“We're Baaaaaack ! (and saw little improvement)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Mead & Conference Center

Hotel Mead & Conference Center
“We're Baaaaaack ! (and saw little improvement)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

My first review of Hotel Mead was Sep. 2011. We just returned on July 27-30, 2012 to visit family again. Management had said they would address our complaints so we were curious to see if there were any improvements. Pulling up to the main entrance we were greated by a multitude of swarming bugs attracted to the lighting. Holding our breath and swatting furiously we made it through the doors. This issued should be addressed. We checked in and began to see that it was obvious that no upgrades had been made and preventative maintenance was at a standstill. This time we chose a room in the "tower". At first I thought the room was clean and acceptable, however, with a closer look I discovered that the toilet bowl looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. This wasn't the case, it was cleaned, but it had the most disgusting grey stains all over the bowl that looked to be permanent. Not a good first impression. This is such an obvious turn off that I feel the toilet should have been replaced long ago. A perfect example of neglecting to constantly assess the condition of the rooms and replace or repair on a regular basis. Again, the air conditioning unit was hard to control so my DIY husband decided to lift off the grate and turn the direction of the air to the window. He was shocked at what he saw. In fact he told me not to look, that I wouldn't want to see the thick layer of dust and other air particles that had collected inside on the filter.It was in dire need of a cleaning or replacement. We were sorry to discover what we would be breathing in for the next three days. I have to say that the front desk staff and our server in the restaurant were both very friendly and efficient. In fact, our server was outstanding (I wish I could remember her name). The food was slightly better, although the pizza crust was still soggy and our server also warned us that the kitchen was very busy and we might have a bit of a wait for our food. She was right. On Friday night there was a live band outside in the courtyard - a nice touch on a summer evening. We continued to fight through the bugs at the entrance every night and were greeted in the mornings with a carpet that was literally covered with dead ones. There couldn't have been any regular cleaning of the entry going on. So I'm sorry to say it but for our next visit we will be staying in a hotel on 8th street. 22 years of memories has ended on a disappointing note.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Deb S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed two nights. Friday night the outdoor band provided good entertainment. Everything convenient. Bar and restaurant in hotel. Friendly staff. Clean and comfortable room. Good place to stay. Would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Wisconsin Rapids.

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We were in Rapids to visit family. We got a deluxe room ($112 incl tax) fri 7/27 . The deluxe rooms have fridges. I made the reservation by phone, keeping my confirmation number, as another reviewer had said they should have to avoid problems claiming my room. Not only was there no problem, we called at about 8pm when we found we would be arriving at a late hour, about 10:00. The lady on the phone just replied "I will be here to take care of you". We arrived at 9:30, checked in and had a few wisconsin microbrews while we waited for the 14" supreme pizza ('roni, peppers, onion, mush, etc) we ordered at the hotel bar since the restaurant closed at 9 as did probably everyone in town serving food. Bar kitchen closes at 10pm. The bartender Jason (Jordan?) was attentive and friendly, the (wood fired) pizza quite good, a whole grain crust would have been nice in my opinion.

I could see nothing that was out of date in the lobbies, halls or bar. All very nice (and new, well maintained) furnishings, etc. Our room had the air cranked when we arrived (too much for us, we will mention next time to leave air low/off).

The bathroom and shower were clean, good water pressure. There is a sink in the bathroom and a second one outside bathroom. A telescoping mirror in the bathroom to see behind you and a iron and board in the clothes closet. There were towels and a bar of each face and body soap, but no other toiletries provided, we wouldn't have used them anyway. Maybe you can get complimentary ones if you ask.

The furniture, paint, curtains, bedding, were all very new, the beds comfortable, the room and halls quiet. There was a desk in the room to work at and a fridge and a few clothes drawers in the armoire/TV cabinet..

The only thing I would have used that wasn't there was something to write with. I was going to go get something at the front desk, but right then we were ready to leave, so I just used one from the car.

All in all, a good experience. I dont want people stumbling over themselves to please me with fake smiles, smoke and mirrors, as is becoming the norm in the service industry. I wanted to stay at Hotel Mead because it's longevity in the community and not being a chain. Didn't want cookie cutter. It doesn't take a big chain to provide sophisticated accommodations.

Room Tip: If you want a fridge, get a deluxe room. We were in the west wing. I have read somewhere here tha...
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I wasn't very please with my visit. I reserved my room on-line and needed to make changes, When I called, I was told that I needed to to this on-line. After some time, I did find where I needed to make the changes. When we arrived, they didn't have my changes and was told that the on-line and the in-house reservation system did not work together. Then we were told we had double beds!
When we got to our room, there was an empty bad of food sitting there from who? the previous guest or the people that clean? Gross! My kids were really grossed out!
This is a nice property and with some updating, it could be so much better!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rose F
Angela V, Front Office Manager at Hotel Mead & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Hotel Mead. My sincere apology for the stay you experienced. This certainly is not the experience we want for our guests. We have researched the items in your posting and have taken immediate steps to address them so they do not happen again. We are truly sorry for the issues that made your stay less then perfect . We hope you will consider staying with us again as we continue to make changes positively affecting the guest experience at the hotel. We confidently look forward to your next stay with us and welcome your comments for continued improvement.
Rockford, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed 2 nights with dtr and granddtr. "I need your card" were the first words I heard at the check-in desk. Also was not informed of additional "hold" charges that would show up on my account, supposedly to be taken off at some point (I hope). Breakfast waitress was slow, overwhelmed (she was the only waitress). Rooms need updating and bed was not comfortable. The hotel was quiet, though, and that is always a plus. Pool area is nice and clean. We did encounter some staff who seemed interested in making our stay a memorable one. Excellent waiter at dinner on 7/14. There was little to do in the area. We did visit the grotto and cheese shop in Rudolph, though, and were pleasantly surprised. All in all, it was a place to stay so that we could get together and visit somewhere in the middle of where each of us live. To be a successful business (in this economy especially) the customer has to walk away with an exceptional experience; not an average or OK one. I probably won't be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JJMmom
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

This hotel has a very good restaurant with reasonable prices and wonderful Italian cuisine and fabulous specialty pizzas.
Our first assigned room was okay at first glance but the beds are only full sized! I thought okay, let's give it a try so I laid down and my feet hung off of the bed! I called down to the front desk and the very helpful person there let me upgrade to a king sized room for not a lot more and it was perfect. Some of the furnishings are getting pretty worn but overall this is a nice place to stay.
So, if you are tall upgrade to the king room because they do not have queen beds in this hotel. Nice room, great Italian food, nice atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kristasmom
We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience at Hotel Mead via TripAdvisor. Our managers and associates are always and receptive to comments form our guests both Kudos and suggestions for improvement. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to have you visit us again soon.
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

No complaints. Clean, bar and restaurants were good and not over priced, friendly staff. Beds comfortable. Still have the older TV's but not a big deal. Free Wi-Fi. They had a band both nights we stayed there. Really no reason to have to go some place. Just went to Wi Rapids to get away. Casino less than 30 minutes away. Will plan to come back.

Room Tip: They have pet rooms on the first floor which is nice for those want to take their buddy with them.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank withvalidity
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wisconsin Rapids
Sleep Inn And Suites Wisconsin Rapids
Sleep Inn And Suites Wisconsin R...
#2 of 7 in Wisconsin Rapids
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wisconsin Rapids
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wiscons...
#3 of 7 in Wisconsin Rapids
The Fern Hotel
The Fern Hotel
#4 of 7 in Wisconsin Rapids
Hampton Inn Plover / Stevens Point
BEST WESTERN Plover Hotel & Conference Center
Hotel Marshfield, BW Premier Collection

Been to Hotel Mead & Conference Center? Share your experiences!