For the record I take personal responsibility for not coming up and looking at the Hotel and room before booking it and not contacting management immediately upon arrival. The online photos make the Wolf’s Den look like a rustic cabin in the woods. I have stayed in some rundown hotel rooms but none as dirty and unsafe as this one.
1. There were cobwebs in many ceiling corners of the rooms, most noticeably in the entry to the kitchen and behind the heater.
2. There was years of built up dirt and debris around the baseboards, most noticeably next to the bed in the bed room.
3. The window sills were filthy, in the bed room there was part of a corn chip left from before we arrived.
4. DirecTV remote looked like it has never been cleaned.
5. Filth between the stove and the walls and the cabinets.
1. The smoke detector that I assume is supposed to be attached to the ceiling where the screws are sticking out of the ceiling by the Kitchen is sitting on top of the DirecTV box, I pushed the test button and nothing happened. I opened the cover to discover that the battery was disconnected. I reconnected it and within a few minutes it started beeping once every few seconds (indicating a low battery) so we disconnected it and left it as it was.
2. The mini-blind in the bedroom has no pull string and will not go down all the way. NO PRIVACY!
3. The shower hot and cold water valves are on the wrong sides. The cap for the hot is missing and without my glasses on I cannot see enough detail to notice that the cold was on the left. So I ran the water for minutes waiting for it to get hot.
4. There was not even a box of tissues in the bathroom and only 4 towels and 4 wash clothes, NO HAND TOWELS to dry hands on.
5. The lamp by the couch is missing the lower bulb, shock hazard for an unsuspecting family with a small child.
6. There are misc screws sticking out from the walls in many locations with no apparent purpose.
7. The Room provides a kitchen but there is nothing to clean the provided dishes, no soap, no wash cloth, no drying rack, and no hand towels. Only a 1/8 role of paper towels.
8. The bed in the bedroom slopes down toward the head of the bed. Very uncomfortable.
9. Every room has a step down into it, un-safe!
10. There is Romex type wiring exposed in the closet and above the beds in the main room, NOT LEGAL in any State I have ever lived and dangerous.
11. In every hotel I have ever stayed in, in every state I have stayed, there is a hotel guest rights / rules notice on the door or next to it. None existed.
12. The check-in and out policy is shameful at best, I sure did not feel welcome wandering around the hotel looking for my room.
13. Peeling wallpaper in the closet.
The best laugh we had this entire trip was Tuesday night when a group of guys went into the room next to ours and said “man, what kind of [--] hole you found for us” If young skiers think this than it must have been worse than ours and that I would not have liked to see!
There is a huge difference between rustic and filthy!
So why did I not say anything up front? Good question? I am kicking myself for not, BUT I felt trapped. The reservation policy is such that if I did not stay in the room I would have been charged anyway and it is not like Management had any other rooms to put us in. There is no way Management could have fixed or cleaned the room better in the time before we would have wanted to go to sleep.
I do not want anything from the Hotel, other than for them to cleanup their act. I can tell you that I will tell EVERYONE I know never to stay at this hotel and I will describe in detail everything that was wrong.
It is not the fault of the cleaning staff or the maintenance staff, it is 100% the fault of the MANAGEMENT / OWNER for not making sure that the rooms are maintained properly and kept clean.
There is a coffee shop in the hotel but it was only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We were there Tuesday - Thursday.
Free WiFi... about 200K download no where near 1.5M typical DSL... BUT way better then dial-up.
They allow pets (as we discovered at 2 AM from the room next door) but there is a mandatory cleaning fee ("cleaning fee" that is an oxymoron at this hotel).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- WELCOME HOME TO THE HISTORIC MOUNTAIN VIEW HOTEL Built in 1907,lovingly restored in 2000. Purchased by current owners Kat & Mike in Jan.2014 This Historic Hotel offers you warmth,quiet and a relaxing stay perfect for friends and families.Rooms and Suites, fireplaces, and friendly faces make the Mountain View your premier lodging in the Snowy Range Mountain Region of Medicine Bow National Forest. No matter what season you enjoy or type of recreational activity you indulge in...You can find it in the Snowy Range Mountains in Centennial, WY.Make your next stay the Mountain View. Welcome Home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Hotels.com so you can book your Mountain View Historic Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.