The Historic Plains Hotel
$90
$123
ComfortInn
My Place Hotel-Cheyenne, WY(Cheyenne)
$105
$101
$119
$130
$116
All reviewsstreet noiseparking garageold westheart of downtownstained glasstrain depotlots of historycookie cutteran older hotelbed was comfortablenight's sleepcheyenne frontier daysroad tripartifactsparadevintagecowboy
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at the Plains in December, a location I had wanted to stay for many years. The Hotel is not new, but it is filled with history and is well maintained. The furniture in the lobby is worth looking at, sitting in and writing a letter in, as travelers have done for around a century. This is the place where so many have passed. The rooms are clean and well appointed, only thing you need to bring is your own boots and hat. Get a room off the main street, it will be quieter, we will no doubt be back.

Room Tip: The front rooms have a great view of the train station and square, but the rooms off of the main street will prove quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Gunter O, General Manager at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the history of what the Plains Hotel has to offer. The hotel is 102 years old and holds very dear to all of our staff’s hearts.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had to stay here because of business. Reservations were already made and I had no say. The hotel lobby is nice, and the front desk staff are very polite and helpful. They gave me tips on what to see, where to eat, etc. A friendly bunch.

The rooms: let's start with the bathroom... pink washbasin, avocado tile, and an old bathtub. It felt like I took a time machine and landed in 1960. It takes about 10 minutes for any hot water to come out of the shower. I guess that's the "charm" of staying in an old hotel. There is a sign above the window unit that says do not turn the a/c over 8 (on a scale of 1-10) because it freezes.That was funny. Again, this is what happens when you stay in an old hotel.

The hotel restaurant is a Capitol Grille, not to be confused with the national chain Capital Grille. Once again, service at the restaurant is excellent. The food, however, needs an overhaul. The English muffins in my eggs benedict were burnt, and the friend chicken in my salad was dry as a bone.

The redeeming features are the great staff and historic significance. However, the hotel is in dire need of a renovation. It is still a better option compared to other hotels in Cheyenne.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. As the Plains Hotel has went through many changes since June. Just to name a few, we have resolved the hot water issue as well as introduced a new chef into our mists who has brought a new vibrancy to our menu and restaurant.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

A late spring snowstorm caused me to have to overnight it in Cheyenne. Based upon the reviews here on TripAdvisor, I decided to do so in the Plains Hotel.

Like many other historic properties, there is no on-site parking. Street parking is time-restricted by day and can still be challenging to find at night. Their "official" parking lot is on the other side of the I-180 viaducts, next to where the Union Pacific Railroad employees park their cars. The sign on the lot says to call the hotel for pickup. There is also a modern city-owned parking garage two blocks away at Lincolnway and Carey that I believe is free of charge and is a bit closer walk than their official lot.

Speaking of railroad, if you are a rail fan you will want a room on the southeast side (Lincolnway side) of the hotel, facing the Cheyenne Rail Depot and the UP yards. The downside is that side is the noisiest side of the hotel as it overlooks the I-180 viaducts. Even from the top floor, I could still hear traffic 5 stories below.

The hotel is beautifully refurbished, but still retains enough of its 100 year old self to give it its charm. So yes, the elevator groans (and is tiny), the floors creak, the original wood-framed windows are a bit drafty, and it takes a while for the water in the shower to get hot. But if you're willing to put up with those minor inconveniences, you get a hotel so full of Wild West character that you half-expect to see Buffalo Bill Cody in the lobby. Modern day local cowboys still frequent the Plains Hotel's bar and restaurant, which I do recommend. Dinner is moderately priced, and each guest gets a coupon good for either a free breakfast buffet or $5 off any other breakfast menu item.

I was upgraded to a suite and it was very spacious, spotlessly clean, and comfortable. The exception, as noted previously, are the pillows. They were disappointingly flat and even with two of them beneath my head they didn't give adequate support.

The price for my stay was quite reasonable, more than Motel 6 but in line for a typical mid-priced hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RonTheTraveler
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My son and I traveled to Cheyenne from the Denver area to spend the weekend at the hotel because he read it might be haunted. My son thinks he found evidence, but I cant say for sure. The staff were great, especially Tron Brown (sales and guest services). They took us on a tour of the basement and were extremely friendly and welcoming.

Our room was great, clean and spacious. This is a fun historic hotel. We wondered all the halls and stairways exploring it's unique features. There are many nice restaurants nearby and a nice restaurant in the hotel. There is also an old movie theater across the street, showing fairly recent movies at half the price.

Prices at the hotel more than fair. If your interested in old hotels, at a fair price, this is the place. Thanks to all the staff. We enjoyed our stay. We will be back soon for another ghost hunting adventure.

My sons evidence of hauntings included spikes in his emf meter, compass movement and spirit box sounds. I had a good nights sleep and enjoyed spending some time with my son. Best part.

• Stayed: April 2013
Gunter O, General Manager at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I will share your comments with my staff as we strive in our customer satisfaction. We look forward to having you and your son as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

First stepping back on Trip Advisor reviewers there seems to be the human
instinct to whine over something before a positive input.
I had mixed feelings about The Plains going into our reservation after reviewing
comments on Trip Advisor but the historic element combined with a downtown
location won us over.
And with further reservations I would recommend the experience notwithstanding
the lack of hot water combined with functioning shower in our room ... CHECK out
the functionability of your room before occupation.
As I write this review from Vail after one week in our upgrade room in Steamboat combined
with another 3 nights on the road ... your hotel stay is NOT necessary about
the accomodation but about the PEOPLE ... in ALL our stays including this morning we
hear the thumping and bumping of our neighbours. Other than the unbaffled bikes
ripping past The Plains ... it has been our quiet stay of the bunch.
Best, after the fine historic details of The Plains, it was the location.
A pleasant walk to the Morris House and back through the downtown
was extremely satisfying considering our refreshment level coming from
a wonderful meal. The walk did everyone good.

And on our road trip the night after the music from the next room
woke us up at 1 in the morning.
Apparently, as the room was vacant, as previous inhabitant
thought is was funny setting the radio alarm for a late
night surprise. The front desk told us this was not uncommon; sad.

Room Tip: As stated do a functionability review before hitting the pillow.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

First I would like to say thank you for your comments. I do apologize as well as truly concerned regarding your stay, And would like to discuss with you further regarding. please contact me at your earliest inconvenience on my personal cell phone 307-359-2036