“Perfect vacation”

Zurich, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect vacation”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This week was the best vacation ever. Bobbi and Mike are wonderful, friendly and warm people, they are very experienced in organizing camps and made it perfect for us.
The Tipis were spacious, surrounded by wild flowers and it was wonderfully quiet and peaceful. They have camping beds and foam mattresses, I slept like a baby.

Like others already said: all the horses are well broke and lots of fun to ride. Bobbi and Mike do a great job in matching horses and riders, I still can't decide which of the three horses I rode I loved most. And the scenery .. just look at the pictures!

Clara was our wonderful cook, the food was not only very tasty and diverse, but quite healthy as well. And it's such a relaxing thing to come home from a long ride and to be provided with an Aperitif, closely followed by a delicious dinner. It was fun to hang around the camp fire with everybody after dinner and tell and listen to camp stories (and songs!). There is really nothing left that could have been better in my eyes.
Thanks a lot, Bobbi, Mike, and Clara!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank KattiQ

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Want to learn more about horses? Riding? Or yourself?”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Ventured completely outside my comfort zone, and I couldn't be happier about it. I started riding just 7 months before booking the vacation, and knew that the best way to improve was extended time in the saddle.

Blue sky sage gives you that
...and so much more

the maximum riders per vacation is only 6, so you are assured individualized attention. You are riding through the open land of Wyoming. Guiding your horse up mountains, down mountains, across streams... There's no such thing as a trail... You're walking, trotting, and loping (not mandatory) through the widest and most beautiful horizons you can imagine.

the horses are very well cared for, and you will be well matched to your horse. No bucking broncos here.

Accommodations? It's what I like to call upscale camping. Hopefully you'll have a cook as wonderful and as fun as I did. Julie, I miss you. My favorite? Hors d'oeuvres after every ride. Warm water in the shower tents and (reasonably) spacious tents that I didn't have to assemble!

Mike and Bobbie make every effort to provide the most productive, memorable, and fun experience they can... While making sure you're safe and well educated at every turn.

There are so many reasons that booking a riding vacation here is the right thing to do. (did I mention swimming in the "crick" to cool off ? Staring at the stars?)

Visited June 2013
Gurnee, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“I just finished my 7th year riding with Blue Sky Sage”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I completed my 7th trip out to Wyoming with BSS this year. The first year I took a chance and went by myself. My husband didn't ride (he's taking lessons now) and I had always wanted to do some kind of camping trip with horses. The trip was great and has gotten better every year. I was concerned about being out in a remote location and not knowing any of the other people on the trip. Not a problem. As someone else said, you're with like-minded people who love the outdoors and horses. I've been with some of the same people I met that first year on every trip. There is always LOTS to talk about, and if you ever need some down time, you can read or nap in your tent. Not that we’re in camp a whole lot. I always describe the trip as: eat, ride, eat, and sleep.
My trip this year was in Sept., and the colors were magnificent. But I have also been out in June, July, and August. There is no bad time to go. June has the wild flowers. In June and July the days are really long - sunsets last forever, July and Aug are warm and dry. In Sept, the nights are cooler but it still warms up nicely during the day. And the colors are beautiful.
This was the second year that I've ridden out to see the wild horses. We saw three bands of horses the day we went out. It really like was being in a movie, between the scenery and the horses. The other days are spent riding in a different direction every day. The terrain varies between forest, hills, and open meadows. We ride cross-country and on jeep / ATV trails.
Some tips if you go...The packing list on the website is really good. I print it off every year and use it as a checklist. Don't worry about not having the “right” riding clothes - we have people in our group in jeans and in breeches. Just make sure you'll be comfortable riding for hours in your clothes and boots. If you have questions, call or email Bobbi and Mike.
Plans for the future - I'm signed up for 2013. I've planted a bug in my husband's ear that we may go on one of the couples' trips someday. But that would be in addition to my week trip!

5 Thank TriciaY60031
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“The highlight of my year .... and I travel a lot!”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was also my 3rd year with Blue Sky Sage, and my mind was made up to book for 2013 long before the week was over. My first trip was booked as a surprise birthday present by my husband, and I don't think he ever could have imagined just how much pleasure it would give me. I went on my own and was initially a little apprehensive but the trip was fantastic and the people, horses, hospitality and food were wonderful.
For my 2nd trip Bobbi did a little "matchmaking" and suggested that I join a group of repeat guests, and I now feel that I have new friends for life.(Thank you Bobbi)
I have been fortunate to travel a lot, staying in many luxurious and exotic places, but I can honestly say that the Blue Sky Sage trip is the highlight. The trips really are unique.
My concerns before my first trip were that I wouldn't fit in with the rest of the group, the camping would be a little too "basic", it would feel too remote without any cell phone/ internet/Facebook! How wrong I was. I'm starting to realize that people who seriously love horses, riding and the great outdoors are usually very like minded and mix well. Also Bobbi seems to have a great talent for putting groups together. This is a fabulous opportunity to make new friends.
The camping and lack of phone/Internet are actually one of the highlights. Going to sleep and waking up at the side of the Little Sandy whilst listening to the river just cannot be replicated. The tepees are spacious, warm (and very bug free) .. And I had my best nights sleep ever.
There is a shower tent but we all had so much fun chatting, drinking wine, and reminiscing at the end of the day, whilst bathing in the river, that it was rarely used.
The horses are a real pleasure to ride. fit, responsive, and fun. Everyone on our ride was very experienced, and almost all owned their own horses. The riding was often fast, lots of loping and certainly never nose to tail ! I had so much fun I almost bought the horse that I was riding!!!
Our ride was in September, and the trees were stunning .... No other word for it ... Just stunning ! I love photography and found it difficult to put my camera down.
With all the riding that we did I hoped to lose a pound or two... Not a hope! The food was delicious and plentiful! There wasn't a single meal that I didn't want to overindulge in!
If you are an experienced rider, fit, and looking for a little adventure and a break from a hectic busy life then I couldn't recommend Blue Sky Sage enough.

Finally I was also with BSS the year that the camp had to be relocated. It was beyond anyone's control, and the camp, horses, riding, food, people were still better than I imagine you would find anywhere else.

3 Thank Ajsaraf
Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Fabulous week of riding and great memories!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This year was my 3rd year with Blue Sky Sage and I have already signed up for 2013. I initially went on my own to BSS and joined a group of 5 other experienced riders unknown to me, that Bobbi, (the owner), thought would be a great fit. She was 100% correct and all three years have been amazing weeks of riding with the same amazing women who I am happy to say have become very good friends!

Bobbi and Mike cater to your riding abilities so it is a great experience for everyone and they have beautiful, responsive horses fit for all riders. There is no nose to tail riding here. For the experienced rider the loping can be unlimited......

Camp truly is camping. You sleep in your own teepee by the Little Sandy. There is a shower teepee as well as toilet teepees, and a dining tent with a wood stove. The food is delicious, from hearty breakfast, to hor'deurves at cocktail hour and sumptuous dinners. You will never go hungry. Evenings are spent around the campfire often with Bobbi playing guitar. This is the place to go if you want to get it away from it all.... No cell service, no internet, no electricity, just wonderful scenery, amazing horses and wonderful owners who make certain you are enjoying every minute of your vacation.

I own my own horses, and yet, this year will be my 4th year riding with Blue Sky Sage. It's just that good....... And in response to the one negative review, I also was with BSS that year, and while it was an unfortunate change in location due to the severe winter and the inability to access camp on the Little Sandy, it was still outstanding and did not prevent me from returning again. It really is what you make of it..... regardless of where camp is located.

2 Thank ksoparadise