“Authentic Historical Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buffalo
The Historic Occidental Hotel & Saloon and The Virginian Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Buffalo
Peoria, Illinois
“Authentic Historical Hotel”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Occidental is worth the trip! Plenty of antiques and lots of atmosphere not to mention comfort.
If you want a trip back in time, this is the place. Even so we enjoyed the A/C and wi fi. We were there on a Sunday night so the Virginian was not open but the picturesque Saloon was able to take the edge off our hunger with Bison burgers and cold beer. Some rooms do not have adjoining baths.

Room Tip: The Theodore Roosevelt Suite has a nice sitting area.
1 Thank BunnyoftheGlen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I just stayed at the Historic Occidental Hotel. We actually were going to stay in Sheridan but after our great experience at a historic hotel in Deadwood SD we decided to give this hotel a try. We were able to get last minute reservations in one of the rooms; Rose. It was very nice but really had no view. The rooms are decorated in Victorian style and are very comfortable. Ours had a king bed with a separate shower and bathroom. The best things about the hotel are all the historic items throughout the building. They actually open the unoccupied rooms and let people check them out (they have a rope across the doorway. Dawn, the owner and all the staff are like friends; very similar to a bed and breakfast. The hotel restaurant and bar were excellent! Thursday evening they have about 20 professional Bluegrass musicians playing in the bar. Incredible! Would highly recommend this hotel for several nights. Waling around the town in the evening was like going back in time to small time to small town living!

Room Tip: any of the rooms facing the creek or in the back/front of the hotel. The Rose room was facing the s...
1 Thank scott92
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We didn't stay here unfortunately. We wanted to though, and had sent two emails - but we had no response. My advice regarding that is to call the hotel directly; I spoke with the owner and she apologised to me saying that they'd had problems with the website.

We did however have dinner here, and it was fabulous! Our server was so very attentive, and our meal was delicious.

After dinner we went to the bar, and listened to the 2-man band (they were very good!), played a couple of games of pool and then retired to the bar to sip on a whisky or two. All in all a very enjoyable night.

I would come back to Wyoming just to visit the Occidental again.
Do NOT miss a chance to visit this hotel!

2 Thank sunset07
New Orleans
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were not staying at Occidental Hotel, but went down to the Saloon for a cocktail after a day of driving. What an amazing place. Had great drinks and assortment of beers. Walked around saloon and hotel lobby, looking at pictures and artifacts. A must do if you find yourself in Buffalo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Like snowflakes, no two rooms in the famous historical hotel are alike. And the place is loaded with history at every table-top and turn. Its like turning back the clock.... from the famous, and almost untouched saloon to the claw-footed tubs the ladies of the evening used in the $ 3 dollar rooms, to the four-poster beds which were slept on by Presidents and bank-robbers. The place is wonderful from top to bottom. You can feel the history of the old west in the creaking floorboards, and the walls are lined with old books, tint-types and artefacts that would be in good company in any museum. If you ask me, they could take the TVs out; I'd prefer to listen to the very special old-time radios (each one different!) they boast in every room... where "Dawn" (the gal who with her husband, saved the place from the wrecking ball) pipes-in music from a gone-by-era! I stayed in the fifty cent rooms along Bordello Row, which in an earlier-time would set you back a whooping 50 cents a night with a shared bath and no boot-blacking! For three bucks, you got the full service; the gal, the bath, the boot-shine and the bed! Prices have gone up over the past hundred years, but still, its great value. "Ladies of the evening" are no longer on the modern-day menu, so bring a friend! Why stay in a synthetic hotel on the interstate when you can stay in an old west state of mind for the same money!

Room Tip: Go to the website before booking, and request Butch Cassidy or Sundance's room! Or one of the pa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AmericaOverEasy
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have traveled 49 of 50 states and stayed in more hotels than I could possibly recall (business and pleasure). The Occidental Hotel in Buffalo, WY is THE BEST HOTEL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE! From the amazing frontier entry, to the historic Saloon, to the incredible Dining room, to the wonderful staff and finally to Dawn Dawson Wexo (co-owner), this hotel is an "experience", not just a stay. We had such a wonderful time, it will remain with me till my dying day and beyond. Dawn is the "perfect" host and her partner is as well. The dining is so good, I would rate it superb in any city. The staff of the Saloon (and I don't drink!) are the friendliest I've ever known. There are musicians on the weekends and "open mike" on Thurs. I'd rate the musicians some of the best I've ever heard and that takes in a lot of territory! Being a former ELCA Pastor/Chaplain, I know good music when I hear it and talent as well. People, put this hotel on your "Bucket List"! It is worth every penny and then some!! And say hello to wonderful Dawn for me too!!

Room Tip: If you can, take the suite at the front of the house (can't remember name). It's not cheap...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We really wanted to stay here but it was sold out. We happened to walk over to check it out and a room had become available. It was way over our price range and we already had a hotel elsewhere paid for. The owner gave us the room at an amazing rate! I think we spent the first two hours taking photos of our room. The history in this hotel is amazing. I felt like we shouldn't actually be staying in the room. It was too incredible to disturb. If you get a chance you need to stay here. Clean, friendly, amazing history, friendly staff!
Also, our bed was SO comfortable!

Room Tip: You can check out the rooms online for the best fit for you...