“Give me a Home Where the Buffalo Roam”

Nelson Museum of the West
Ranked #16 of 47 things to do in Cheyenne
Reviewed October 3, 2013

What a wonderful place to spend an hour or two. They sort of have their own hours, so be prepared to visit the news stand until they open. Then for a nominal charge, i think $6 you get to tour the museum and take pics too.

1  Thank EnchantedTraveler1

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were absolutely amazed at all the memorabilia and antiques displayed in this 3 story museum. Mr. Nelson has dedicated his life to collecting fine examples of Western and American history, some very unique displays. I was dreading another museum for my poor husband, but he was as interested in as many things as I, so we browsed for several hours. The admission fee is very reasonable and I believe the monies are to fund scholarships. The museum was my favorite "thing to do" in Cheyenne.

2  Thank OHtravels
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Yet another Old West Museum and probably my favourite of the 3. Memorabilia throughout and artifacts and tales of the old west and better value than some of the others

2  Thank ManicUSAVisitor
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We knew about the Nelson Museum of the West from our trip preparation on TripAdvisor but what we actually found far exceeded our expectations.

The charge is $ 4 per head - it would be worth more just for the experience.

The museum covers 3 floors which includes the basement and there is an elevator.

The first item that really touched my inner little boy was that all this cowboy and cavalry stuff is real - including the costumes from Roy Rogers and Dale Evans!

The cavalry display was amazing - period uniforms, weapons and equipment from the time the cavalry came into the West thru WWII - just fantastic.

The weapons displays are awesome - real cowboy guns!

Perhaps you can tell I enjoyed this.

Do not fail to visit the Nelson Museum of the West - if you do you will regret it.

2  Thank Bulldawg
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Wonderful exhibit of the western culture. Cowboy & Indian artifacts-clothing, saddles, pottery, guns and much more. Little known, but worth finding.

1  Thank David L