“Not Spectacular”

Mr Pancake
Ranked #19 of 187 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Michigan
“Not Spectacular”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We went to this place twice. Once the wait was so long that we left and went to Denny's instead. The other time we stayed, but we'd gone at an odd time to avoid the wait--it was almost noon when we had our breakfast. The prices were very high. I dined with just my eight year old son, yet our bill came to over $30--for breakfast??? I had an omelette and he had pigs-in-a-blanket. To have any sides, you have to order them off the menu--they're not included in the meal, so I ordered bacon on the side for my son, and hashbrowns to go with my omelette for me. We also split an order of blueberry blintzes for dessert. He drank apple juice and I drank coffee.

The atmosphere was typical for a family place. It was loud, and the tables were packed so closely together that we could hear everything being said (or yelled) at nearby tables. The waiting area was uncomfortable. There weren't benches or chairs for those waiting--everyone just stood around near the entrance or outside on the steps. (For those who have trouble with steps, there are steps leading to the entrance--I didn't see a ramp anywhere.)

The food was fine. Nothing spectacular, though. The waitress was friendly, but instead of refilling coffee, she brought a plastic container covered with a black sauce cup and put it on the table. I honestly thought it was hot syrup for my son's pancakes. I poured the liquid into the little sauce cup, thankfully, not directly onto his pancakes, before I realized that it was coffee.

There are several breakfast choices in the area. If you want to go to this place, expect a long wait. Each time we drove by, the parking lot was full. While the food was o.k., it doesn't merit this much of a wait, especially when there is so much to do in the Wisconsin Dells. I didn't think it was worth the time to wait for food at such a mediocre place. Also, the parking lot is rather small, so the cars are all jammed together, with very little space for backing up. When we went to leave, I had to wait because people kept walking behind my car. When I finally was able to pull out, getting onto the main road was scary. The sign of the restaurant juts out far enough that it blocks the view to the left somewhat, and since the restaurant is right after a slight curve in the road, this is dangerous. I gave up on turning out left, and ended up just going right and turning around.

Thunder Bay, Canada
“good pancakes”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

very good. large portions and quick service. a tad expensive, but whats not in the dells

Wisconsin
“Long wait & expensive!”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My family ate here on a Monday morning, took one hour from the time we arrived, got seated & finally got our food. Our server was very nice, the food was average & it cost $70 for 5 breakfasts! Will dine elsewhere next time.

Chicago, Illinois
“Ripped off!!!”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We ate at Mr. Pancake this morning. We had a party of 11 ~ 6 adults, 4 children (7 & under) + 1 infant. We waited 30 minutes to be seated in a room filled with stuffed toys for sale - a nightmare for a family with children. We were seated at 2 tables and were not given an other option (2 adults & 1 child at table #1 ~ 4 adults & 3 children + 1 infant at table #2).
After we ate, they gave a bill to each table (we had wanted 1 bill total - but were not consulted). My son-in-laws (1 sat at each table) picked up the bill for their respective tables. After my son-in-law, at table #1, had charged the bill to his credit card, he checked and found that they had added a 15% gratuity to the bill (is this normal for a party of 3?), he had added a 20% gratuity to his credit card; they had also charged for 3 coffees, they had 2 (their 2 year old doesn't drink coffee). He asked for a refund of the 15% gratuity and 3rd coffee, Liz-the owner/manager said she couldn't give a refund because "her books wouldn't balance at the end of the day". My son-in law had the copy of the original bill showing the 3 coffees & $15% gratuity, Liz asked for it back, which he refused, and Liz said she was going to call the police. I asked her if a gratuity was added to the other bill and she said yes (it is inconspicuous at the bottom of the bill). I asked for the $20 cash back from the waitress, which she returned. My son-in-law (at table #2) didn't understand what had happened, and after I had left, he returned and gave the waitress another $20 tip on a $70 bill (50% total tip).
When I was getting into my automobile, I saw a woman, I recognized from the restaurant, with a Mr. Pancake smock on, about 70 years old, with a pen & paper in the parking lot - hiding behind a car - waiting to copy down our automobile license plate when we lowered our minivan hatch. After the threat of calling the police, I wondered if Liz has a relative on the police force ~ we had had enough and just wanted to leave ~ thus the confusion with the tip for table #2. We had a wonderful WI dells vacation before this happened, and after finishing on this sour note I wonder if we should ever return to the Dells.... certainly not to Mr. Pancake!!!! Liz is a psycho!!!! If you go there, check your bill!!!!! My husband has stage 4 cancer - he was very upset by all of this. Liz should be ashamed of herself!!!!!!

5 Thank mamarosa1954
cleveland oh
“odd”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

restaurant did not offer steak, hashbrowns only as main dish

Visited July 2011