“Something different”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Buffalo
Harpenden, UK
“Something different”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Sometimes, I plan to get away from America's chain hotels and try an independent hotel or motel. Thus, and because of the good reviews, I found myself at the Z-Bar Motel in Buffalo. We had a cabin, very different from a room at a Hampton Inn, but as always seems to happen, I found myself wishing I was in an anonymous chain hotel. The owners at the Z-Bar couldn't have been more welcoming, including Millie the dog, and the cabin was clean and nicely furnished. But it was small and dark, the air conditioning noisy, the bathroom miniscule, the patio dusty and the car parking space weedy. And I've stayed in many a less expensive chain motel than this. But it was fine for a night, something different.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UKPeripatetic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Eads, Tennessee
Reviewed August 30, 2011

One of the best hotels on our extended trip...a great value. Our cabin was large, very nice and exceptionally clean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donald E
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed here in April 2006. We had driven cross country from Rhode Island to Washington state. We saw our fair share of hotels/motels on that trip and this one stood out. We still talk about it and we would go back in a minute. We arrived late in the evening and they were very pleasant and accomodating. The Cabins were super cute. Beds were comfy. I recall at the time they provided a AAA discount and were pet friendly.

We woke up to a snow covered car and an amazing view of the mountains. Seems like a pass-thru kinda town but, when we stopped here....we just wanted to hang out and relax. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2011
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This little cabin was so cute and a great stop traveling through Wyoming from Custer State Park to Yellowstone! It was very clean and comfortable with a nice fridge and microwave. My dog was allowed too which was awesome! My only regret isn't that I couldn't spend more time here!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I stayed here with my fiance on our trip between Yellowstone and Hill City. The place was nice. Bed was comfortable and everything appeared clean. Bathroom was large and had extra soap and such. Buffalo is a quiet town but it was great to pass through for a night to rest. The cabin could use some updating. However, the thing I disliked was being told several different prices. When I called to ask about the cabin the price I was given was around $55. When I called back to confirm the room I was told a rate of $70. It was speaking to the same person and even told them the price they had said only an hour prior (it was using a AAA card) but he said the price remained at $70 but could get lower because the cabin had a kitchen and as long as we didn't use it then we could receive a discount. That was fine with us. When we arrived I was charged $90 and never received anything back for not using the kitchen. I was too tired and too annoyed at that point to fight- plus it was the man's teenage daughter that checked us in. It isn't like we could not afford the $90, I just did not like how the price rose so much in 1 day.

Room Tip: if you plan on staying and they give you a price you are OK with jump on it before it gets higher
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
cozycabin, Owner at Z-Bar Motel, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
We very much appreciate that our guests take the time to write a review of our property. Thank-you. I would like to clarify something that was said in regards to our daughter. If a mistake was made, it was our mistake, not hers. She has been thoroughly trained to run the front desk and acts in a very professional manner. I can't tell you the number of compliments we have received on her behalf. We do from time to time make a mistake and are more than willing to correct it if brought to our attention. It may have been that we neglected to tell our daughter that we gave you a special price. If that was the case, I apologize. We do not have a $55.00 rate at this time of year, however. The rate on a kitchen unit is $95.00 and if the kitchen was not needed, the rate would have been $85.00 not $55.00. If you called from a cell phone, there may have been a miscommunication there? We stand behind a rate quote. When a reservation is made the rate is entered into our booking program. If there is a question and we are not in the office, Recbecca would have made us aware of the problem and it could have been discussed in the morning. Thank-you for bringing to my attention the importance of clear and concise communication.
Surry, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My wife and I were on a 30 day cross country motorcycle trip this leg was from Yellowstone/ Tetons through Wyoming to the Black Hills, SD. Owner very welcoming and helpful. Motorcycle friendly, park outside your door. Nice large room, very clean, excellent wireless internet. This was the best lodging value of the entire trip. We would definitely recommend this motel in the Buffalo, WY area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter M
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Our family stayed here on a recent trip west. Our room was spacious, well-kept, quiet and had comfortable beds. However, our room was showing signs of age and wear, particularly in the bathroom, which had peeling wall paint and a shower whose worn-out faucet/shower set could no longer easily control the temp mix--it was either scalding hot or cold, with only a minute fraction in-between.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family