“Side order of "flies" anyone?”
Review of Terry Bison Ranch

Terry Bison Ranch
Ranked #22 of 199 Restaurants in Cheyenne
Reviewed August 1, 2012

There are far too few restaurants in the town of Cheyenne, in fact we couldn't find any place to eat in town that looked halfway decent. The clerk at the front desk of our hotel (The Hitching Post - don't fall prey to the photos and book a room there! Check out my review) recommended the Senator's Restaurant. It was quite a drive from town and at first glance seemed ok. The inside resembles a barn, large, open area with beams and a wooded floor. The place is very rustic and fairly dark (not a good sign). I don't eat meat and don't begrudge those who do (like my traveling companion) so I was ok with trying the place out. I can usually find something to eat even if it's just a large salad and some veggies. First we ordered drinks. From our table we could see the drinks sitting on the service bar, mine was straight up so it was getting warm; his was "on the rocks" so it was getting watered down. We flagged down a server and asked her to please get them. After that I had to go to the bar to order and pick up the drinks, then bring them to the table, it was faster. My honey ordered a steak ($34) I think it was a T-bone and I ordered the veggie burger (which I won't bother to review because you know already it was terrible). A good portion of the steak was left on the plate in the form of fat. The waitress suggested the salad bar but one look at the condition of the food - warm, flies all over everything- turned me off. There was one young man with a baseball cap on backwards (yup-that says it all) carving a big piece of meat (probably prime rib or bison) but the flies were landing on the meat. Now you have to remember this place grows its own meat for the restaurant and the ranch is nearby so where were those flies before they landed on your beef? Landing on a beef "byproduct" I'm sure. Not a pretty picture.The side of grilled veggies was mediocre and the baked potato was very small but tasty. As I said, you have few choices when in Cheyenne and we didn't stay long enough to investigate any other restaurants so I have no other recommendations. I would say check this website to find someplace with consistently excellent ratings, either that or take your chances here with the flies. There was one bright spot-the band was excellent and the drinks were cheap (even for premium liquor).

1  Thank Jack2621
There are newer reviews for Terry Bison Ranch

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Real Ranch building & decor, hard wood floors, acrylic table covers over the table cloths, fake flowers in mason jars. Menu big on bison naturally since it is a bison ranch. Two at our table had the short ribs, one said they were falling off the bone but the other had ones that were tough & chewy. Have to agree with another reviewer the BBQ sauce was way too sweet. Otherwise my bison meatloaf was tasty & moist (after removing the bbq sauce) didn't really get the bison flavor when asked if it tasted different than beef meatloaf. Grilled veggies were alright, fit the atmosphere. Portions were large but would prefer smaller portions, lower prices and everything of a higher quality. Prices are not compatible with the food, has allot of history & we drove around & saw lots of bison, horses, camels, ponies on the ranch after dinner. Can't do that at other restaurants & that was fun. Service was fine.

1  Thank Cogirl123
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We had the prime rib buffet, an excellent value for the reasonable price. The only downside was the cobbler was vertually uncooked.

1  Thank Wyosoldier
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We now live in SW FL and this was out last night in Wyoming. We truly wanted to experience a real Wyoming restaurant and I do believe we found it! They had a Prime Rib buffet with a small salad bar and bison soup. My friend chose the buffet and she was very delighted with it. While we were there, we saw 3 prime ribs being cut for dinner! My husband and I had the bison burgers. (Bison burgers need to be a bit undercooked as they tend to get very tough, so never order one well done!)

There is a full bar, although we did not have anything. Our waitress was very nice and we found out that she had made the dessert on the buffet! It was very good and I will try to make it at home!

This restaurant is a few minutes from town, but it is worth the drive!

1  Thank ChickPosseeGirl
Reviewed November 8, 2009

This place is overpriced touristy garbage.
Brought my friends out and we each had bison burgers. Had them try rocky mountain oysters too. The testicular appetizer was horribly greasy and only had like 3 slices for a hefty sum. Albany was a much better deal for what you got.

The burgers were typical with nothing extraordinary at all. Service was slow and the place was absolutely empty at lunch time except for a couple workers (or local drunks?) at the bar. The food wasn't bad but for the price I was expecting at least hand-cut fries, not frozen crap.

Three burgers, one appetizer and non-alcoholic drinks all came to $60. Simply unacceptable.

3  Thank porkfatty

Been to Terry Bison Ranch? Share your experiences!