“Worth a visit!”

Nelson Museum of the West
Ranked #15 of 48 things to do in Cheyenne
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a small but well-run museum - clearly the result of years of passionate collecting by an individual. We thought it was a little heavy on the historic military uniforms and guns of all kinds [but others might absolutely love that aspect], and we were also not very interested in the stuffed animal trophies from outside the American West. However, that being said, there are many interesting displays. Don't skip the third floor or lower level!

1  Thank RLane_11

Reviewed July 16, 2012

this museum has a fantastic collection of western artifacts and taxidermy it might be small but it is packed with interesting items and info it's an extremely well run place

even if you're just passing through you have to stop in it's worth it

Reviewed May 29, 2012

In my opinion, the best collection of Western memorabilia in Cheyenne

1  Thank Bill R
Reviewed May 26, 2012

This museum displays several artifacts from the old west. There is a huge variety from guns, clothing saddles, hunting trips, art, law enforcement, military and others subjects. I really enjoyed the Native American Pottery and the collection of some of the smallest guns in the west. There is a cell phone audio tour available. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

This "unknown" museum is a gem! It is clear that Mr. nelson has put his heart and soul in collecting and displaying western memorabilia in this amazing museum. I drove from Denver and believe me it would have been worth driving a 1000 miles to see what this museum has on display. Guns, saddles, uniforms, original Indian artifacts --- everything! Not only it is a great Western Museum, it is a GREAT museum of any kind. It packs so much history in such a small location that is is mind-boggling! I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and plan on taking all my friends there someday. Thank you Mr. Nelson, I salute you for your great effort and love of our Western heritage!