“Great customer service”

Holiday Inn Express Buffalo
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I had managed to mess up the booking for this hotel (I had accidentally booked for the night AFTER we actually arrived...) and we arrived quite late, but the desk staff couldn't have been more helpful - helped me cancel my initial booking whilst my husband was getting the luggage out of the car, and then rebooked me with no fuss whatsoever. The hotel is in every way a "standard" example of what holiday Inn Express now offers in the US - much better than just a few years ago, with pretty consistent breakfast service across the brand and very acceptable comfort levels in spacious rooms. This is a great location for stopping off between Yellowstone and the Black hills of South Dakota, and I'd use again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IMUK
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Buffalo

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times with my family and we've never been disappointed. The beds are extremely comfortable, the hot water is hotter than any hotel I've stayed in - about the temperature I keep it at home. Breakfast selection is typical, but the coffee could be better. We have always had a nice room with refrigerator and microwave. Another plus is the wireless internet: it is the easiest to use that I've encountered at a hotel. Also, perhaps because this HIE was only built a couple of years ago it has plenty of outlets for all the gadgets the average family travels with these days. The little town of Buffalo has some good restaurants, including the Virginian in the Occidental Hotel, and a mexican restaurant across the street. If you're passing through the area give Buffalo a try -- it's a pleasant respite from the pressured environment of Gillette which has been taken over by energy industry people who are from somewhere other than Wyoming or Montana.

2  Thank russelltrunzo
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stopped here on our way between Yellowstone and Hill City, SD. It was very handy for a stopover. It was close to the interstate and Buffalo is an interesting little town. It's worth a stop just to visit the Occidental Hotel and Saloon - definitely a step back in time!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank leateach
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our drive back home from Jackson Hole. It's a small town, but right off of the interstate, so it was a perfect stopping point on our way towards South Dakota. The hotel was basic but clean, provided a complimentary continental breakfast (though you could get pre-maid scrambled eggs, buscuits and gravy, and they had a make-your-own pancake station), so for the price it was fine. They do have a pool, but we were so tired from driving that we didn't use it (but it looked nice). The only negative was that the air conditioning unit was extremely loud; every time it went off it made me practically jump out of bed. I'm a light sleeper to start with (I'm one of those people who hears everything and has to cover the glowing clock dial on the microwave because it "bothers me"), but this seemed louder than normal. We did turn the thermostat to "off" but the control didn't work and the unit kept going off. I went to the desk on my way to get something from the snack store, but couldn't find anyone; I should have persisted and kept calling to see if someone could shut the unit off entirely. I didn't really realize how loud it would be until we actually went to sleep. Fortunately once the kids conk out they sleep like the dead so the only person it really bothered was me (like I said, I should have called but when you're going on two hours of sleep over five nights and have been driving through Wyoming for the past 7 hours, you aren't exactly thinking clearly). Other than the air conditioner, it was perfectly fine; just make sure you can turn the unit off and if you can't, call the desk.

1  Thank hauskat
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This property is a perfect example of why we switched our brand loyalty to Hilton, poor maintenance is the biggest issue you start at the front desk where the sign indicating that this where you check in is hanging askew then you notice the quantity of dust and dust balls collected in the business center and this all before you turn the corner to head for the elevator. Once you arrive at your room you notice the black scuff marks on the wall where suitcases are probably normally opened and then into the bathroom where you notice tub caulk that was way past needing replaced, the tub plug which should have been attached to the tub was sitting on the side of the tub instead, the the little ring of metal that should have been on the wall over the shower head was resting against the shower head therefore exposing the hole in the wall from which the plumbing protruded, the drain ring was chipped and rusty looking and the counter top was not securely fastened to the wall. The exhaust fan for the bathroom was so loud it would actually give you a headache and it was tied in with the light switch so that if you had the light on it roared. I had formed a mental picture of the maintenance staff of this hotel and I found out I was spot on when I went to check out because there stood two elderly gentlemen drinking free coffee and chatting up the desk clerk instead of performing their duties around the hotel.If you find yourself in Buffalo, WY in need of quality lodging I can recommend the Hampton Inn across the road it is very well maintained and a better breakfast.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in June. The suites were spacious and clean. We loved the mountain views and the pool was very pleasant. Wifi worked well. The breakfast was quite satisfactory. We would stay there again - it suited our needs just perfectly.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed one night at this HIE in Buffalo, WY while on our way home through the beautiful Big Horn Mountains! Cool little town, really nice hotel, a good night's sleep before continuing the long journey back home. Staff was pleasant enough, worked hard to keep the breakfast bar area well stocked as it seemed all the guests were hanging around to continually wipe it out (taking advantage of the free breakfast, I'm sure). The floors in the room (bed and bath) should have been cleaner, but overall, no real complaints. I consider this a nice stop over when driving long distances between the Ozark mountains of Arkansas, the Big Horn mountains of Wyoming, and Glacier National Park in Montana!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple