“Where's the Beef?”

Ranked #18 of 30 Restaurants in Woodruff
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
“Where's the Beef?”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a place to go for a quick lunch, but we weren't up for the fast food option. We wanted some home cookin', so we decided to try the ma and pa diner we passed on the road on our way to Minoqua. We didn't know if it would be a dive, and were prepared to walk out if it was. I was pleasantly surprised. The place was neat and clean and looked quaint. The history on the menu was interesting so I suggested we stay. I had great expectations for the food. The waitress/owner? Told us they do not accept credit cards, so my husband left me there to hit the ATM at the nearby bank.

My husband ordered 2 scrabbled eggs, some awful mushy Hash that he said looked like they scrapped it out if a can onto the plate, and raisin toast for $6.95. I ordered a 1/4 pound California burger that came with chips, for $5.25. On this burger was to be lettuce, tomato, and onions. I asked that my onions be fried rather than raw, and for some cheese. When my burger came, I asked my hubby, where's the beef!? Though they highly acclaimed their burgers on the menu, It looked like only lettuce, tomato and onions! I flipped it over and removed the bottom bun to find, indeed, they had put a mini-pad of sorts of beef on the bottom. It was less appetizing than a McDonalds burger, and smaller than their smallest burger! It was at least a half inch smaller in diameter than the bun! It appeared a joke, but when we asked the older waitress that took care of us, if it was supposed to be a quarter pounder, she said, "I don't think so". When I showed her on the menu that indeed it was, she went back And we heard her ask the boss lady, who said mine was. Um. NO. Wish I had a scale! And,they charged us .75 extra for the cheese and .50 extra to fry the onions. I paid $6.50 for a lettuce and tomato sandwich with beef seasoning! As much as I dislike McD's, I would have much preferred the less expensive but more filling Quarter Pounder with Cheese burger there! We had such high hopes, but they were dashed. I would have loved to give this place a great review, but though they knew we were dissatisfied, not a comment was made, either. We had to ask for a receipt, as they didnt give us one. We made our comment in tip format.

• Visited October 2013

Carefree, Arizona
“Good food and service, go after 9:00 am.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have been going to this cafe for breakfast for several weeks. The interior is small, and crowded before 9:00 in the morning. It then seems to empty out. The breakfast is really good, since the chef (and owner) is known as somewhat of a perfectionist. The eggs, whether poached or over medium or whatever, are always done perfectly. Service can be a little slow sometimes, due to some large groups, usually appearing on Wednesdays. Try the corned beef hash and poached eggs. You won't be sorry.

• Visited August 2013
Lakewood, Colorado
“Good breakfast in the North Woods”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my first trip to the North Woods of Wisconsin and I was there for a friend's wedding. We stumbled upon the Woods Cafe for breakfast. We walked in got the feeling that we were the only outsiders- not unwelcome, but definitely felt like we stuck out. Everyone was very friendly and the cafe was crowded with locals ready to head out for a day at the lake. The wait staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. The food was a bit slow, but when it arrived it was very delicious. I'd return if I'm ever up north.

Visited August 2013