We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buffalo
The Historic Occidental Hotel & Saloon and The Virginian Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed July 16, 2010

The Occidental must rank top among the historic hotels due to its virtually complete set of period furniture and interior. Everything dates from the turn of the century and is in excellent condition. Visiting the Occidental is like being in a time warp. Very comfortable rooms and an amazing bar. The hotel is worth a visit on its own but is conveniently located on the way from Yellowstone to the Blackhills / Mt Rushmore.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 8, 2010

Centrally located. Excellent restaurant. I was greeted by Ridley, who assisted me to check in and hauled my bags to my room in this former bordello. I was there on a Thursday night - the bar had bluegrass musicians for hours (which I could not hear in my room). I drank a glass of wine before (and after) dinner in the rocking chairs on the sidewalk in front of the hotel. My room was very small, the bathroom was across the hall - which I knew when I made the reservation. Very comfortable. Felt safe.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Decorations and furnishings from the 40's or earlier. The bar area has been restored to look like it did in 1920; photos on the wall show it from decades earlier, and it looks the same now.
If you enjoy sitting in a bar drinking and listening to loud, live, country music, then you should stay here on a Thursday night. If not, avoid Thursdays; there will be no place to park and you will be keep awake by the music.
The hotel itself has no parking lot; you have to find a parking place on the street.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2010

My wife and I stayed here with the kids for one night on our way to Yellowstone. We were travelling with three children, 10, 8 and 9 months. I wasn't sure if my wife and kids would be as excited as me (I'm a history buff), but they ended up really enjoying the hotel. We stayed in the Outlaw Room. We spent quite a lot of time walking around the hotel and viewing the antiques. The staff was very friendly and accommodating too.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2010

The Occidental is a fabulous old hotel, fully restored, and as charming a place as you could ever hope to find. It's chock full of character, beautiful antiques and its downtown location allows you to walk most anywhere you want. The bed is comfortable, the room was spacious and the public areas of the hotel are really unique and interesting. My main suggestion is that you walk next door to The Virginian Restaurant and eat one of the most delicious upscale dinners you'll ever have. It's absolutely wonderful: the grilled Caesar salad is great and the baby back ribs fall off the bone. This place is a real treat and not to be missed! One note: every time a new guest walked through the front door, a big smile lit up their face. You'll understand when you open the door too!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2010

My wife and I spent our 27th anniversery at the Occidental. We stayed in the clear creek room. It was very nice and cozy. We took a bath in the old claw footed bath tube and slept on the bed (new mattress) that the orginal owner of 100+ years had used. We had a king cut prime rib dinner at Occidental. My wife and I shared the meal and still need a to go box. Donna the owner took real good care of us and we had one of the most romantic times of our 27 years. If your going through wyoming it is a great place to stay before you head up into the beautiful Big Horn mountains.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Wow wow wow....we walked through the front door and were amazed from the moment we stepped in. This hotel is amazing. The rooms, the decor, the photos, the memorabilia....We had the Clear Creek and General Sheridan Rooms and both were large and comfortable. We loved the old style radios in the room...originals and they still work. The owner was so friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was great and in the morning we were recommended to go to the diner across the road which was also great. We stayed here for 1 night on our 2 week road trip. I'd definitely stay here again if i was passing.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple