“In Town for Baseball”

Hotel Mead & Conference Center
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“In Town for Baseball”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I was in town with my 13 year old son for a baseball tournament. This hotel was almost right in the middle of both fields we played at so the location was perfect for our needs. Also had one of the other players on our team stay with us. Beds are double beds and my son is 6' tall and moves a lot so we each needed our own bed and I brought a blow up. Was able to fit that easily. Hotel was very clean and quiet (we were in the west wing on the 4th floor). Staff were all very friendly and responsive. Very active hotel with weddings and different things going on. A lot of other teams staying here too. Was happy to see it busy --- always a good sign. Other than the obnoxious kids from Menomonee Falls who were spitting off the balcony in the center of the hotel the stay was excellent. Will definitely stay here in the future if in Rapids again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor and on the end if possible. We were on the west wing on the end on 4th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Al D, Owner at Hotel Mead & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Jason - thank you so much for the kind review. We loved having all the baseball teams stay here for the tournament. I will relay the praises to the staff, we were extremely busy and they were on the go the entire weekend. Hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Recently my wife and I ate at there Cafe Mulino and boy has that changed but not for the better. They changed their menus with over priced dinner meals. The thing I laughed about the most is with being charged over $20.00 dollars for a small steak you have to serve yourself a salad, what a joke. Also the food wasn't the best. While my wife and I were trying to enjoy a decent evening I had noticed an apparent employee one with no uniform was in deep conversation about how to fix simple things in guest rooms. I have been in maintance for many years and the problems he was telling the owners were simple. I would not recommend the cafe Mulino to anyone as long as it's under the current ownership. Also people complain about there A/C in there rooms not working if they had the proper maintenance people they would not have such simple mistakes being made regarding the air in guest rooms. I would strongly recommend to people to find a different hotel in the summer. Best of luck hotel mead cause your going to need it..

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Randy S
Al D, Owner at Hotel Mead & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Randy - I appreciate the feedback. As one of the owners, I am truly sorry that your dining experience was less than favorable. After purchasing the hotel in 2012, it has been our goal to restore the hotel to its previous stature as a first class establishment in the community. We will continue to strive to that end but again I sincerely apologize to you for what you encountered.
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I'll be very generous in this review - its a terrible spot, would not recommend unless you can completely devalue the dollar, then lower your expectations.

Got in the room, I reserved two queen beds with a sleeper sofa. There was one king bed with a sleeper sofa. Myself, my wife and two small children (both kids that roll around at night so sleeping in the same bed isn't a good option) would be staying. There is a big difference between two beds and three, humans understand this, apparently this hotel does not. Strike 1.

Got in the room after a long wedding ceremony to unwind with the kids before going back to the wedding dinner. Kids wanted to just watch some TV and be kids in a new place. Cable was out - nothing but fuzz on the set. Strike 2.

Hot outside, like 85 degrees. Hot inside, like 85 degrees. Advertised A/C as first amenity on list (following the two queen bed lie). 85 is air conditioned in certain parts of Iraq or Afghanistan, but not central Wisconsin. Was told it would be fixed soon, and maybe it was, maybe it wasn't but to get the room down to a reasonable temperature to sleep in, I knew it would probably take me just as long (2.5 hours) to just drive home for the night. Strike 3.

After a number of complaints to the front desk, I told them that we were not staying, and I'd like a refund because this was obviously not what I had asked for/expected. They cut the already too high rate of $130 down to $65 and said that it was the best they could do because I was already checked in for a few hours. Yep, sure was checked in, disappointed, and sweating. Nothing but the best experience for a frustrated traveler.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE - what a dump.

Room Tip: Go to Stevens Point to find decent lodging, it likely doesn't exist in Rapids. The Mead appears...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Adam G
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I apologize we did not meet your expectations and fell short in our mission as a hotel of hospitality first. We will correct the errors you have listed and work to make sure that type of situation does not ever occur in the future.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The property is clean and it is very spread out. It is in a great location and is a good spot for a conference (I assume).

The rooms are clean but need to be updated. The beds are very low to the ground which is kind of different in today's world of hotels (I am a Platinum traveler with a national chain so I get around).

Since there aren't any better options in Rapids, this hotel will do. I would not, however, make a trip to Rapids to visit the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Al D, Owner at Hotel Mead & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, it is a big place hopefully with the right amenities for the golfers in your group. The beds being replaced is a work in progress as we are making our way from the West Wing to the Atrium Tower. I apologize for not being at 100% with that transition but our guests should start to see a significant difference in the beds.
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 18, 2014

The tower rooms in the Mead Hotel are very nice and views of the city. They usually offer a golf package in conjunction with The Ridges, which is a lovely course. Dining room and bar also above average....huge indoor pool, whirlpool and workout room add to the fun.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Al D, Owner at Hotel Mead & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for the kind words especially regarding the Atrium Tower rooms, that part of the hotel is such a signature piece of the entire building it is nice to hear our guests still love it the way we do. We also have a great relationship with the local golf courses, glad you enjoy the packages.
Viroqua, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 25, 2014

There are new owners at this hotel and the food is terrible. We have been having our Easter Sunday Brunch here for 10 years. Everything was wonderful. Went this year and my daughter did not even eat. The food looked to be brought in from a fast food place. Will never return

Room Tip: We did not spend the night. Just came for their usually wonderful brunch which turned out to be terr...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
We have enhanced our menu options in the Café Mulino and were showcasing a few of those during the recent holiday buffets. I sincerely apologize we did not meet your expected standard. We certainly take your comments serious and will address accordingly during future large events.
Merrimac
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed for the 1st time for a weekend politically related conference. Rates were not cheap but not awful either relative to other conference suited hotels. One evening meals was part of the conference, and was relatively small but adequate if consuming enough beer. Room was large, nice and clean. Nothing marred the room experience. Stayed in the north tower area which is confusing to get back and forth from. Breakfast buffet in their restaurant was ok, nothing special. Make a fuss if you want coffee, as they did not offer coffee until about finished eating ready to leave.

Room Tip: I will try to be placed in the south tower next time.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Al D, Owner at Hotel Mead & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about the hotel. Our breakfast buffet has changed somewhat and we are fine tuning some of the favorite items, look for more on it as we develop it in the near future. I apologize for the coffee, that should be one of the first questions our servers ask. We are growing our conference business due to us being in the center of the state and your comments are important to us. Take care.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wisconsin Rapids
Sleep Inn And Suites Wisconsin Rapids
Sleep Inn And Suites Wisconsin R...
#2 of 7 in Wisconsin Rapids
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wisconsin Rapids
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wiscons...
#3 of 7 in Wisconsin Rapids
The Fern Hotel
The Fern Hotel
#4 of 7 in Wisconsin Rapids
Best Western Plover Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Plover / Stevens Point
AmericInn Plover-Stevens Point

Been to Hotel Mead & Conference Center? Share your experiences!