“Good Value for Money” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Cheyenne
Adelaide, South Australia
“Good Value for Money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

When I read the reviews of this motel, I had to check the address on our statement to make sure this was the right place!

If I had read the previous reviews, we would never have stayed here. However, we thought it was one of the best value for money places we stayed in during our 3 week touring in the USA.
Maybe they've done some upgrades since the previous reviews were written . . .

Cheyenne is not the easiest place to find a reasonable motel. We arrived from the south and all the motels on that side of the city are near the rail yards. We checked 3-4 properties on the south side: they varied from low average to just about uninhabitable. The proprietor of the best one pretty much warned us about the all night noise from the railway marshalling yards - it took him 3 years to get used to the noise. He suggested trying motels on the north side, away from the rail yards.

We did this, but by then, were weary and just wanted to find somewhere suitable: maybe we were a little less discerning than we might otherwise have been. As luck would have it, two women were checking in ahead of us and quoted a price advertised on a billboard they saw coming into town ($49); overhearing this, we used the same ploy and got the same rate (+$4 because our daughter was with us).

Check-in was VERY slow, which tallies with at least one of the previous reviews and the counter staff were, shall we say, "lacklustre". Maybe the owners just get what they pay for.

Two drawbacks: an upstairs room with stairs that would be quite difficult for older or less fit people to negotiate, particularly with luggage and they could only offer 2 x doubles when we preferred 2 x Queen size beds. Also, the local Air Force base is just across the road, so while aircraft noise might be a problem - it wasn't for us.

Other than that, the room was clean, tidy and well maintained and everything worked. The buffet continental breakfast was well above average and the breakfast area was clean and bright - in fact, pretty good all round.

Free internet access in the lobby area, but of course, little privacy.
The on-site restaurant looked a little dreary, but we ate out anyway.

OK - it's not the Hilton, but at $49, what do you expect? Compared with some of the sleazy dumps on the south side, this was almost palatial.

• Liked — Clean and good value for money
  • Disliked — Difficult stairs with luggage; no rooms with 2 x Queen size beds.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Absarokee, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2007

It's been a couple years since I stayed at the Quality Inn in Cheyenne, but it was such a horrible experience that I've got to warn everyone: don't stay here, don't even think of staying here!

My first impressions upon seeing this place... blecch! Old, run-down, immediately filling me with regret for ever reserving a room there. But it couldn't be THAT bad, could it?

Things started off badly enough trying to check in, which took far too long, 20+ minutes even though we were the only ones checking in. After all that hassle, I'm looking forward to just kicking back and relaxing in my room. Unfortunately, upon reaching my room, it's way too small for what we paid, dirty, smelly, and just generally ugly, with the kind of bathroom where you end up dirtier AFTER a shower than you were to begin with. Basically, I've stayed at plenty of budget hotels with nicer rooms than this overpriced hellhole. But... it couldn't have been ALL bad, could it?

I've been trying to find a single nice thing to say about this place. Well, it did have a pool... but that was closed down and, by the looks of things, is something you'd want to avoid at all costs if it weren't. Possibly disease-ridden, and I'm not exaggerating. So, um... oh, there is a Chinese restaurant on-site, which did deliver to the room... but chow mein shouldn't have the approximate consistency of snot. Some of the worst food I've ever eaten. Also possibly disease-ridden. Needless to say, I quickly lost my appetite...

I'm not exaggerating, this place is absolutely abysmal. Avoid at all costs! There's so many other places to stay in Cheyenne, and I imagine virtually all of them would have to be far superior to this horrendous excuse for a hotel...

• Liked — Um... the TV worked just fine, I guess...
  • Disliked — Everything else, pretty much absolutely everything about this place!
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Cheyenne hotels

Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2007

Quality Inn took their name off this dump for a good reason. It is now called Capital Inn. The entire property is so decayed that they just need to bring in a bulldozer and knock it down. Even the cement curbs are crumbling. It took the clerk 30 minutes to get me checked in even though there was no one else in line and I had made a reservation. The room smelled, the floor and furniture were stained and worn out, the bathroom tub, floor and walls were covered in hair, and the pool was closed for the next three days. They were supposed to take $20 off the room because the of the pool closure but only took off $10. We had reserved the room for two nights and had to spend the first night there since everything else was booked. Judging from what I witnessed returning to my room from the ice machine very late, I'm guessing they rent some of their rooms by the hour. Nasty. To feel safe overnight since the room doors are all on the outside, we jammed a screwdriver out of our trunk under the door to wedge it closed since the deadbolt and safety chain were broken. The room was not clean and we felt compelled to keep our shoes on whenever we walked on the floor. The only clean surface seemed to be the sheets -- thank heaven. There was a new fridge and microwave in the room but like they say, "You can put all the lipstick you want on a pig, but it's still a pig."
When we checked out in the morning, I explained why we were leaving a day early and got no response other than "sign here" on my credit card receipt.
Take my advice and drive on by this one. No savings is worth this hell hole.

• Liked — The price -- at least until I saw (and smelled) the room
  • Disliked — The total decay of every aspect of the property -- down to the sidewalks
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Softball_Mom67
Ogden, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2005

This is second time we stayed here, cheaper than motel 6 so a overnight stay is not too bad. room needs new carpets,wall paper etc. Because of upcoming frontier days rodeo, room clerks were rushed and buzy, all in all for the price it's not bad. Only complaint we had was the power surges dimming some of the lamps in the room, but according to local tv new's this was a city wide problem because of extreme hot weather.

• Stayed July 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ZAZULibertyUtah
lacey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2004

This establishment was so gross we checked in and out within 15 minutes!!!! YUK!!!!!!
The person behind the counter felt really awful...
But we could not stay there.... The non-smoking room was a smoking room, the facility could use some major over haul....

• Stayed July 2004
1 Thank familyisfun
washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2003

I stayed at Quality Inns on 6-13-02 paid on with my credit card. On 02/13/03 someone employed at Quality Inns used my credit card for another charge. GO PAST CHEYENNE AND NEVER STAY AT A QUALITY INNS as they have thieves working for them or is it common policy to do this. How many other times have they done this??? Beware

4 Thank relaxing
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2003

We made a reservation on the Quality Inn because of past experiences with the brand and the proximity to the reason we travelled to Cheyenne. We checked in the night of the 6th to a front desk clerk that was not only rude but didn't check us in all the way through before she was helping other people that had just walked in. The next day we left the hotel at 7:00 am and didn't come back until 8:30 pm just to find out that our room hadn't been cleaned. I called the front desk to ask what was going on and in a very rude manner the front desk person told me that there was nothing she can do, that she could only leave a note for the General Manager (Barb Moore) and that I had to come down if I needed any towels. I went down to the front desk and as I was waiting I noticed the lady in front of me complaining about the fact that the room the front desk assigned to her a couple of minutes before hadn't been cleaned either. By this time the front desk clerk was once again very rude and would not respond to me. After telling me that the General Manager wasn't available, she proceeded to called her and asked her to come over because I was asking her who the management company and owner was. The manager told me that they were short on Housekeeping staff and that they had a full house. She also justified the problem by saying that she was new. She offered to take $10 off our rate and that was she couldn;t do anythging else. When I asked her who the management company and owner was, she told me that she didn't know because she was new. I went back to the room to try to make the bed and take out the trash from dinner when I realized there was a big brown stain on the back of the pillowcase with a couple of short black hairs scattered on it. It seemed as if they had just turn the pillow around. When I talked to the General Manager once again, he (the other general manager, his name was Steve) said that he would reduce $30 dollars but never offered to change the sheets or do anything else. The next morning when wes to check us out because they couldn't figure out how to do the discount on the system. Steve had to called Barb Moore, apparently his wife, and after a screaming match over the phone he couldn;t do anything and ended up making a note to our bill saying that we were only going to be charged $142 instead of $172. We paid roughly $85 a night for terrible service and facilities that were dirty and in poor shape. We were not the only people complaining when we checked out. There are other hotels in town with a better flag, better service and facilities and most of all more competitive rates. Don't bother staying in this hotel.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member