“Table With A View!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We were seated at one of the curtained, private tables looking out on Main Street of Buffalo- the kind of table Wyatt and Mattie might have dined at! The waitress was friendly and the food was delicious, yet reasonably priced. The Virginian and the Occidental Saloon are not to be missed when traveling through northern Wyoming. Ask to be shown the bullet holes in the saloon! Let's not let places like this disappear.

2  Thank theraglady

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Good service and quality food. The Caesar salad was the best I've ever eaten. Friends had the elk and thought it a good choice.

1  Thank hagonanag
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stay in Buffalo often, but had never been to The Virginian at the Occidental Hotel. We heard from locals it was spendy, but you have to consider that most of the rest of the restaurants in town are steak joints with defunct animal heads on the walls where you get a spud the size of a front-loader bucket to make sure you leave full.

We sat in the window in an alcove for two, and when we heard the "Chef Special" we went for it. Boy, are we glad we did. My wife ordered a duck entree in a berry balsamic sauce, and I opted for the bison ravioli. The dinner included some amazing pot stickers and a very fresh mixed-green salad to start (the salad with home-made ranch and blue cheese dressings) and a bottle of wine.

Normally when you get a bottle of wine with dinner at this price ($65 for two) you are risking drinking Fetzer or some other swill, but this was a very excellent bottle of Columbia Crest Shiraz that opened well and finished well, and went with everything the chef selected (tricky.) The duck came with asparagus and wild rice that both perfectly complemented the duck, which was tender and delicious (my wife shared some with me). The dinner also included dessert, which was a triple-layer chocolate cheese cake slice that was more than plenty to share.

We thought the chef might have moved to Buffalo from some big city in a case of metropolitan flight, but he's young local guy named Jacob Barrera, and his instincts for pairing foods and wine are amazing. The decor is 1880's, but the service and the food are both excellent and right up-to-date. Don't miss this if you want a special dinner while in Buffalo -- otherwise, if you just want a quick stop for some good grub and you don't fancy chain joints, try the Dash Inn, another of our favorites.

3  Thank Brian B
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I am on a business trip and the Victorian was recommended. The restaurant is located within the historic Occidental hotel. Its decorated nicely. I loved the wood fire stove that's displayed in the dinning room. One of their specials was elk tenderloin with parsley potatoes, asparagus and mushrooms in a red wine glaze. The tenderloin was perfect. The potatoes could have been cooked a bit longer. I am not a fan of all dente spuds. I also ordered the creamy tomato soup with bacon. The soup tasted delicious but I would have filtered the skins out. The price was what I expected to pay. The entire meal with a nice glass of Shiraz cost me $44...the service was good.

3  Thank Veronica H
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had dinner in this historic hotel. The whole place oozes a Victorian atmosphere with lots of antiques. Very interesting lobby and saloon where you could also have dinner.
We opted for the more expensive Virginian Restaurant. Without a reservation we got a very nice table at the window in one of the rooms of this charming restaurant. We had a glass of wine which was fine.
The menu looked great. My wife ordered Lamb Shank and I asked for the Chicken Marsala. The waiter added that my dish had no real Marsala (why name it like that?)..
To our diappointment the food was not good. The chicken had a sharp taste of liquor that did not resemble Marsala at all. The lamb shank was not tasty too. Instead of polenta my wife had asked for French fries, However, the lamb was still served with polenta.
There were too many imperfections to rate this restaurant as excellent or very good. Really a pity for such a romantic place.

2  Thank Pensionado