The Historic Occidental Hotel & Saloon and The Virginian Restaurant
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Buffalo
See available hotels
Very Good 4/5
Z-Bar Motel(Buffalo)
    Rodeway Inn(Buffalo)
    Very Good 4/5
    Quality Inn(Buffalo)
    Great 4.5/5
    All reviewsteddy rooseveltold westbusy beestep back in timethursday nightbutch cassidybuffalo billthe ownerantique furniturehole in the wallliving museumblue grassherbert hooverclear creekfloors creakclaw foot tubsundance kid
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were not staying at Occidental Hotel, but went down to the Saloon for a cocktail after a day of driving. What an amazing place. Had great drinks and assortment of beers. Walked around saloon and hotel lobby, looking at pictures and artifacts. A must do if you find yourself in Buffalo.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
    Reviewed June 25, 2013

Like snowflakes, no two rooms in the famous historical hotel are alike. And the place is loaded with history at every table-top and turn. Its like turning back the clock.... from the famous, and almost untouched saloon to the claw-footed tubs the ladies of the evening used in the $ 3 dollar rooms, to the four-poster beds which were slept on by Presidents and bank-robbers. The place is wonderful from top to bottom. You can feel the history of the old west in the creaking floorboards, and the walls are lined with old books, tint-types and artefacts that would be in good company in any museum. If you ask me, they could take the TVs out; I'd prefer to listen to the very special old-time radios (each one different!) they boast in every room... where "Dawn" (the gal who with her husband, saved the place from the wrecking ball) pipes-in music from a gone-by-era! I stayed in the fifty cent rooms along Bordello Row, which in an earlier-time would set you back a whooping 50 cents a night with a shared bath and no boot-blacking! For three bucks, you got the full service; the gal, the bath, the boot-shine and the bed! Prices have gone up over the past hundred years, but still, its great value. "Ladies of the evening" are no longer on the modern-day menu, so bring a friend! Why stay in a synthetic hotel on the interstate when you can stay in an old west state of mind for the same money!

Room Tip: Go to the website before booking, and request Butch Cassidy or Sundance's room! Or one of the past President's suites... the price is nothing compared to what you get! Hang out on the front street rocking chairs! You'll meet plenty of people!
    • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
    1  Thank AmericaOverEasy
    Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have traveled 49 of 50 states and stayed in more hotels than I could possibly recall (business and pleasure). The Occidental Hotel in Buffalo, WY is THE BEST HOTEL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE! From the amazing frontier entry, to the historic Saloon, to the incredible Dining room, to the wonderful staff and finally to Dawn Dawson Wexo (co-owner), this hotel is an "experience", not just a stay. We had such a wonderful time, it will remain with me till my dying day and beyond. Dawn is the "perfect" host and her partner is as well. The dining is so good, I would rate it superb in any city. The staff of the Saloon (and I don't drink!) are the friendliest I've ever known. There are musicians on the weekends and "open mike" on Thurs. I'd rate the musicians some of the best I've ever heard and that takes in a lot of territory! Being a former ELCA Pastor/Chaplain, I know good music when I hear it and talent as well. People, put this hotel on your "Bucket List"! It is worth every penny and then some!! And say hello to wonderful Dawn for me too!!

Room Tip: If you can, take the suite at the front of the house (can't remember name). It's not cheap, but it is amazing!! Don't miss the library--I would spend the rest of my life there, if I could! The saloon is a must and the restaurant is one of the best I've ever experienced--in any category! Go, stay, visit, roam the halls, visit with Dear Dawn (owner), the bar tender and listen to the music. WONDERFUL!
    • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed June 23, 2013

We really wanted to stay here but it was sold out. We happened to walk over to check it out and a room had become available. It was way over our price range and we already had a hotel elsewhere paid for. The owner gave us the room at an amazing rate! I think we spent the first two hours taking photos of our room. The history in this hotel is amazing. I felt like we shouldn't actually be staying in the room. It was too incredible to disturb. If you get a chance you need to stay here. Clean, friendly, amazing history, friendly staff!
    Also, our bed was SO comfortable!

Room Tip: You can check out the rooms online for the best fit for you...
    • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

My family's time here was just as we had hoped...incredible. The woman at the front desk was very helpful even carrying a bag of mine to the room. The "Outlaw" was spotless with definite attention given to detail so as to complete the trip back to the 30s. The bathroom was sweet and all less myself took advantage of a good soak. A nice touch was the 2 tvs in our room hidden by a little curtain. It was nice having the option to watch two different things at night's end. The beds and floor were a bit squeaky but I think this added to the atmosphere. As another reviewer stated, all vacant rooms were open for the viewing. Every room I entered was beyond belief. Finally a hotel with wifi that works. That should say something regarding their attention to detail as most chain places have wimpy wifi. Lobby was spectacular and the radio playing true oldies added to the experience. The receptionist didn't even reprimand me for my "maple leaf rag" going so far as to encourage my playing while she checked that our room was ready. Not meaning to scare but my wife states she felt as though someone was sitting at the foot of the bed in the middle of the night. I was awakened by slow boot like footsteps at about 330. After I was fully awake I distinctly heard 4 more such steps. No doors opened or closed after the footsteps ended. Common room outside bordello was an nice place to have a bite if you had some food in their fridge. Fridge could have used defrosting and work on the latch. Saloon next door was right out of "Shane" less gunslingers. Only regret was staying but one night. I am already thinking about our next stay.

• Stayed: June 2013