“Informative”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Informative”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

It was a cold night but the living history was really fun! The staff was great and very accomadating! It was a unique step back in time!

Visited December 2011

Casper
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 255 helpful votes
“learn about Caspar / Casper”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Casper Wyoming has a lot of history with indians and pioneers, and Fort Caspar museum delivers. Its less than $5pp. once you go thru the museum and learn about our town's rich history with oil etc. you're welcome (during spring and summer) to go see the actual Fort that housed military in the beginning of our town.

La Grande, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“great reproduction”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

well done museum - wide variety of information and time periods - excellent selection of historical books from which to choose at the gift shop.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank MelJoWalk
Hickory, North Carolina
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Part of our Nation's History!”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

All my life I've heard of the Oregon trail. Fort Casper was on this trail by the North Platte River where pioneers crossed over going to the West Coast. This fort and museum are small but well done and worth your time if you like US history. Don't forget to ask where the actual Oregon trail is out behind the fort. We did and I was told later you could still see the ruts of the old trail.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank KandTtravels
Agoura Hills, California
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Best Of Them All”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I was extremely impressed with the restoration of this fort – undoubtedly the best of this trip, during which I visited eight. Each of the buildings is furnished as it would have been in 1865, and even a short section of the Platte River Bridge – which originally extended a thousand feet over the river – has been reconstructed.

After a lengthy talk with the park ranger, I walked out onto the bridge, then made a thorough and leisurely exploration of the various restored buildings. This was the only fort visited during the entire journey which featured reconstructions of a sutler's store, officers' quarters, stables, blacksmith shop, commissary, mess hall, barracks, and telegraph office – all of which I explored with a great deal of interest. I felt that the visit here was well worth the $3 entrance fee.

Upon finishing my most interesting visit, at the Visitor Center I bought postcards (the nicest and least expensive ones seen duting this entire journey) and was even able to purchase postcard stamps here without having to visit a post office.

The park ranger was most helpful, later taking me outside and pointing to the spot some distance away where Lieutenant Collins and his command were ambushed, as well as giving me directions to the spot where Sergeant Custard 's supply train was wiped out at Red Buttes.

Visited August 2011