“Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid!”

National 9 Inn Casper Showboat Motel
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Casper
Casper, WY
“Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid!”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

After having no luck finding another place to stay, I reserved a room at the Showboat. I'd driven by several time and was concerned that the interior was as rundown as the exterior. My night's stay confirmed my concerns. The lobby area was an unwelcoming combination of hot, foul smelling air and badly worn carpet and furniture. The room I was given (119) wasn't any better. A stench reminiscent of a blend of mold, dirt (as in soil) and body odor filled the dank room, which had a non-functioning microwave and air conditioner. I asked for another room and was given one on the second floor (215). It also had a peculiar smell but had a working air conditioner, microwave and refrigerator. Neither of the rooms were very clean, both having smears and stains on the furniture and carpet, as well in the bathrooms. In addition, the noise level was quite high and room walls failed to screen out sounds (including sneezing and expelling gas) from adjacent lodgings. Several people wandered up and down the second floor hall smoking cigarettes and arguing with each other. At 1:30 AM, I was awoken by a commotion in the hall. When I looked out the door peephole, I was treated to the sight of a man strolling down the hall with his underwear (tighty whities) slung below his buttocks smoking a cigarette and being yelled at by his female companion. After the commotion, I decided to get a drink of water before going back to bed, only to make a revolting discovery. I pulled apart two wrapped plastic cups and watched small dead insects fall from where they had been wedged between them. After that, seeing food from the "continental breakfast" (containers of cereal on a folding card table in the lobby) strewn in the second floor hallway and all over the staircase was an anti-climax. The Showboat Motel, without a doubt, has some of the worst accommodations in which I've ever had the misfortune of staying.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Debra S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The price was reasonable, room clean, staff friendly. Only complaint - the housekeeping staff did not believe in straightening out the bottom sheet of the beds. They just folded over the top sheets and that was it. Other than that, the stay was not bad.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pueblo
Reviewed June 1, 2012

WE came thru heading to Utah. We were very tired and saw 47.95. Not bad but makes you wonder why so low. Well upon entering the lobby looked clean. Diandra checked us in she didnt offer that 47.95 rate to start out with but she explained to us that thats their corp rate/AAA rate for one bed. My mother is losing her hearing and she is somewhat demanding and we ended up getting 2 beds for the 47.95. But Diandra was very polite spoke directly to my mother and loud enough so she could here. Usually it takes forever to get anything done with my mother but this didnt take long. We stayed in room 118. It was clean and quite. Breakfast was nice. The elderly lady in the morning was very sweet. Overall this small hotel was very pleasant and when we head back home we will be choosing this destination again.

Room Tip: Non smoking rooms are always better
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I have lived in Casper for several years. I have used the Showboat twice when I have gone through some tough times of unemployment. The most recent started in March, 2012 and I am still there. I have had several good experiences here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gordon R
Reviewed April 30, 2012

In fairness, the room was fine. The fridge was big enough, the bed was not uncomfortable, the window could be opened and had a screen, the room was clean (when we got there, at least).

My fiance works nights, so the first night we were there, we explained the situation to the front desk clerk who seemed very reluctant to offer to have it cleaned in the evening time, giving a biiiig sigh and saying, "We CAN do them at night... we've already got four to do..." I mean, she sounded VERY depressed about it. So we came to the agreement that I would put our trash outside the door on weekdays and we'd get up and about on the weekends so that housekeeping could come in and do a full service.

On the first weekend, everything went just fine except that they didn't give us enough towels. The second weekend, the housekeeper who did our room decided for some reason she should unplug our fridge and leave it that way. We didn't notice until several hours later when we got back in and were getting ready to have a little something to eat before bed. The ice melting off the freezer ruined some left-over Chinese food we had in there, but other than that it was no big deal, because we didn't have anything in there that could actually spoil.

Then there was this weekend. On Sunday we spent hours out running errands and driving around just entertaining ourselves. I dropped my fiance off at the archery range for a bit and decided to head back to the hotel and get our laundry put away, and when I got there, not a single thing had been done to our room - not even trash and towels. I would have liked to speak with someone privately, but the desk workers and some of the housekeepers at this motel are almost constantly out front together smoking cigarettes and hanging out with random friends/boyfriends/whatever. So on this occasion, two desk workers (one of which was apparently the manager) and a lady that I assume was the head of housekeeping were out on the bench having (another) smoke break. I started very politely, "Sorry to bug y'all, but our room wasn't serviced today, and -" Which is as far as I got before the housekeeper chick piped up and at the top of her voice, just shy of YELLING AT ME, went on a tirade about her job description, what we should have done (all of which were things WE HAD DONE, i.e. informing the front desk of our situation the very first night we were there) and telling me she only did towels and trash on the weekends (I'd have liked to point out that she hadn't even done THAT, but every time I opened my mouth to speak she got a little louder and talked a little faster). The manager and other desk clerk sitting with her literally just SAT THERE and tried not to laugh in my face, enjoying her little show. Being a polite and non-confrontational person, I let her finish her little rant and left. I informed my fiance of the situation.

That night he went down to renew our stay for another week (he's a real sucker for low prices and free breakfast - which I might add were not bad but not all that impressive, either) and was told that he should hang on to his money because they had to fill previous reservations and were hoping we'd just have to switch rooms but that we may have to leave. At that point, I knew they'd decided we'd overstayed our welcome. But they beat around the bush until the next morning, about an hour before check-out, and then informed us that there was no room for us to stay on.

I called their main office in Utah, and the gentleman I spoke to listened to my story and thanked me for letting him know about the problem, with a promise to call down to the front desk and have a talk with the manager. However, nothing was done to compensate us for the dehumanizing treatment I received, and not so much as an apology was offered before we left.

The workers in this motel seem to think that it is more like their home than their place of employment. Despite their fair prices, I do not recommend that you spend your hard earned money, as they do a sub-par job and treat paying customers like dogs.

Room Tip: The AC/heating units in the rooms are dirty and if you're in a smoking room, the units REEK of a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank MarleeMar

Travelers are raving about these Casper hotels

Lehi, Utah
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We drove through on our way to a funeral. It was a nice enough place so that if we ever go past again we will stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2012

It's amazing how a place that looks very old has such a nice atmosphere. Also the rooms are much better from past stays. Although more work should be done to remodel it's looking better. The price is a steal compared to the surrounding hotels and they offer a great breakfast! The staff has changed greatly and are very helpful. The only issue was that the hot water doesn't stay very long. I still had an excellent experience!

• Stayed January 2012