“It ranks up with Hyatt, Westin and other fine hotels in every department” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Historic Plains Hotel

The Historic Plains Hotel
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Cheyenne
sparks, nv.
“It ranks up with Hyatt, Westin and other fine hotels in every department”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

Our party was pleasantly surprised with the attention they gave us at the Plains Hotel in Cheyenne, Wyoming. We will return with smiles. I cannot find one thing that was not perfection including meals, service, rooms, lemo service when needed. It felt as if they were family. As information our group included several Presidents and CEOs of major companies who have definitely stayed at major elegant hotels.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

I Loved the Historic Plains Hotel! Cheyenne is a tiny city in a vast, largely unpopulated state and a convenient place to rest your head for the night if you traveling across the huge expanses of the American West on your way to somewhere else. The hotel is about 100 years old (ancient in these parts) and shows her age very gracefully. There is a player piano in the lobby, plenty of frontier artwork, and great architectural features. The elevator is tiny but works very well. Best of all, for single travelers like myself, there is a full service restaurant with a beautiful bar on the first floor. The food is good if not a bit overpriced. I overheard another patron at the bar tell another guest that the Capital Grille is the best restaurant in Cheyenne. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true. There is also a good coffee shop on the first floor as well.
My room had a comfortable bed and free wireless internet. As other reviewer have mentioned, the hot water takes a very long time to come up in the shower. For me, it never did get hot and I had to settle for a slightly warmer than cold shower. Not very inviting in a state as cold as Wyoming is in March. Nevertheless, I wouldn't let that prevent me from staying there if ever I am to find myself in Cheyenne. I realize the hotel is old and there may not be anything to do about the hot water issue but I would hope the management would come up with another solution than their recommendation that you let the water run for 10 minutes. One would think that in a state as dry as Wyoming that water would be a precious resource and more should be done to foster conservation. That being said, I also know the high cost of replumbing the building or adding "on demand" hot water heaters might be prohibitively expensive.
There no parking connected to the hotel but the staff will direct you to a courtesy lot a couple of blocks away. There is plenty of on street spots nearby. Beware the 2 hour limit during the day but you can leave your call all night as long as you move it by 10 a.m.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
I highly recommend this charming, quirky hotel for it's warm atmosphere and exceptional value that is conveniently located off I80.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank DorchesterTraveler
LITTLETON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

WOW. This Was such a neat experience. The PLAINS HOTEL was NOTHING less than breath taking. BEAUTIFUL well furnished rooms, with A hotel staff that WANTS nothing but YOUR comfort and SATISFACTION. We stayed over ST, PATS weekend. the in house restaurant ( CAPITOL GRILL) had the most YUMMY corned beef and cabbage. After the wonderful meal, We enjoyed the live music with great drink specials and had fun with loviing people and bar staff! . We relished the whole evening. THANKS PLAINS HOTEL... FOR A WONDERFUL WEEKEND GETAWAY... BE BACK SOON.

1 Thank BCOOP
usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

and that's a good thing. We've spend days packing and moving and now driving across country for six months. We put 97% of our belongings in storage.

One night on our trip we stayed at my in-laws and that was a dream. Two nights were disasters. Tonight my husband and dog are sound asleep. Actually Zoe is so happy she's upside-down and that doesn't happen in a regular hotel.

This hotel has character, sound walls, and is nicely appointed. It's interesting, bathroom-wise but anyone who's ever had a century-old apartment will get it.

We are recommending it to not only my blog, but my Aunt Lorna. I can't wait to see the trains in a few hours. Sorry I can't give you more but we're moving and brought our dog so can't eat anywhere. We'd love to come back!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

Stayed at the Historic Plains Hotel from Mar 13-15. The hotel was gorgeous. Our room, the King Presidential Suite was to die for with 2 baths (1 being a Jacuzzi tub) and plenty of room to gather together with friends. It was St Patty's Day weekend celebration at the restaurant, The Capital Grille. They had live music on Saturday night and served up the BEST Corned Beef and Cabbage we've ever heard (our kudos go out to the Chef). The restaurant was great, the Hotel staff very accomodating and polite and the Hotel very well maintained. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank stssepd
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

During my recent visit to Cheyenne, Wyoming, I visited The Historic Plains Hotel and inquired about room and meeting space availability for an upcoming event. I was given a personal tour and was honored to discover the tour guide was the actual hotel manager, Bill.

Not only was he gracious and knowledgeable, but he also provided a history lesson on the Cheyenne downtown area and the hotel itself. His description of details and the importance of architectural features throughout the building truely enhanced the experience and gave me a whole new appreciation of the buildings legandary reputation.

The real value, however, was the condition of the refurbished suites and rooms. Many of the original features, such as the tile floors were preserved but updated amenities gave the rooms an aire of nostalgia and convenience all at once. I could just imagine the history that had been made in the past but could also see how our reunion held at the Historic Plains Hotel could become an historic event for our family and friends. Thank you Bill for your kindness and hospitality and for "paying it forward" through your commitment to continued "History Making" at the Plains Hotel.

Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2009

I stayed at The Historic Plains Hotel a few weeks ago and, let me tell you it was quite a nice surprise. With its charming elegance and history the Plains Hotel is a great place to spend a weekend away. Our room was very spacious with two beds and a large sitting room area. I always inspect for cleanliness when I travel and this hotel was very clean. From the bed to the bath it was all clean. The staff was very nice and willing to help with directions or ideas on where to go in town. To top it all off the Capital Grill located in the hotel was delicious! I would defiantly recommend the Plains to anyone who is traveling to Cheyenne.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends