“Excellent property”

Mountain View Historic Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Centennial
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I once again had the pleasure of staying at the Mountain View Hotel last weekend.

I seem to make it there about once per year (I have friends from childhood that now live on a ranch in the Centennial valley) and have always had a nice stay. Unlike some other older hotels that oversell their charm (or so how they see it) does really have a home style atmosphere and is tastefully decorated.

I have stayed in several of the rooms to date and have always found them to be clean and well equipped. The staff has always been friendly and my only wish is that they would re-open their restaurant that used to serve breakfast in the downstairs area of the hotel. I understand it is just too much for the owners to handle so I typically go across the street to eat at that restaurant (do not recall name) which is fine.

Centennial is a small town (and I mean small) but with plenty of reasonably priced restaurants and bars (as above). I would not expect much shopping but if you idea is to get away for the weekend to a quiet town still with plenty of food choices this is your town.

I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I found my stay at this hotel to be great. It has all the character of a historic hotel, but with recent updates to suit modern conveniences. My host, Ev, was great and very accommodating. The hotel has various types of rooms to suit guests' needs. Each room has a great view of the mountains and valley. The common rooms and bedrooms are all decorated in period and western artifacts. I was very comfortable relaxing in the common rooms while not in my room. The wrap around porch is great for watching the sunrise and sunset, and watching the valley change colors throughout the day. This was the third time I have stayed there and have been pleased every time. Although the hotel no longer serves breakfast, there is a great breakfast diner just across the street that opens at 7:00 am. I look forward to visiting again next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank pizzy2
Reviewed March 9, 2013

If you keep in mind you are staying at a old historical hotel, then you will probably like this particular hotel. My husband, myself and our adult daughter stayed two nights in the Mountain Sage room. It wasn't a very large room, but it has recently been redecorated and was in good condition. The two queen beds have memory foam mattresses and nice pillows. The room is upstairs, so if climbing is a issue, beware. There is a full size coffee pot in the room and additional assorted coffees, teas, hot chocolates downstairs in the lobby along with minature homemade muffins. Check-in is a little unusual, but it works. Our reservation was posted along with a welcome note on a board at the hotel entrance. It told us where to find our room. After climbing the stairs and locating our room, we entered and found our two room keys, credit card receipt along with general information on the night stand. We were the only guests in the hotel for the night and never saw anyone. They do have a phone number if you need to reach someone. Curiosity got the best of me so I checked another room to see if it was unlocked and it was so I took the liberty to view all the rooms in the main building. Each room is different and vary in size. Reminds me of a bed and breakfast. There was a very informative book in the lobby that had the history of Centennial including the Mountain View Hotel. I found it interesting! The next morning we met the caregiver and she was very nice and answered some questions I had. However, after the morning visit, she disappeared. Our second night was different because there were several other guests staying. My daughter & I played Farkle in the hotel's main sitting room and another family joined us. Other than hearing new guests coming in and going to their rooms, I did not hear them once they settled in for the night. Overall our stay was pleasant. The town of Centennial is VERY SMALL. While there, we saw a large herd of deer and 3 female elk . We called Snowy Range Tours and rented 3 snowmobiles for half day. It was our first time to snowmobile and we LOVED IT! They were a very nice and helpful company. We ate dinner at the Bear Tree Cafe for dinner (only place in town open on a Wed) and it was pretty good. The next morning we drove to Laramie and ate breakfast at The Prairie Rose (rated good through Tripadvisor) and it was Wonderful! For dinner on our second night, we ate at the Old Coral Steakhouse in Centennial and it was delicious although a little pricey. My husband loved his steak. Because we liked The Prairie Rose in Laramie so much, we ate there again our last morning on our way home. Centennial is really a neat area surrounded by mountains. It is a place I would like to visit again. I wouldn't mind staying at the Mountain View Hotel again, but I would also consider other options too. We visited the Snowy Range Lodge when we went snowmobiling and it looks interesting too!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank OklahomaMtnLady
DTB1, Owner at Mountain View Historic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

hello we are the new owners. And we would love to have you stop by the next trip, as we have made some changes. We live in the building and will be here on site fro any needs that arise. Please consider us again, or at least stop in to observe the changes made. This hotel was remodeled by Eva and she did a great job, without her vision we would not have had a palette to begin our work
Kat and Mike

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I really hate to be leaving this review as Judy (the lady who was managing the hotel for Ev while she was down south) was fabulous!! If we ever needed anything she was a phone call away and very helpful!!! This hotel is in disrepair. We stayed in the Wildflower suite. When we stayed the suite was very worn, light bulbs were burnt out, the suite was cold due to the fireplace was not working properly, the beds are old and uncomfortable, water heater is horrible, the fridge and microwave area needed a good cleaning. I tested the fire alarm to make sure it worked properly. At least the bathroom was clean and the floors had been vacuumed so that was a big plus. It is sad because all this place needs is a coat of paint, new carpet, and some new furniture, with those simple changes it could be very cozy. Also the windows leaked horribly!!! They remodeled a couple of rooms recently and I was able to see one of the new rooms and it was BEAUTIFUL (new carpet, paint, the bathroom was gorgeous)!!! If we had only booked one of those rooms!!! I saw that remodeled room and thought if they could remodel the rest of the rooms that way plus the hallway and lobby area I would return to this hotel quite frequently as the location is great! My folks were staying in another not recently remodeled room and my dad said he never wanted to stay here again due to the leaky door/windows and the hot water fluctuated from scalding hot to cold or no hot water at all!! That takes a lot for my dad to say he never wants to stay somewhere again!!! I know this building is old, but please this place has a lot of potential!!! Make this place clean, warm, comfortable, and functional again!!! I see with the new Indian paintbrush room that you guys are on the right track!!! Keep it up!! Replace the windows and horrible water heater too!!! I know you can do it! Thank you Judy for everything you did to make our stay comfortable! You are a diamond in the rough!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank catballou22
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a cute, quaint hotel. Was very quiet, and well maintained. It is not fancy, but is a great location and very well priced. We stayed on a week day during early November and due to the low season were the only guests at the hotel. Hotel management is making renovations to the property - new carpets, etc which will look wonderful when completed. I would certainly stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cassady25
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I found this hotel short notice through tripadvisor on my way from Grand Teton to Rochy Mountain National Park. It's lovely situated in the Medicine Bow Mountains in the small town Centennial. When I arrived, I found my name on the cork-board with the name of my room, which was awaiting me.
The room was nice, clean and with a personal touch that made me feel at home instantly. The room was equipped with a quuen bed, TV, refrigarator, Microwave and coffee maker. In the refig. a plate was waiting for me with some treats for breakfast the next morning and on the desk was a welcome notice and my bill.
The next morning the host welcomed and showed me off in person.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Meike V
Reviewed August 11, 2012

If you don't care about fancy hotel ammenities and you are looking for some place QUIET, then this is the place for you!! There are only a few rooms, so on our visit, we did not have to suffer with other guests' inconsiderate slamming of bedroom doors that one often experiences in hotels. But with that said, there is a church next door whose Ringing of Bells went off at 1:30 a.m.!!!! Apparently, something went wrong in their bell ringing schedule. So for 10 minutes, I had to listen to their bells play old christian hymns--not that I don't like the old hymns, but not at 1:30 in the morning!! And the thing was, I had no idea it was going to stop, so I was very upset about this. Thanks though to Eva (the owner) who--when I complained to her the next morning--immediately called the church pastor.

Now about our room...we stayed in the Wildflower Suite. The bathroom was CLEAN, albeit small and no place really to put our stuff unless we wanted to use the etegere and risk things falling through the bars. In general, the entire place was clean. By the way, in addition to the 3 queen beds, there is a modular couch that could easily sleep 2 more people if you were so inclinded to use the couch that way. The bedroom has a chest of drawers for storage; the smaller bedroom has a very small closet for storage.

In addition, the owner, Eva, is a great lady--I really enjoyed my brief chats with her. She cares about her hotel and her guests and it shows.

For food, one must cross the street to eat at The Friendly Cafe because Eva no longer has food service at her hotel.

Finally, this is not a beautiful hotel, it is an old hotel. Our room was not at all pretty, nothing to please the eyes. The downstairs, however, is very quant, and perhaps the other rooms are as well.

My sister, with whom I was traveling, said that she would return to this hotel because she liked the quiet so much. If I came back to the area, I would stay at The Old Corral because it is new (just 20 years old) and I like new better than old.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carole L

Been to Mountain View Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!