“An Absolute Nightmare” 1 of 5 bubbles

Bozeman Trail Steak House
Ranked #10 of 34 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York
“An Absolute Nightmare”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We found ourselves in Buffalo, Wyoming on a Monday night when "The Virginian" is closed. We tried a second highly recommended restaurant, to learn it was also closed on Mondays. It was getting late, so our spirits lifted when we saw the Bozeman Trail Steakhouse was open! We were seated promptly, and our orders were taken. Then the problems began. The air conditioning was on full blast, despite the outside temperature having cooled down considerably. One of the A/C vents was directly under our booth, and we told the server it was much too cold. Her solution was to give us a dinner menu to open and place over the vent. I thought that was absurd, but we complied. It was still freezing, but the other tables were either occupied or dirty and we thought we could stand it for the short time it would take us to eat. Then we sat. And sat. And sat. We watched other diners who arrived at the same time, receive their food, eat, and leave, having been long gone while we still sat there without as much as our side salads. I noticed other diners rolling their eyes at our server’s lack of attention and skill. She brought out three salads from the kitchen, stacked on top of each other, bowl bottoms touching salad. (Ever hear of using a tray?)

After we'd been sitting there an hour, I flagged down our server and asked if we could at least have our salads, and she looked at me like it was unheard of to serve a salad prior to the entree, but said she could do that. By this time, it was 9:00 PM and the place was emptying out. We asked to be moved to a different table because it was so freezing cold, and despite there being numerous empty tables, they moved us to the booth directly on the other side of the A/C vent. Our meals finally arrived with no apology or explanation. It was the best chicken fried steak I ever had, but the horrible customer service left a bad taste in my mouth.

Visited August 2012

Boise, Idaho
“Eat somewhere else.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

For the price of the food, you'd expect prime rib- what you'll get is ground chuck, and it will be either overdone or undercooked. Much as I'd like to rate this place higher, the food is universally sub-par. It also costs far more than it's worth. Baked potato here is greasy, meat is frozen in the middle or burned, and vegetables appear to have resided in a vat before appearing on my plate.

Another reviewer was unwilling to wait 40 minutes to go elsewhere- I'd wait 40 minutes just to avoid eating here. TNot that it mattered- the bean soup was like chewing gravel. Since it took them almost an hour to serve us, and we were the only ones in the whole place, there's no reason the food should be awful...but it was. The food is just plain bad, and the only reason I go there is if I want to be in a restaurant that is completely empty at dinner hour. There are reasons the locals don't eat here: The names of those reasons are "High Price" and "Bad Food".

Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
“Great local place to stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We came here from reference by hotel mgr. We were glad we came. Food was great, even thought we only had sandwiches & burgers. Sat immediately, service fast. Good prices, beer cold. Popular local place, near hotels. My wife left her sweater, waitress ran out to give to her. Great service!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't judge a book by its cover!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Admittedly I first tried to get in a steak house down the street, but was way too hungry to wait for 40 minutes. Stopped at the Bozeman Trail Steak House instead and very glad that I did! The waitress (Nicole) was young but did a great job and was very pleasant. Starting off, the iced tea was very clear and well brewed (sorry, I enjoy my iced tea!). They also had a nice selection of micro brews and my friend was impressed with the "Summer Salt" light amber. BBQ ribs were tasty with a sauce that left a warm feeling in your mouth; very meaty! Great dessert selection too!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Kanawha, Iowa
“Great meal at a great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was a great place to eat in Buffalo - wait time was short and the staff was very friendly. We had sandwiches (my husband wanted to try buffalo sometime during the trip :) and they were great - my husband loved the fries as well. We decided to try an apple dumplng for dessert, even though we were probably too full, and it was so good - drizzled with a caramel sauce. Delicious!

Visited July 2012