“Different, in a creepy way................” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Little America Hotel & Resort

Little America Hotel & Resort
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Cheyenne
Rapid City
“Different, in a creepy way................”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Very large property, away from town and the crowds. It looks like a retirement village, church, mortuary, hospital all combined in one. In fact, it would not take much to convert it to any one of those options. Compared to many other hotels in Cheyenne, it is a fantastic place, but it is stuck in a time warp. Very dated rooms gave me a creepy staying at my grandmothers house in the 70's feeling. However, it served its purpose as a place to get some shut eye for a couple of nights.

Pro's:
Competitively priced for the area hotels (way on the high side)
Clean (although they could have used the nozzle around the perimeter of the room where the vacuum does not work)
Nice pool
Quiet
Large rooms

Con's;
Weird compound feel to property
totally outdated rooms and furnishings (newer flat screen TV though)
Bed was not comfortable
AC was loud and ran constantly
Awkward bathroom layout

Would stay here again if nothing else was available, but would pay a little more for a more modern setting at one of the newer big name chains in town.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are nice
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TheGrandAmerica, General Manager at Little America Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Robmicgm,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thorough expression of your experience with us. Our property is unique and we strive to offer positive experiences for all guests and visitors.
I shared your post with my department managers so that we can improve where possible.
Thank you again for your thoughts. We hope you consider us on your next Cheyenne visit.
Scott French

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Concord, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

My family and I just stayed in Cheyenne in August. Great place for the kids. The restaurant is still top notch. Would stay again without hesitation. We really enjoyed out stay. I would recommend this location for any and all travelers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bksifford
hh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed here because the business meeting was here. Big mistake. I tried to check in around 5:00. They said the room was not ready. Not just me but other folks having the same problem. Front desk was totally messed up. While I was waiting for my room a guy came up to the desk really pissed off because they had given someone else keys to his room and they came in while he was sleeping.

When I finally got to my room it was a dump. Looked like someone had bled to death on the carpet. The maid never came my first night. I sent a tough review on the comment card. Figured I would get a note from management. Never received a letter or anything.

I have stayed at other Little Americas and aside from the 1950's decor they are pretty nice.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bob s
Dear Bob,
It’s by learning of guest experiences like yours that alert us to areas of the hotel that need specific attention. Thank you very much for sharing your opinions and offering us direction for improvement. I apologize sincerely for the issues you observed during check-in and for the condition of your room. These weaknesses are being addressed and I shared your comments with all employees involved.
Please consider us again the next time you are in Cheyenne.
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

We were headed south on our Motorcycle from the Stugis Rally SD and we looked for a place in Cheyenne WY, we stopped at the Little America to check price and were surpised at the good price so we took the room, we were even more shocked that the place had a bar & restaurant that was excellent and we have stayed in alot of hotels in our travels and this had a first class room, it was big, clean, smelled good, it was just a great place, we would recommend you stay here, you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Everything was excellent at this place, I can't say enough aboout this place,,
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Michaelkathleen58,
Thank you for writing about your wonderful experience with us!
We look forward to your future visits.
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Just needed a place to sleep for one night. This was just about the least expensive. We didn't realize it was such a large place. King room was large, flat screen TV, large bath with long vanity. Room was clean and quiet. Comfort of the bed was was only fair. All in all, this was a perfectly acceptable place. More space than needed for one night but the price was right this night (AAA rate).

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stopped here for a night on our way back home to Denver from South Dakota. Compared to the La Quinta we had stayed in while in SD, this place was paradise. The room was big. The beds were comfortable. The very big pool was beautiful. There were birds singing and bunnies everywhere.

I had made a reservation here prior to our trip but then cancelled it the week before because we thought our plans were changing. We then changed our minds and resolved ourselves to just finding a room when we arrived in Cheyenne. Although the internet showed that they were fully booked, we drove up there anyway and to our relief, they had rooms available. They reinstated my original reservation but gave us an even better price. The gentleman at the front desk saw that we had children and gave us a room right by the pool which was so nice for us. The kids could be at the pool and we could sit outside our door and keep an eye on them.

The room service is shockingly affordable and really tasty. So much so that we decided to order in for breakfast which my kids liked because I never ever let them do that.

My only complaint would be with messiness. I was going to say cleanliness, but that isn't really what it was. Everything seemed very clean. But when we got to our room after we checked in, there were room service trays from previous guests on the little outside tables in front of at least three of the rooms in our row. And when we were getting ready to leave in the morning and checking under the beds, we found cards and toys and stuff that didn't belong to us. So I would say that their housekeeping is not terribly thorough.

But all that aside, we really enjoyed our night there. It was peaceful and cozy and fun for the kids. If we are ever in Cheyenne again, we will surely stay there.

Room Tip: If you have kids, ask for one of the many rooms that face the pool. If you don't love kid sounds...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ann M
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I love this place. It's a well-preserved time capsule, and yet still a luxury hotel. Other reviews mention that the rooms are not updated the way the public areas are. This is true, and this is good. The public areas are like upscale Las Vegas, while the rooms retain their "Mad Men"-era splendor without being dirty or seedy or tattered. And the midcentury motel architecture -- "lodges" around a beautiful pool with a deep deep end -- obviously can't be changed. I could understand complaining about dated rooms if this is your one and only chance to stay at a nice hotel, but otherwise ... stop being a big baby and savor this while you still can. You can always find up-to-date generic accommodations next time.

Room Tip: First-floor rooms have "authentic" chairs-on-the-stoop charm but less privacy. Second floo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple