“I'm heartbroken that our #1 choice for the last 20 yrs. has declined to this point.”

Hotel Mead & Conference Center
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I was born and raised in Rapids, moved away 20 yrs. ago and have stayed here EVERY time we come back to visit family. In fact, many years ago I worked in this hotel. It was always the premier place to stay in town, host a wedding or event, or go for a special dinner occasion. It has declined dramatically just in the last year or two. We asked for a west wing suite knowing there was an extra separate sitting room with sofa bed and TV for our grandson. But, NO TV. I don't understand the logic behind removing this TV from the room. Who sits on a sofa to stare at a blank wall? Why was it taken out? The air unit was SO LOUD, it kicked in to blow out arctic air that froze us, then turned off and the room was hot and stuffy. I finally turned it off entirely at 4:00 a.m. to get a couple hours sleep. My son and wife had the same experience in their room. The bed mattress was old, soft, and very low to the floor making for a sore back in the morning. Not the Mead's usual standard. The bathroom was not cleaned well and one of the glasses was dirty. One of the two restaurants was permanently closed down. The usual great meal at Cafe Mulino was a huge disappointment. There was only one other party there besides my family so there should have been excellent service and food. Salad had been pre-dressed so lettuce was all wilted. Pizza was still good but my pasta dish was average at best, pasta was dried out like it also had been plated and left standing. Pool water was cloudy and we were told we had to leave at 11 p.m. - even though we were drying off and putting on our shoes, obviously leaving on our own. Hotel Mead has for 20 years been our home away from home for regular visits back to see family and I know our next trip will mean finding another place to stay. This is a huge disappointment.

Room Tip: Get a "tower corner suite"
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Deb S
Ben N, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mead & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2011

We appreciate your recent and continued patronage of the Hotel Mead for the past many years and value the observations and thoughts regarding the most recent experience while staying with us. With new ownership and management at the hotel now, efforts are being placed to eliminate the very needs addressed in your review. This review is certainly not the experience we want for our guests. We have already taken prompt action to directly address and remedy the issues mentioned; reviewing our service performance and taking appropriate maintenance action to quiet those air conditioner units found noisy. We’re excited to have the space previously occupied by the Grand Ave Grill now utilized as meeting and conference space to better serve our conference guests. This also allows our Café Mulino team the opportunity to offer great new menu items in an Italian style! Our managers and associates are always open and receptive to comments from our guests both kudos and suggestions for improvement. We hope you will consider staying with us again as we continue to make changes positively affecting the guest experience at the hotel. We confidently look forward to your next stay with us and welcome your comments for continued improvement.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Mead & Conference Center

Reviewed August 2, 2011

My friend was getting married in this one horse town, and I asked him where to stay, he said, "The Mead is nice." So i booked it. What a mistake, they quoted me for a room at one price get there and the bill is almost double what I paid. Whatever, I get to the room, the TV is old and the bed sheets are rough and look like they haven't been updated since the 70s. i think for damn near $200 a night at a "nice" hotel in a small town i would get a breakfast included right? Wrong. They charge me for that. Screw this place.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you get a gaurantee in writing your rate is sub $80 cuz that is what this...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank AdamTheKiller
Reviewed December 23, 2010

Overall the hotel was just fine for the price. Nothing special, nothing atrocious. The only thing below average was the food.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I have stayed at the Mead over 10 times..over the past years, and always it has been a pleasure...I have never felt anything besides important. The staff, hotel layout, food and more has been terrific. I liked the energy in the guests also. The morning apple, and newspaper at front desk was always a good way to start the day! I have been there during Christmas, Easter, and other times. Always a pleasure..Best high end hotel in area. They aim to please. any complaints, a manager would take care of it..right away...small town hotel, big business...Thank you! What could be better??

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank starhotelFlorida
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Probably the nicest hotel in town. I stayed here twice, both times with special rates of around $60. (They are willing to arrange special rates for conferences or funerals or festivals). The pool area is nice. The in-room heater makes a huge noise but worked fine. They have a restaurant, so no free breakfast (and your morning orange juice costs $3.50 at the restaurant). There is a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room.

Tanya at the desk was not very friendly when our reservation had been mislabeled by Ben but she finally found it (so take your confirmation number!). No luggage carts were available when we wanted one.
I liked 2 sinks (one in the shower/toilet section and one outside that). The sink faucet had grime around the front edge of it (I am picky about cleanliness). Instead of providing little shampoo bottles, they have a European-style dispenser in the tub/shower.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cyber_Lana
Reviewed November 20, 2010

My husband, daughter and I stayed here while house hunting in Wisconsin Rapids. It was my first time to the area. I thought the hotel looked dark and needed a major renovation. The room was a decent size. The bathroom was less than desirable. We requested a crib for my daughter (13 months) and it looked like it was from the 70's. She refused to sleep in it. We had dinner at the Italian restaurant downstairs and the food was average. It certainly was not anything special.

We moved to the area permanently and I like it here, but this hotel is certainly not anything special. I guess that in a very small town there will not be many options as to where to stay. I am not sure I would recommend for friends or family to stay here while visiting us.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank PhillytoVegas
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I traveled to Wisconsin Rapids on business and stayed at Hotel Mead for several nights in May 2010.

Pros: Reasonably nice building and rooms more or less in line with some higher-end hotels in larger cities, so was the customer service (reception, cleaning, restaurants, etc.). Tastefully decorated and tidily maintained lobbies and restaurants (for a small town hotel). Also wireless connection throughout the building. Largely suits business travelers, though families may also find it comfy.

Cons: Centrally located, which otherwise would have been a big pro for many other hotels, but in this case has turned out a hugh con. The hotel is indeed smack in downtown Wisconsin Rapids, but the problem is that it's close to almost nothing (oh well, maybe a library, if that makes any difference to you). All the restaurants and shops are way beyond walking distance, which means either you need drive somewhere to eat/shop, or you simply will have to surrender yourself to the hotel services, which in my humble opinion is not all that great after my two tries.

Summary: An average hotel located in a small city which provides pretty much everything you need as a business traveler. For anything else, you will probably have to consider another hotel or simply another town/city.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AHokie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wisconsin Rapids
Sleep Inn And Suites Wisconsin Rapids
Sleep Inn And Suites Wisconsin R...
#3 of 7 in Wisconsin Rapids
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wisconsin Rapids
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wiscons...
#2 of 7 in Wisconsin Rapids
Hampton Inn Plover / Stevens Point
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 5 in Plover

Been to Hotel Mead & Conference Center? Share your experiences!