“Underwhelmed and disappointed”

La Cocina
Ranked #15 of 183 Restaurants in Casper
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We have eaten several times at the old location and had a decent dining experience. The new location is bigger with more parking. However, although the service was good, the food was overall disappointing. The chips were served warm, but they were thick and tough as if they had been setting under a heat lamp for some time. When asked, the waiter said they were prepared in large batches and may have been overcooked. No recourse was offered, not even another basket. We do like the warm refried bean dip. The margaritas on the rocks were served with crushed ice and tasted like a mix; a little sweet and syrupy with no fresh lime flavor at all. For entrees, we ordered the carne asada and chicken fajitas. The carne asada meat was plentiful, tender and quite spicy. I generally like spicy, but these spices were strong which detracted from the flavor of the meat. It was served with tortillas and mild shredded cheese; no other accompaniments. The chicken fajita meat was sparse and dry, as if chopped off of a previously prepared chicken breast. It was served on a plate, not a sizzling cast iron skillet, contained more vegetables than meat, and only a small dollop or sour cream and guacamole. Maybe this was an off night, but everything we ordered had its problems.

1  Thank mlbraley

Reviewed January 31, 2013

All you really need to get is the chips, salsa & beans. I ALWAYS eat too much & then cannot finish my delicious meal. LOVE the owners, LOVE the new location & the food is just perfect.

1  Thank KristyDawn
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Yes, I meant it is better than Taco Bell, but only because Taco Bell doesn't sell beer; even non-Mexican beer. No Mexican beer on tap, cold salsa, cold chips, cold bean dip and cold water and no soap in the restrooms turned me away from this place without even waiting for my food. Sad experience for me in Casper today.
Now, to be honest, my server would not look me in the eye, and I got creepy from the start, so I guess I am biased .... but .... I had the money, he was "offering" service, and if I got creepy, then so be it!!!
I guess I can't honestly say La Cocina is better than Taco Bell, because I didn't bother to eat anywhere in Casper after this poor experience. Cheyenne was 125 miles down the road, so I just waited.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Servers are always fun. The new locaiton is cleaner and a little jazzed up from the old location. Meals are always wonderful and I love their salsa and in house made chips.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

90% of the time I eat mexican, I get a fajita burrito. The burrito here was above average. The decor is nothing fancy but clean and casual which suits my taste. The waiter apologized for the wait in getting our food and offered us free drinks. It wasn't even that slow and we recieved our food in a very acceptable time frame.

Been to La Cocina? Share your experiences!