“Nice, Comfortable, Clean, Good Location, Quiet”

Central Plaza Hotel
and 1 more site!
Central Plaza Hotel
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Cheyenne
Denver
“Nice, Comfortable, Clean, Good Location, Quiet”
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Now the Central Plaza, the new owners have done a good job rejuvinating this hotel, good location in town near restaurants etc., but far enough away from the train tracks that train noise is not an issue. Good basic room, comfortable, clean. Nothing fancy, but a great value. Did not eat at the on-site restaurant so no comment on that. Owners were very accomodating, and beyond that nice people who seemed to be always on-site. Will definitely stay here again when in Cheyenne.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
South Dakota
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We were visiting for the Cheyenne Frontier Days due to all motels being booked this was our last resort, when we arrived at the hotel it was nothing like the pictures on the internet. The underground parking garage was real scary! Sewer leaking near our car. The elevators and halls were terrible dirty. We got our room it was on third floor, it looked like it hadn't been clean ever. It smelled terrible and just filthy dirty. We didn' even want to sit on beds. The balcony was loose and carpet was tore up on third floor. Needless to say we didn't stay there got our money back, and went to the Wingate on edge of town. Paid more but so worth it. Definately don't stay at this hotel!!

Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank HideawaysSouthDakota
Florence, Oregon
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I stayed at the former "Cheyenne Grand Hotel" which has been sold to a well-educated and friendly Egyptian couple and dramatically refurbished and has been renamed the "Central Plaza Hotel." The lobby was so-so. But the rooms had new carpeting, furniture, wall-cloth, drapes, bedding, , ceramic tile, plumbing fixtures, and up-grade towels. The new owners bought the hotel in late 2006 or 2007 and have spent a bundle on the rooms. So, unlike other,earlier reviewers, I had a very nice stay.
In addition to liking the room and the owners, I also liked the location--right downtown. Unlike many downtown hotels, the Central Plaza had ample parking on its own property. Most important, it was an easy walk to half dozen restaurants, the central events plaza, a big western-wear store, the state buildings, the historic core of Cheyenne, and even the stunning Cheyenne city library. A great place to walk around after a day in the car is a rarity.
The Central Plaza was a huge improvement over the plain-Jane-chain motels, but not as detail-perfect as the yuppie motels. But for a comparable room it was about half the price and had a whole lot to recommend it; not the least of which were the owner-operators who seemed to be on duty 24-7.
I was both pleased and impressed. From my experience, I think of the Central Plaza as a "find" and I plan to go back when I visit Cheyenne. R. Bruton, retired school administrator and builder in Florence, Oregon.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Sibotski
southern wyoming
Reviewed December 12, 2006

The worst motel/hotel I have ever encountered and I have been to a bunch of them. We had made reservations and we had a late arrival. The front desk gals checked us in, gave us a key and told us to use the elevator. We couldn't find the room but there was a BIG party going on in a room with the door wide open. We asked a girl hanging outside that party if she knew where the room was. She did and pointed us to it. We left the pot filled area and went to find our room. We noticed a mattress leaning against the railing outside our room. We unlocked the door and found the box springs half off the bed laying on the floor. The top mattress was outside! I kid you not! There was no bedding. The foul smell of stale cigarettes and alcohol were overwhelming and nauseating. The bathroom door had a huge hole in it that you could see right through. We hauled our luggage back down to the lobby and complained. She gave us another key and my wife said that the desk girl should go with her and show her the room before we hauled our luggage up there again. And quite frankly, my wife didn't feel safe with all the people partying up there. I stayed with our luggage/packages. We didn't feel that the parking lot provided any safety to even leave our packages inside our locked vehicle! My wife and a gal from the front desk went up the elevator and when the desk girl opened that room there was a couple in bed!!!! (and they were not sleeping) My wife was mortified. I was ticked off and tired. We wanted our credit card credited and asked that they find us a room. They booked us a room at the Holiday Inn which I suggested that they pay for it because of all the trouble we had indured. They would not do that. The Grand Plaza is a flop house, a dump, poorly run and if you ask to talk to the owner, he can not be located. The front desk gals didn't even know where he was but had a cell number. I called that number and got the owner. I told him what I thought and that I thought he should PAY for a room at another motel. Even though he had a heavy Mid-Eastern accent, I understood perfectly that he could care less! Stay far, far, away from this pigstye.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — too numerous to list
  • Tips/Secrets — stay far away. do not stay here.
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Laurie H
Gilette Wyoming
Reviewed December 7, 2006

My reservations were made through them personally, I particully asked how was the hotel and the rooms. The man i spoke to was the owner, I did not know this at the time of the reservation on the phone. He told me "of course this place is nice, that is why we are called the grand plaze hotel. When me and my wife checked in I paid for 3 nights on my credit card. I was not in the room but 3 minutes before i realized that we have made a mistake. we immediatly went back to the lobby and the gentleman that was working was really nice, he called the owner to approve the refund and it was approved. Outside the young man at the front desk being helpful and friendly, i would not recomend this hotel to anyone that has any respect for themself. The place stunk horribly, the swimming pool was closed. the restaurant was out of business. and the place was just over all filtyy.

• Liked — desk clerk
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay Away
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank krazyoleme
Outer Banks, North Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2006

My mother, sister and I were so excited to spend a weekend together in Cheyenne for Frontier Days as I was visiting from North Carolina. My Mom had booked the "Grand" Hotel due to the fact that it was the last available option...as soon as we pulled up we realized that the hotel was anything but Grand at $139 bucks a night! At first we just thought, "what a dump" but the situation changed when we encountered the unkept and disheveled looking woman at the front desk and were watched by the constantly hovering management who seemed to be staring at us in a way that made us feel uncomfortable throughout the entire checking-in process. First, we waited at the elevator for about 10 minutes for it to arrive, but that was only the start of our problems. As grossed out as we were we knew this was the only possibility of lodging so we just dealt with it. Our room smelled completely sour and smoky even though it was non-smoking...the shower curtain had a dark brown stain (blood?) on the inside of it, the tv had no remote, the vents were covered in dust, none of the decorations matched, the carpet also was covered in brown stains, we actually had to go out and buy three air fresheners to deal with the stench. That night we fell asleep laying our own blankets on top of the bed, as it was questionable that any of the bedding had been washed. At about 4am I awoke to my Mom extremely startled...I looked up at the strange vent that was above the door and could see it moving open and closed as if someone was peeking in on us! I asked her just that in my sleepy stupor and she said that she'd be woken up by the sound of someone trying to open our door and that she could see someone peeking in with a tiny flashlight through the cracks in the curtains and through the vent above the door. We laid in complete fright for the rest of the night, had to call downstairs three times, and actually pushed the table against the door. The next morning we went downstairs (livid) and confronted the same woman at the front desk who then got the "owner" of the hotel who tried to convince us that it was someone that they'd previously fired and had been trying to sleep in their vacant rooms. We told him that there were fingerprints on our vent and cigarette burns on the carpet, he tried to brush it off as no big deal, he offered to move us to a few different rooms, when we finally looked at them, they all were lacking a chain lock on the door and screens in the vent above the door, the very thing that was the problem the night before. One of the rooms he offered us smelled so terrible it was unbearable so we took the one across from his room that he stayed in when he was there, which honestly made me uncomfortable as I found him to be completely creepy. As we were moving our stuff from the 4th to 5th floor we walked past one of his family members rooms and the door was wide open and the room was a disaster with garbage and old food all over the place, and to top it off a Hookah on the table, nevertheless, the door stayed open all day for everyone to see...and his relative was completely passed out. The second night we were so scared that we put two pillows up in the vent since it had no screen, a table and ottoman in front of the door, and another table and chair in front of some strange connecting door to another room. Both my mom and I slept with one eye open. We were never so happy to check out of a hotel...it wasn't even worth freaking out again to any employees we were just happy to make it home safe and alive! Never stay at this hotel, it's a total nightmare, it should be called "The Grand Horror Hotel"! I work in the vacation management business and let me assure you this staff and hotel know nothing about customer service, safety, or how to maintain a nice place of lodging.

• Liked — The moment when we walked out of the door to go home!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay 500 feet away at all times!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
9 Thank alise88
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I wish we would have read the review that was posted before we booked. We booked for 2 nights based on the descrition of the hotel. When we arrived the first night after 15 hours in the car we were exhausted. Our children did not feel safe in this hotel. They did not sleep most of the night. The lobby looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months, the elevator was just plain gross, the rooms were horrible. The kids room (which adjoined ours) didn't even have a door knob on the inside. My husband is asthmatic and the heat vent was literally caked closed with filth. There was no way to adjust the climate control as the entire unit had been dismantled. When we looked at the pool it was filthy. You couldn't even see the bottom. There was unidentifable stuff floating in the water. It literally smelled like the sewer had backed up in it. When we checked out in the morning, there was no way we were going to stay another night, they would not refund our prepaid night. I would strongly encourage any person looking for lodging in Cheyenne to steer clear of this establishment.

Stayed October 2005