“Management issues”

The Historic Plains Hotel
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Cheyenne
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed here in January, and the place is pretty nice. I liked the restaurant and the location in the middle of town was pretty convenient. The rooms are a little small, but the place is 100 years old so it was understandable. The staff was pretty nice as well.
My only problem came at check-out. There was a small problem with my bill, and I asked to see the manager. The lady at the desk pointed him out since he was there in the lobby, but when I went to talk to him, he only said that he didn't have time right now and walked off. I didn't even get his name, he was just some old German guy. I couldn't help but feel disrespected. I went back to the desk and we figured the bill out (turns out it was my own misunderstanding). Everything was great up to that point, and the hotel itself was nice, but the management needs to be more attentive to their guests.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank tim j
Gunter O, General Manager at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

First I would like to say thank you for your comments. I would like to apologize for your inconvenience during your check out. Unfortunately I do not recall the incident but would like to discuss with you at your earliest convince. I am very embarrassed regarding this issue as it is very unlike me to not take care of any issue our guests have with a direct and immediate approach.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had to travel here for a double Funeral. The staff was very good to us! We love going when it's Frontier Days, but even in a time of sorrow, they made our trip great! The breakfast has a lot to choose from and is children friendly. Great location, the History of the Hotel is awesome. The founder was from Morris, IL. Many famous people have stayed there. Read the history and feel the ambiance.

Room Tip: The King parlor had tons of room, great decor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Gunter O, General Manager at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am deeply sorry for your loss. I am very pleased to hear how accommodating my staff was to you and your family in your time of need. I will be passing this on to them to read. We look forward to having you as our guest once again during Frontier Days.

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

The Plains Hotel is my "go to" place in historic downtown Cheyenne. It is walking distance to the Depot Plaza and Mueum, The Capitol Building. The Plains offers shuttle service other places around town. If you're in town for Frontier Days the last week in July? I recommend getting a corner suite - the best for parade watching. The rooms are all restored with that western flair. In the morning - the breakfast buffet isn't just toast, cereal and coffee, it is a full breakfast buffet that includes bacon, eggs, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, as well as the basic continental breakfast fare. "Meet you at the Plains!"

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for wonderful comments Alan. We enjoy having you as our frequent guest here at the Plains Hotel.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This historic downtown hotel has lots of character. They have done a pretty good job of preserving this ancient hotel. It takes you back in time. The rooms have been modernized to an extent, with new carpet, refrigerators, microwaves and TV's. So why for goodness sake can they not supply the rooms with decent pillows? The pillows are horrible. I woke up with a sore neck and achey back. Please, please, do your clients a small favor and buy new pillows.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gunter O, General Manager at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for being our guest at the Plains Hotel and your comments regarding our captivation historic hotel, also for bringing to my attention regarding the issues with our pillows. In regards I have brought this to my head housekeeper’s attention and an order for new pillows has been placed.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Beautiful old historic building. Would bring family back if it wasnt for the bad service. The shuttle never showed up to get me at 1pm, at 2pm I called a taxi to take me to the hotel. Tron the man that said the shuttle would pick me up at 1 argued with me that he did not forget. Gave me one excuse after another why the shuttle was not there. The simple fact is, the shuttle never showed. Next morning went to eat breakfast at the Grill, and the two service people that were there watched me take a seat, then kept on chatting away with each other. Not once did they come by to bring a menu or take a drink order. After sitting there 5 minutes or so I got up and left. Asked the lady at the front desk if there was another place to eat near by. She directed me back to the hotel grill. I informed her that I would like to go somewhere that actually waited on me. Was told at that time in a very tacky voice that it was a serve yourself buffet. Did not want the buffet, wanted to order off the menu. I know they have one because I was reading it on the way down in the elevator, it is taped to the wall.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bernius35

First I would like to say thank you for your comments. here at the Plain Hotel we take great pride in our customer service to do whatever it takes to make our guest feel as comfortable and appreciated as possible, therefore I am truly displeased on how you were treated during your stay with us and will be bringing this to the attention of my staff as well as contacting you personally regarding this matter.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We just stayed at the historic Plains. It is the best location in downtown Cheyenne. This is one of my favorite grand old hotels. Full of antiques, history and art. The staff was great...offered valet parking and we even got a coupon for breakfast! The rooms are clean and roomy. We were there for a legislative meeting. Our banquet was great, and the breaks were yummy. Lots of food! Looking forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Have stayed in several of the hotel's rooms. Some are large "parlor" rooms or suites...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for being our guest at the Plains Hotel as well as your comments. Our staff takes great pride in customer satisfaction. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our breakfast buffet it is a new addition to the hotel but seems to be working out very well.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Don't miss the Plains Hotel in Cheyenne! The stained glass 'roof' in the Lobby is simply exquisite! And tons of Moleworth Furniture. Built in the days when their clients arrived by Union Pacific the parking is a little lacking around the Hotel itself but the City Parking garage is withing 2 blocks and there is a drop off zone for you to unload your luggage. Rooms are historic and charming and clean. The Capitol Grille is a great place to eat and we got coupons for a free breakfast buffet which made the room very affordable. We were there for a convention and the steak we had at the banquet was excellent, as was the entire meal and the service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Gunter O, General Manager at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

As the General Manager I would like to personally thank you for your comments. As I and the staff here at the Plains Hotel take great pride in our customer service. Our complimentary breakfast buffet is recently new to our hotel and I am pleased to hear it is having such great response. We look forward to having you as our guest again real soon.