be aware that you will need to bring in all food, coolers, baby wipes, and anything containing a scent. There are bear warnings everywhere, although we didn't see any bears.

The view outside our room was absolutely lovely. I wish we hadn't been rushing off to Yellowstone, because I would have enjoyed sitting out and enjoying the view (and hoping bears wouldn't eat me while I was doing it.)

However, the very BIG negative about this place is the smell. At first I thought it was just a cabin smell, but my husband pointed out that it was a varnish smell. My children were bothered by it, and I became more concerned as time went by, because I know that breathing that smell in all night is not at all good for our health. There was no way to get away from the smell, and it was really, really strong. If you think you can handle breathing chemicals all night, this would be a fine place to stay if you want to stay really close to the park. There are other places to stay along this road, but I hadn't been able to find them them in my hotel search. I don't know if it's always this way, because it would be a real shame to ruin a place with such potential.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband, daughter and I stayed here for two days in June 2012. We absolutely loved it. Very rustic but the bathroom was very nice. Loved how close we were to the east entrance of Yellowstone. No cell phone service, but there was a land line in the room, which was very helpful. Restaurant was great and much cheaper than eating in Yellowstone. Next time we will definitely stay longer.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Mellie68
Powys, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Lovely situation to stay if you are visiting Yellowstone. Our cabin was small, and in need of new furnishings. The bathroom was adequate. Not a very welcoming cabin. The staff at the shop/ reception/ restaurant were very pleasant and helpful. Considering the historic nature of the lodge, I had expected more up to date faclilties in the cabin to welcome travellers. But it is close to the East entrance to Yellowstone so worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cath H
Nephi, Utah
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This place was rustic and I loved it for that. No TV, limited internet. Perfect - why else would you go to a place like Yellowstone if you didn't want to really get away. The location was just gorgeous, the restaurant food was good and all the staff were so helpful. It was very close to the East Entrance and each day we went back and forth into Yellowstone I felt like the journey was a meditation in itself. I was on a tour, so I didn't choose the places we stayed, but if I ever get to return to this beautiful land, I will definitely go back to Pahaska. The rooms were what you might call shabby chic, but I slept like a baby in that mountain air.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My friend and I were on a road trip and had been driving for more than 14 hours when we headed to Yellowstone at about 1AM in the morning. When we got to the front of the park all lodging was full! The closest place to stay that we could find was Pahaska Teepee. They had a room for us and we were relieved, because otherwise we may have had to drive all the way back to Cody.

We had a 2 bed cabin. It is very cute and cabiny looking for lack of a better word. Wood walls, not much decor, adequate bathroom. Well it turned out my friend got sick of food poisoning from a restaurant in Cody, and we needed to stay there another night. The original plan was get some sleep and move on. In the morning we called the front desk and they were able to get us a different room as the one we were in was taken, not a problem as we were happy that we didn't have to try to move my friend who was too sick to do anything. In the light of day we were pleasantly surprised by the scenery. Lots of trees and beautiful mountains surround the place. There is a gift shop and restaurant, and also a small grocery store on the premises.

The one downfall is that there was absolutely no cell phone service. As we hadn't planned on staying for more than a night this was a bit of a problem. Our familes were worried when they didn't hear from us, but we didn't want to make a phone call on a land line and get charged an arm and a leg. Normally I wouldn't have minded though, in a place so beautiful it can be nice to be disconnected from modern technology. Staff was very nice and helpful. The location is very convenient due to proxmity to Yellowstone. It's true that you can hear neighboring vactioners through the walls, but we didn't mind. Most people are out adventuring during the day and sleep pretty early in the evening, so it didn't really present a problem. I'd stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gina and Jamie V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cody
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Best Western Sunset Inn
The Cody Hotel
The Cody Hotel
#3 of 29 in Cody
Best Western Premier Ivy Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cody - Yellowstone
Creekside Lodge at Yellowstone

Been to Pahaska Teepee Resort? Share your experiences!