“Such a gracious place...”

Little America Hotel & Resort
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Cheyenne
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had remodeling in ou condo and stayed at this fabulous resort one night. What a great,lace,excellent mattress and pillows to sink your head into and off to sleep.
Clean,clean clean and their fabulous furnishings are way put there nice! Plenty of room space,large,large TVA in rooms,their open space is so elegant,you just want to walk all over it as every detail is so wonderful!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed at this place on our way to Deadwood, SD, and I loved it so much, we cancelled our previous reservations at another place for our way back home and reserved a room again here. The room is so clean, comfy and pretty. The grounds are gorgeous, and I loved the little bunnies running around. Sorry, that was new to me, as we don't have cute little yard bunnies running around here in California. The restaurant was so pretty, and the food was very good and very, very affordable. I loved the little coffee shop with 50 cent cones. I just loved everything about this place. If we had one these places here in the Bay Area, I would be making reservations several times a year for a quick weekend getaway. I hope to go back someday soon. I have told anyone that I know who is traveling in the Cheyenne area to make a point to reserve a room there. I sure do miss.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I stayed at the Little America Hotel and Resort in Cheyenne WY on a recent business trip. The public areas and restaurant were nice (kind of old west). I was traveling with 2 coworkers. All of our rooms were very nice (big, clean, comfortable beds, updated bathrooms, flat screen tvs, large sitting areas with couch, chairs, desk). The furniture (other than bed) looked to be a little worn, but it looked like there was an attempt to create an old west/period style with the furniture.

Some things that at first made me think that "resort" was overstating the luxury of this hotel:

**The guest rooms were spread out in multiple buildings separate from main building (registration, business center, restaurant, gift shop). Buildings had two floors, second floor accessible only by stairs. So to get back to main building/restaurant you had to either drive or walk (on day 2 of our stay it was thunderstormiing and hailing, on day 3 it snowed, so outside access to main building was not ideal). If you really hate that kind of thing - I would request a room as close as possible to main building (and 1 or 2 guest buildings appeared to be attached).

**Rooms on the first floor had doors that opened directly into parking lot (very low-end feeling, although in hind site the hotel catered to golfers and probably hunters and gas/oil crews so if you had big items to carry it would probably be easier to just exit car and walk directly into your hotel door). If you prefer (for safety or noise or whatever) to be in a room with a door that is accessed from an inside hallway, I would request that when you make reservation.

** The registration desk did not offer us assistance with our luggage, nor did they appear to have a bell hop to do so. We didn't ask for assistance because we didn't realize until we go to our building that there were no elevators (and we were on 2nd floor). Between three of us we had about 10 pieces of heavy luggage (personal luggage plus materials for meeting we were attending which we needed to carry to our rooms/collate). As we were walking up the stairs to our rooms, dragging heavy luggage one piece at a time, a hotel staff person was coming out of the second floor access door, said "need some help?", and then upon us saying yes he held the door open for us while we continued running up/down steps to bring our luggage from the car. It was a weird interaction (as he offered help but didn't actually give it, and even watched us run up/down steps multiple times). Strange in a state where you would think there would be some cowboy code of conduct that requires men to help women carry luggage up stairs.

** The restaurant appears very upscale and chic (in an old west kind of way). The first night we had dinner there. Two of us ordered steaks (one medium, one medium rare). When steaks came they were burnt black on outside, one was way overdone on inside, and one was practically raw on inside despite the burnt outside. We sent them back, waitress offered to have kitchen make us new steaks (we agreed). Later when bill came we were kind of surprised to see full price steaks on our bill (not that we asked for discount, but in a resort hotel up-scalish restaurant it seemed like that would be standard). The next morning, we ate breakfast in the restaurant, good/average breakfast food, although part of my order did not come out and when I pointed it out and the waitress finally brought it she said "sorry the chef forgot". Maybe same chef from night before and he was feeling a little sleep deprived? The next day/night we ate breakfast at The Village Inn (Denny's like, as expected) and dinner at Steamboat's Steak & Smokehouse (totally amazing).

My co-worker said something to desk staff about lack of luggage help and restaurant when we checked out.

Some good things about the stay:
**Beds - big, comfy, updated, lots of fluffy pillows
**Bathrooms - big, updated, with mini fridge and microwave
**Business office - all free (printing, internet access, who knows what else, all free). I spent two hours on computer/internet checking email one morning (that would have cost me a fortune at some other hotel business office).
** It was $99 plus tax/night, a great price for the size/quality of room and free business office!

Thinking about my stay, I realized that maybe I was not giving this "resort" the credit its due, after all it must be hard to be a resort hotel in a frontier state - most of your guests are probably engaging in outside stuff (hunting, sporting), big industry (there seemed to be a lot of gas/oil types), and tourists just passing through quickly, so they are probably just coming to the room to sleep and not swim in luxury.

Overall it was a very comfortable stay at a good price.

Room Tip: If you don't like outside access rooms, request a room accessed from inside, and if you have mob...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is the "Resort" "in town". It is a little older. The rooms are okay, not updated, but not old and musty either. There are a lot of rooms that open outside rather than in a nice hallway. The lobby is nice, I like the real fireplace when it was snowing. They have great meeting rooms. It is on the edge of town, nothing within walking distance. Has a restaurant on nice, nicer restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Nothing spectacular and nothing of too much interest. Room was clean and adequate for our one night stay, however. The restaurant had a very nice breakfast. The experience was okay, I just felt that I could have stayed somewhere else with a slightly better room for less cost.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2014

No one was at the desk to check me in at 5:45 p.m. No bell was available, so I waited about three minutes before going to an office door, pulling it open, and asking if someone could check me in. A girl came out. She couldn't find me in their system because they'd changed my name, deciding it was a misspelling. When she found my roommate, the phone began to ring. She took every call, three in all, giving long directions about how to find the hotel to one caller for about four minutes. It took about ten minutes to check in. More staff should have been on duty, obviously, and no one should take calls in the midst of checking in a guest. No apologies were offered.

Once I got to my room, NO pillowcases were on the eight pillows on two beds. The pillows were arranged in the current style, up on edge and diagonal. I called for pillowcases, and the receptionist asked if the rest of my room was okay. I hadn't thought I'd have to check. After receiving the pillowcases, going to supper, and undressing for bed, I found that the toilet paper roll had about 1/2 inch of paper left and NO spare roll was anywhere in the room. I used Kleenex once I ran out since I wanted no one coming to the room when I was in pajamas.

The floor in the bathroom had dirt in its corners. The bathtub had missing caulk, and what was there was stained. Soap had to sit directly on metal soap dishes missing their plastic liners. I know this because this style was common thirty years ago. The mirrors were not clean. The desk surface was not wiped and had soda on it.

The next morning I went to Hathaway's for breakfast. Service was quick and food was good, but no second cup of coffee was offered.

The second day we had to call for more towels because our dirty ones were not replaced. We were told that our maid was being trained. Someone should check the work of trainees. No one did at this hotel.

This stay was for a conference, so we were captive for meals. Staff removed plates before eaters were done eating. This happened repeatedly. The banquet was steak and salmon. My filet was full of gristle and overcooked. For $35 a plate this should never happen.

When I went to check out, I was given the wrong rate for the room. I did mental math while standing at the check-out and figured it out. I was then told the charge had been reversed. I asked for a paper showing the reversal, but was not given one. Later that day as I was returning to my own city, my roommate called and said the reversal of the wrong amount had not been done, and I would need to call the hotel to cause it to be reversed when I got home, or I'd be double-billed. I did so.

The one bright spot in this entire mess was Ashlyn, the person who fixed my double-bill situation. She was very helpful and was the only one in my whole stay who seemed to know what should happen in a nice hotel. She was very apologetic about all the problems.

The bed was good, and the conference center restrooms, though far from the meeting rooms, were very nice. If neither had been the case, I'd have rated this place as terrible instead of poor.

Do NOT stay at Little America, Cheyenne. It used to be a wonderful facility. It no longer is.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Maurice95
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed here for 3 days on business. The rooms were more than adequate. There is a nice restaurant and bar. The restaurant has an awesome breakfast menu. Everything is very clean. The location is very convenient to I-80 and has easy access to downtown Cheyenne.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ellen L
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Ellen L -

Thank you very much for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We are always delighted to hear from our guests as part of our continual effort to improve the experience at The Little America. We are honored to have earned your trust and look forward to welcoming you back.