“Penny's Diner is GREAT! Hotel, not so much”

Oak Tree Inn Cheyenne
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Cheyenne
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I will start the review with positive information: The hotel rooms are very nicely furnished (refrigerator and microwave combo plus coffee maker), the bed was super comfortable, the water pressure was great and we had plenty of hot water; the breakfast voucher for Penny's Diner was more than adequate - the food is plentiful and the staff is fabulous (every server and cook we interacted with was just fantastic - cheerful and energetic - the highlight of our stay); the hotel is in a great location within walking distance of the Frontier Mall and plenty of restaurants and service establishments.

Now for the not-so-positive information: We checked in on Thanksgiving and our room was not cleaned or serviced for two days in a row. After returning to our room from a long day on Friday we saw that the room had not been touched. Complained to the "front desk" (actually a counter in Penny's Diner), she apologized and said that housekeeping would be notified of the error and we received new towels and our trash was taken away. Came back on Saturday after a long day - same thing. No service. My husband went to "have a little chat" with management. They moved us to a new room and gave us vouchers for a free dinner in the Diner.

Also of note: The room temperature is very hard to regulate. Moving the setting just a tiny bit would change the air blowing out from cold to hot and vice versa. Lots of strange noises coming from the room and the building itself. There was an occasional banging noise that we never could figure out where it was coming from. Also, the internet is s-l-o-w but at least it's free.

This is a contract hotel for Union Pacific railroad employees and they appear to make up the bulk of the clients. Not a criticism, just an observation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kcl491
There are newer reviews for Oak Tree Inn Cheyenne

Reviewed September 26, 2012

No customer service at all the reception is in the dinner and the girls in there have no knowledge of the hotel. We booked a 'Quiet and dark! Full XL bed, micro and fridge, lounge chair, desk, coffee, iron and board, hairdryer' please note a full XL bed is smaller than a queen bed - we asked to be changed but they did not offer any other rooms. We also requested a room on the ground floor but they gave us a room on the second floor (no lift) - again they did not offer when I asked a ground floor room. Price of the room $55 plus tax. They do give you a voucher $7 each for a breakfast but the clientele in the dinner was questionable!! The hotel is right next to the airport - my fault I did not check. about 5am a large cargo plane took off we woke me. We mainly booked the hotel as it was near to Chilli's 5/10 min walk

Room Tip: Not sure I can help you here - what you request you don't get!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

On our way to CA we stayed overnight at the Oak Tree Inn. We were a little surprised to see that you actually check in for the hotel at the diner just across the parking lot. The staff was very nice and the rooms were clean. Breakfast is free at Penny's diner (or discount towards meal). Penny's is open 24 hours, which is great if you arrive late, since the majority of restaurants in the vicinity are closed. The hotel has a "lounge" area with recliners surrounding a tv, a computer room and a workout room. For the price, I would stay there again. It wasn't fancy, but definitely comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Oak Tree Inn. The rooms were clean and quiet, and we slept well. The best part was the breakfast at the Penny's Diner. If you are tired of the usual Continental Breakfast, you will appreicate the hearty breakfast at the diner.

Room Tip: We had a room in the back of the hotel and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

On the way from the Rocky Mountains National Park to Mount Rushmore, we stayed in Cheyenne. The Oak Tree Inn was OKish, the room was clean, but we had a noisy vending machine just outside the door.
What we did like was the breakfast in the traditional diner next door (where we also picked up the key for the room).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My Step-Son age 16 was traveling with his mother and was put in a situation that caused him to be left alone and stranded in Cheyenne Wyoming at 10:30pm. His father (has legal custody) and I located in Oregon had no way of getting this boy home. While on the phone with our son we were able to get him in a cab and heading to the airport. He found that the local airport was closed and did not open till the next day at 7am. The cab driver took him to the closest hotel and left him. He was told at this hotel that there were no rooms available.
He then walked to the next Hotel (Oak Tree Inn) and was told that he could not get a room. I spoke to the individual that was working at the hotel that night and they stated that they would not take a credit card over the phone and the only way that they would help us is if we faxed a copy of our credit card and photo ID to prove that we owned the card and whatever else.
I explained that we did not have a fax machine (not sure how many average families have a fax machine in their homes but I know that we do not and not sure if we would find use in something like that these days) I proceeded to ask if we could email a scanned copy of these thing to them. He explained that he did not have access to the company email and that would not work. I explained that my son was only 16 and we were in Oregon and had no way of getting him and he needed a place to stay that would be safe until he could get to the airport the next morning. I did not want him to continue to walk around on the streets in the late hours of the day. This man proceeded to tell me that he would not help us and that even the police could not help us.
Our son sat in a booth at the 24 hour diner that was attached to this hotel all night until 6am the next morning. He then called a shuttle to pick him up and take him to the airport. During the time he was at this diner he says many scary people (hookers and sketchy looking people) coming in and out. So this place was most certainly not a place for a child to be and even more so not by himself.
This was the worst experience in our lives and hope that no one ever has to be left alone in the town of Cheyenne Wyoming. If you are traveling near this town Please do not stop!!! I can only hope that this town does not treat their locals this way.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kimmlie H
Reviewed July 15, 2012

There was nothing really special about the hotel. The room was very plain. It seemed pretty clean, but our dogs were very busy sniffing. We figured that the very cool temp of the room was to help mask smells. This was the only room in a 6000 mile road trip that our dogs behaved this way. I can't imagine that they were the first animals to stay in any of the other rooms along our route. That being said, this hotel is right next to a walking path that made taking the dogs out a great experience. There were a lot of families and really nice people along the walk. Breakfast at Penny's diner (vouchers provided to people who stay at the hotel) was very good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family