“Good Hotel”

Hotel Mead & Conference Center
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Staff: The staff for the most part was pretty friendly. There was one particular staff member who never greeted or ask how everything was, but I was not bothered by that. I enjoyed the staff that was at the bar - they were extremely friendly and full of social butterflies. The bar staff always had stories to share which resulted in me buying more drinks lol, but it made for a great time.

Exercise Room: It's nice to release some stress after a long day of work and taking advantage of the exercise room is something I always recommend at a hotel. The exercise room at Hotel Mead was clean, plenty of machines to use, and have plenty of televisions for your viewing pleasure. They also have a pool which seemed clean, but I didn't take advantage of it.

Inside Bar: There isn't a whole lot to do in middle-of-nowhere Wisconsin, so spending a few hours a night at the bar after a long day at work was pretty rewarding. I was able to meet other travel goers and network with others from around the country.

Showers: All I ask for in a hotel are clean sheets and a hot shower. The water was always hot and the shower head had plenty of pressure. I was satisfied. The hotel also offered complimentary soap, shampoo, and conditioner.

Internet: The hotel offers internet access and it was pretty quick. I never dropped my connection and didn't have any complaints about the speed.

The few negatives about the hotel:
* The hotel does seem a bit outdated, however, I have read that new ownership was taking over while I was there. Apparently the new ownership is putting a lot of money into the hotel to upgrade a lot of things and bring it up to par to the likes of a Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn.

* It's 2012, it's time to ditch the CRT television and upgrade to LCD with some HD channels. This is not to say that the TV is not watchable because I certainly watched sports all week long, but it's time to upgrade for the sake of modernization.

Overall, I recommend this hotel. The old style is nice and appreciative after spending many visits in more modern hotels. I slept well, was comfortable, and did not have any issues with other guests.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mead & Conference Center

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I slept very well these last few nights here. The lobby and hallways are beautiful but be prepared for the outdated rooms. The beds are small but who cares if you get a good night sleep on them. The workout room is spacious with various machines. I was pleasently surprised with how nice the machines were.
Would I stay here again? Yes
Ps they charge you for the water bottles in the room so beaware!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 29, 2012

It's obvious that the Mead is in transition since the new ownership took over in October of this year. Overall, the experience here was very pleasant, the staff friendly and helpful and can't wait to return in December. Hopefully some of the massive technology updates they have scheduled will be done as that Ethostream service is not at all conducive to getting work completed.....which meant I could take advantage of their Martini Tuesdays. Great time down at the Grand Avenue Bar.....the one day I didn't have a dinner meeting I indulged in an amazing pizza made in a natural brick oven which alone was pretty cool to see. I'm excited to see what other changes are planned for this very nice hotel.

Room Tip: The executive suites are quite large and roomy, especially the corner units. Although the bed wasn...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Excellent food, excellent service and excellent preparation, need I say more. This is our second reception held here in the last 4 years and it's been a great experience. Planning was convenient, the event planner (Joan) was weary helpful, not to mention patient and the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Very nice overnight stay. Quiet, clean and a great value for the amenities. We had a delicious dinner at the hotel, very reasonably priced. Sunday morning buffet lacking, better to order off the menu.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Mead has again changed hands. I noticed a few changes that showed improvements coming. The desk staff was friendly and helpful, there was a coffee service available for guests near the desk and the king bed had four pillows instead of the usual three. Though I did not have time to spend in the hotel we did get a night cap in the evening and the staff there was also friendly this time. Great to see, hopes for a wonderful hotel!!

Room Tip: It costs more but seems quieter in the west wing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We showed up at 3pm for check-in and our room wasn't ready yet. We were told to come back later. We came back at 4:30pm and the room was ready. We went to our room and there were blankets, sheets, towels...etc., laying all over the place and the bed wasn't made. We went back to the hotel desk and they gave us a different room. That room had been cleaned. This particular weekend, the outside temperatures during the day were in the 40's and in the evening they were in the low 30's. We turned the heat on, and there was no heat. As we pulled to curtains closed, we noticed the window had a big crack in it, and it was leaking air. I called the hotel desk and they said that they would send maintenance while we went out for dinner. 2 hours later, we were back, and no heat. I called the front desk again. They sent the maintenance guy again who said that he just turned on the heat for our room at some "maintenance" location. He said we would have heat in about 30 minutes. 1 hour passed and it's literally becoming freezing. I went to the hotel desk and they gave me yet another room, so I had to move everything we had already unpacked, back into our suitcases and into yet another room. This room had been cleaned, and when I turned the heat on, I could feel the blower blowing "luke warm" (not hot) air. The room temperature got up to about 65 degrees (even though we set the temperature much higher) and then the heater stopped working (imagine that!). At this point, now that it's after 10pm, we said "the heck with it". We took the pain of a cold room on a 30 degree night. The next day, we went to the event that we needed to attend. We got back to our hotel around 4:30pm. We went to our room and neither of our room keys worked. Once again, we went back down to the lobby (our room was on the 5th floor) and wanted to know why they deactivated our keys, even though we were staying for 2 nights. They just had the deer in the headlights look. The next morning we were happy to leave. I don't think we will stay here anymore, even though I will be in Wisconsin Rapids every year at this time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Scott S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wisconsin Rapids
Sleep Inn And Suites Wisconsin Rapids
Sleep Inn And Suites Wisconsin R...
#3 of 7 in Wisconsin Rapids
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wisconsin Rapids
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wiscons...
#2 of 7 in Wisconsin Rapids
Hampton Inn Plover / Stevens Point
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 5 in Plover

Been to Hotel Mead & Conference Center? Share your experiences!