The Historic Plains Hotel
$85
My Place Hotel-Cheyenne, WY(Cheyenne)
$89
Days Inn Cheyenne(Cheyenne)(Great Value!)
$85
Agoda.com
$120
$96
Travelocity
All reviewsstreet noiseparking garageold westheart of downtownstained glasstrain depotlots of historycookie cutteran older hotelbed was comfortablenight's sleepcheyenne frontier daysroad tripartifactsparadevintagecowboy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 12, 2013

After phoning Liz at the Plains Hotel, she explained about the bad review on TripAdvisor, assuring me all was fine at the Plains. We had a lovely corner suite......housekeeping somehow forgot a few items which we chased after, like glasses and coffee/creamer etc. Room decor was great. AC unit was not that great and it was hot. A ceiling fan or floor fan would have been very useful. (sometimes we do travel with one) We were aware that we were on the corner of the hotel and were prepared for street noise, but it was minimal. Our not good report was that my sister-in-law got stuck in room 349 - - with a non working opaque window. We should have asked for another room but we were all settled when we discovered what wasn't behind the curtain! No view. And the hotel was not full..... I wrote Liz at the hotel and suggested they either discount this room or make it into a closet. No reply. So, make sure you get a working window w/either street view or roof view, afterall it is an old hotel! Dinner and breakfast were both good. If you like historic, then this could be the perfect place for you.

Room Tip: Room 226. Bring a fan!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Historic Plains Hotel is a well-maintained glimpse into the past. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the decorative lobby and the historic aspects throughout the hotel.

The staff was professional and friendly, even when I asked to book an extra night on short notice. We did have to change rooms between the first and second night (on account of my short notice, not any fault of the hotel), but it was interesting to stay in another part of the hotel with a different room layout. Both rooms were very clean and nice, with plenty of room for all the junk I normally travel with.

We also had the pleasure of eating at The Capitol Grill while staying at the hotel. Though it was more of a classy bar and grill than a steakhouse, my boyfriend and I still had a delicious dinner and a couple Blue Moons with the tastiest orange slices I’ve ever had in a beer.

Though we did not attend an event in the banquet rooms, I did walk past them on one occasion, and found them to be spacious and lovely. They are also off the beaten path, making it easy to have an element of privacy and/or seclusion for your event.

I would definitely stay at The Historic Plains Hotel again, and I will be recommending it to friends and family. Perhaps I will even plan an event there in order to use their lovely banquet rooms.

We did not have any issues with excessive noise during our stay, though the rooms around us may have been empty (or occupied with quiet individuals), and both of our rooms were located off Central Ave. If you fear the noise, bring earplugs, it’s not worth passing up due to something so easily remedied.

I apologize for how long this review is. Thank you for reading it in its entirety.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a great one night stay at the Plains Hotel. It is a beautiful historic place. The bedroom and bathroom were spotless. The hotel is located in a neat section of Cheyenne, within walking distance to several restaurants, and close to the Capitol.
Very comfortable room, although the Wi-Fi was pretty week. The only negative thing I have to remark on is the lack of parking. If you are lucky enough to get a spot on the street, great. If not, you have to valet. This might not bother some people, but when traveling in a strange city, it's nice to have easy access to your car and all of your belongings.
But, everything else was fabulous and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This historic hotel is just that.....historic! We were traveling with three kids (5, 8 & 9) and my folks as we were passing through to Estes Park, CO. I have a friend that lives in Cheyenne and she tipped me off to this hotel. My dad and my husband are both history buffs that love the wild west stuff. I decided to book this hotel just so that it was something different than your normal hotel. It was really cool to get caught up in the allure of the past and think about all the people who passed through there. Walking around and looking at the pictures on the wall, reading the letters that people have written about he hotel and seeing the furnishings was really cool. My dad and husband loved it and so did my mom and I. Check-in did take a very long time and was quite a process to get through. Just be prepared for this as it seems to be a common theme. There was only one person at the counter and there was a line of several people. Lots of other employees came and went without helping get people check in which was a little frusterating. It did give us time to look at the lobby and take in some of the history. This is an odd thing to say but I will just throw it out there as it was a glitch in our trip. From the second we walked in, our three kids described the hotel over and over as "creepy" they flipped out and would not go in the VERY small elevator and they hated the room because there was a big wall that divided it into two sections. They hardly slept and insisted that we keep a light on all night. They were all convinced that it was haunted but I really don't know where they were getting that from. The four adults LOVED it and all agreed that we would stay there again. It is just a fun trip back in time. Be prepared to wait for your hot water but just think about the time period that it was built in and what a luxury hot running water would have been in the early 1900's. We take a lot for granted these days and this hotel is a fun throwback and is just like staying in a museum. I recommend it but our kids don't want to go back for whatever that is worth.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here recently, my 4th time as it's a convenient stop when traveling. The historic, unique character is a plus. The in-hotel restaurant is convenient and quite good for hearty food. They have a shuttle van with helpful drivers. The rooms show their age, however, with small, unadorned bathrooms (wait 5 min for hot water) and old decor that feels shabby.

Room Tip: Select one of the better, larger rooms (best I have seen is #226, a king-corner with sitting area), discounted for AARP/AAA.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business