“The worst Weekend in my life!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oak Tree Inn Cheyenne

Oak Tree Inn Cheyenne
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Cheyenne
Oregon City, Oregon
“The worst Weekend in my life!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My Step-Son age 16 was traveling with his mother and was put in a situation that caused him to be left alone and stranded in Cheyenne Wyoming at 10:30pm. His father (has legal custody) and I located in Oregon had no way of getting this boy home. While on the phone with our son we were able to get him in a cab and heading to the airport. He found that the local airport was closed and did not open till the next day at 7am. The cab driver took him to the closest hotel and left him. He was told at this hotel that there were no rooms available.
He then walked to the next Hotel (Oak Tree Inn) and was told that he could not get a room. I spoke to the individual that was working at the hotel that night and they stated that they would not take a credit card over the phone and the only way that they would help us is if we faxed a copy of our credit card and photo ID to prove that we owned the card and whatever else.
I explained that we did not have a fax machine (not sure how many average families have a fax machine in their homes but I know that we do not and not sure if we would find use in something like that these days) I proceeded to ask if we could email a scanned copy of these thing to them. He explained that he did not have access to the company email and that would not work. I explained that my son was only 16 and we were in Oregon and had no way of getting him and he needed a place to stay that would be safe until he could get to the airport the next morning. I did not want him to continue to walk around on the streets in the late hours of the day. This man proceeded to tell me that he would not help us and that even the police could not help us.
Our son sat in a booth at the 24 hour diner that was attached to this hotel all night until 6am the next morning. He then called a shuttle to pick him up and take him to the airport. During the time he was at this diner he says many scary people (hookers and sketchy looking people) coming in and out. So this place was most certainly not a place for a child to be and even more so not by himself.
This was the worst experience in our lives and hope that no one ever has to be left alone in the town of Cheyenne Wyoming. If you are traveling near this town Please do not stop!!! I can only hope that this town does not treat their locals this way.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kimmlie H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

There was nothing really special about the hotel. The room was very plain. It seemed pretty clean, but our dogs were very busy sniffing. We figured that the very cool temp of the room was to help mask smells. This was the only room in a 6000 mile road trip that our dogs behaved this way. I can't imagine that they were the first animals to stay in any of the other rooms along our route. That being said, this hotel is right next to a walking path that made taking the dogs out a great experience. There were a lot of families and really nice people along the walk. Breakfast at Penny's diner (vouchers provided to people who stay at the hotel) was very good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris Z
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

The oak tree inn is not 4 star but the rooms are excellent would appear to be recently renolvated. Service and amenities are very good as well. Penny diner provides great breakfast, this is attached to hotel. Very pleased with our stay. Had a great night sleep, windows are double glazed.

Room Tip: We did not have dinner at diner but we think that we should have.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
White Haven, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I like this place a lot. Nothing really stands out but the people, who are very friendly and make sure you are taken care of. Convenient location, walking distance to lots of stores and restaurants. Stayed in two different rooms on consecutive nights. Had my cat with me, manager never questioned it, and zero signs of other pets having been in the room. Both were clean, comfortable beds, cable, fairly reliable wifi, not the Ritz but I felt welcome, and the diner is great. Excellent food, friendly service and for us was FREE breakfast both days with vouchers they gave us at check-in. Why are people complaining about the Oak Tree? Lighten up or go pay a lot more.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank taviii
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

stopped for one night on our way to rapid city wanted quiete night and got it as it is set back from highway. was clean and tidy and suited our overnight stay.Breafast was in the ajoining Penny's Dinner with a voucher (very good it was to), The penny's Dinner also acted as Hotel Reception.
Had no complaints with this hotel would stay again and recomend

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johngwyn_10
reno
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

I was on a speed run cross country to make 1000+ mile days on the infamous I-80. There were a couple negative reviews but figured I would chance it anyway. After the end of a very long day I was dragged to the Oak Tree Inn by the mistress GPS. GPS did not help me find the lobby. After walking into the motel lounge and back out, I noticed a sign to "check in at the diner", which was across the driveway. Since I had made a reservation online I didn't even have to show my credit card. Nice quick check in! Finding the stairs up to the second floor was a bit of a challenge especially at the late hour and after a long drive. At the room there was no chocolate on the pillow nor was there special shampoo or other extras... Just a clean neat comfortable room that fit my purpose well. I was just there to catch a few zzzz's, shower and get back on the road. Bed was comfortable. Don't know about the TV since I didn't turn it on. Shower worked as expected without any "surprises". Also got a free breakfast in the diner next door. Budget priced nice clean place. I would stay there again should I be making a no frills quick run by there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank gwwing
Wokingham, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

We stayed June 2011. Reason we picked it was that it was not in downtown area backing onto railway lines.

Also, just across road from Mall with dining places in abundance.

Room was comfortable, did not experience any odd noises, and whewn we discovered hair dryer was not working, Manager had it replaced immediately.

Actually loved the Diner for breakfast, as it was just like those I visited in 60's

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple