We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buffalo
The Historic Occidental Hotel & Saloon and The Virginian Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed one night for our 20th wedding anniversary. The hotel is steeped in history and reminds me of staying at my grandparents ranch. There is a community coffee pot and microwave in a pantry upstairs. The hotel was quiet (except for the squeaky floorboards) and the staff was very friendly. We would stay again the next time we are in Buffalo.

• Stayed: May 2013
There are newer reviews for The Historic Occidental Hotel & Saloon and The Virginian Restaurant

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This historical old hotel is wonderful and is a great tourist attraction. Rooms are large and well appointed. The staff is delightful and knowledgable about the place. Situated over a stream, it is restful and quiet. The Virginian Restaurant is a treat as a historical restaurant. Though the meals are good, they are pricey. The back rooms are quieter than those near the bar. The town itself has a few interesting sites and some wonderful outdoor murals and bronze works are within a block or two. There is The Busy Bee next door for breatfast since the hotel has no breakfast service. Th best part of the hotel is simply th historical decor and the history. The owner has done an outstanding job and is most interesting to talk to.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Honestly, I have read reviews written prior to this one and I don't know what to add to the five-star reviews because they have covered just about everything. This is was of the most amazing hotels I have ever stayed in, for historic reasons, uniqueness, gorgeousness....you name it! I can't wait to return from Virginia and bring other family members.

My daughter and I were on a road trip from Va. following the Oregon Trail on her way to work in Glacier Park, Montana for the season. Obviously, we love history & this was the perfect hotel for those who appreciate history. We stayed in the Owen Wister Suite because we absolutely love having a balcony. We thought it was cool that we were Virginians staying in the suite where the novel was written.

We had fun participating in Trivia Night in the saloon which occurs on Monday nights at 7:00--boy, the locals take this seriously!!! We came out scoring in the middle of the pack (not as smart as we thought we were!)
)Dawn, the owner, took so much of her time talking with us about history and her wonderful late husband. We learned so much while talking with her, especially about the Johnson County Cattle Wars. I want to come back and stay an extra night just to talk with her more when she has time. I get the feeling she makes time for everyone though! From reading the other reviews, it is apparent that she joyfully shares knowledge and stories with all....and here I thought Bethany and I were the only ones (many smiles). I will be sending her tourist info to share from my part of the world, the Shenandoah Valley.....if only I appreciated it as much as I love the WEST! Occidental means "the West", ya know? I didn't until Dawn told me.

Request ghost stories while you are here----I don't believe they are "stories" though; I believe they are facts!

Room Tip: All good! You can walk around and look at them-no two are alike. There is one balcony - the Owen Wi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is one of the coolest places I have ever stayed... There is history around every corner and if the history of the West is interesting to you then this is the place to see and enjoy.

Add to that the Saloon is a great place to have a drink or a pint. We stayed here on Thursday night for the well known (locally) Bluegrass Jam Session night. This is as cool as the hotel and if you can pair them together, so much the better. The only thing we didn't do was eat at the Virginian. That was a mistake.

Here is my recommendation:

1.) Book a room at the Occidental Hotel for a night or two. Make it your base of operation to explore Buffalo and other cool places within and hour or two (Sheridan, etc.).
2.) Work it out so one of those nights is a Thursday...you will not be disappointed!
3.) Grab dinner at the Virginian an hour before the jam session starts-we made some friends at the jam session and they said they loved the restaurant. That was our one regret although we both enjoyed our pub food at that saloon.
4.) After dinner the hotel will have a reserved table for you at the saloon so you can hunker down for some amazing music. If I lived nearby I would be here every week.
5.) After the music chill out in the lobby or lumber up the stairs to you historic room!!!

By the way, Dawn the Innkeeper is really nice and if you have any questions she will help you out. Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: We took the suite by the creek and we loved it. The clawfoot tub was amazing!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2013

What a beautiful place full of wonderful history. Built in 1880, the hotel still showcases many of its original features and furnishings. The saloon and restaurant are also original. Some of the famous or infamous that have stayed there are Butch Cassidy and the Hole-in-the-Wall Gang, Calamity Jane, Buffalo Bill, Tom Horn, Ernest Hemingway, the young Teddy Roosevelt... and many more. All rooms and suites are furnished with antiques and decorated in elegant period style all of them also have large private baths, we loved out large bath with the claw tub. We stayed in the Clear Creek room and it was outstanding, loving the antiques radio that actually worked and played music from the 20's, 30's and 40's, wow what a treat that was. The antiques run through out the house, along the hall walls you can see period clothing, books, quilts, and furniture. The staff were friendly and very knowledgeable answering our many questions. As we spoke with Dawn (Mrs. Wexo), she was the most pleasant and enjoyable lady I have ever met and as anyone talking to her can tell takes great pride in the restoration that her and her husband John took on years ago and I for one am very happy that they were able to bring this place back to life, it would have been such a lose. We were able to walk through and look into any of the rooms that were not occupied and see how beautifully decorated they were. The Virginian restaurant was named after the famous author Owen Wister, author of The Virginian, it is known that he spent many happy hours in the Occidental lobby and saloon, and based his characters on what he observed there. Many historians believe that the shoot-out at the climax of the book — the first "walk down" in Western literature — took place in front of the Occidental. The saloon with it's 25 ft bar was surreal when you think of all the famous people who have bellied up to it, if you look around you can still count 23 original bullet holes in the walls and ceiling. We had the best time staying here and exploring that I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Occidental really lives its history and is very central to your stay. This is a building that has history all over its walls with photos, books, clothes, quilts and its furniture. Each of the rooms has its own history, so you get a sense about either who has stayed in a room - Butch Cassidy, the brothel, just among a few. Each room is very nicely done. Dawn was extremely helpful with information and travel advice. The food at the restaurant was a bit disappointing, and when signing for the charge of the meal to the room, I forgot to add on a tip. Was unhappy that they added a $15 tip onto our room bill without any discussion ( this has resulted in us dropping the rating, which would have otherwise been much higher) The bar has live music a few nights a week with a mix of local musicians, which was a nice way to end the evening.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Emma-Tsultrim W
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This quaint bit of western living history is the place to stay if you want something different to the usual chain hotels. Each of the rooms is furnished differently with Victorian antiques and decor. The reception staff were really welcoming, taking the time to provide us with information and answers to our numerous questions about the place. The floorboards creak, the door locks are a bit sloppy and the heating in our room was a bit of a mystery, but the bed was exceptionally comfortable, the bathroom clean and spacious. Our room overlooked the Main Street, but there was no traffic noise.

We ate in the fine dining room of the Virginian Restaurant, which is attached to the hotel. The menu was creative. The food was well prepared and was not expensive. Light meals (burgers) w also available in the hotel saloon - which featured live music the night we were there.

Breakfast is available in the Busy Bee Cafe next door to (which also seems to be owned by the hotel). This was the only tricky part of our stay. Our server on the day was stressed out by people arriving for breakfast and was completely thrown by our asking for more than a single item on the menu. The pancake stack tasted of whatever was cooked on the hot plate previously and was indelible. We had to send it back. Hopefully, this was an exception, because our stay otherwise was an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple