“Date Night”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Wisconsin
“Date Night”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We started the evening with a drink in the bar. Bartender brought a bar menu moments after we were seated. We received excellent service from him. My husband had their KC Old Fashion. I'm not typically an Old Fashion drinker, but I always take a sip of my husbands to see if I'll acquire a taste for it or find a way different "recipe" that I'd like. The KC Old Fashion was a really good drink. Pricey mixed drink, but very good.

The only complaint I have regarding the bar area, was one of the waitresses just took a stool from our table. No words were spoken, she just took the stool. She used the stool to stand on, to put glasses up on a shelf near the bar. I feel it would have been appropriate for her to ask if she could take/use the stool. Better yet, she could have used a stool from one of the other cocktail tables where no guests were seated. No words were spoken when she brought the stool back.

We took advantage of their Date Night special, which consisted of soup or salad, 1 appetizer, 2 entrees, 1 side and 1 dessert for $69.

For our appetizer, we selected the potstickers. They were very good and came with a dipping sauce that seemed to be a teriyaki type sauce that may have had some ginger. The sauce had a little zip to it, but I wouldn't consider it spicy.

We both selected the salad, which came in a large bowl on a cart along with multiple items (popcorn shrimp, cheese, onions, tomatoes, banana peppers, eggs, black olives, blue cheese and BACON) that could be added to the salad. The server added all the items to the salad that we both wanted and mixed those items up. We both selected their creamy garlic dressing, so that was added to the salad before it was mixed up. The dressing was not overdone, but if we wanted more dressing, our server left the remainder in a gravy boat. The salad was plated and any additional items that we wanted individually were added to our respective plates.

We both selected the filet, cooked medium, with mushrooms. Very good steak, perfectly cooked, very tasty and very tender. Mushrooms were plentiful.

For our side, we selected the loaded mashed potatoes. OMG....the serving was huge. We hardly put a dent in the pile of potatoes we were served and ended up bring the remainder home. There is easily enough potatoes there for four to six people. These are AWESOME potatoes!!!

For dessert, we selected the tiramisu. YUM!! Again, we had so much food, we ended up bring back the greater portion of the dessert too.

Overall, this was a fabulous meal. I would highly recommend, but I also can acknowledge that the normal pricing is fairly substantial. If you really want to go to Kaminski Bros, watch their website and/or the Shopper Stopper for deals like the Date Night Special.

My last issue to address is the restrooms. I noticed this in the women's and my husband noticed it in the men's as well. The faucet is too close to the sink basin. Individually, they are both nice, but it's a sanitary issue when you're hitting the basin with your hands to get your hands under the faucet.

Will definitely go back, but we can only afford to go when there is a special, such as the Date Night Special.

• Visited March 2014

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Very Lovely Location/Atmosphere”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I've read the previous reviews and find most of them are probably quite accurate. We were there in a party of 2 adults, a six-year-old and a 12 month old baby. Recipe for disaster - but we were trapped in the hotel due to the subzero temps and hungry! We even asked if we met their dress code, if they had one, as neither of us had really planned to dine in anything but pizza places. However, looking around, we needn't have worried. There were offensive t-shirts and baseball caps as usual these days. (In fact, if some reviewers on this site felt they were unfairly judged, for the record, the crowd there on our visit was quite diverse and seemed to be enjoying themselves. Sometimes, if servers can hear you coming with four kids, they can't pretend to be happy. It has happened that kids can spoil other diners enjoyment - so had they given us the "eye" - which we half expected with a baby - we'd have been gracious and said thanks for thinking of your other patrons. Might be us next time!)

We kept our baby very quiet and occupied, even if we had to take him out and let him just look out windows while we waited to be served. We would have left instantly had he become a distraction to the other diners, one of our pet peeves.

We ordered the special dinner for two they offered. The children's menu began at about $12- 13 per entry....a bit pricy for french fries and fried chicken tenders. A nice little fruit salad was also served to the 6-year-old with one thinly sliced strawberry, thin apple slices and the rest pineapple in the dish. Our special included an appetizer, salad, entree and dessert. A very fair price for $69.00, we thought. The presentation of the food was half the fun. I wouldn't rate the taste of the food extremely high - it's ok, served so nicely, non-offensive, but not great. In fact, the manner in which it is served is so lovely I will probably return again. We chose pot-stickers for the appetizer, but they were hopelessly average. They need a really good dipping sauce, -- Big Bowl's spoiled us for that. The lovely salad arrives in one large bowl, but the server offers to individualize your serving from a selection of about eight different choices, from black olives to chopped egg an everything in between. By the time I chose my selections, the salad was HUGE - I could barely dent it. Our entrees (filet mignon) arrived in good time with the potatoes. Now. I've seen "mashed potatoes" before but never like this. The bowl was huge and the potatoes continued upward towards the sky in a mound that had to be 6 inches beyond the sides of the bowl. There was cheddar cheese, melted, chives, sour cream and huge chunks of ham. I'd tell them to SKIP the ham chunks - they detracted from the entree of filet mignon. They're overkill - in fact, lessen those huge portions and let the patron select indivdual portions of the extra condiments. The entree was acceptable, but neither of us really cared if we finished....it was average. The sauce with the fillets was dark and salty with dark mushrooms. Lighten that up. The dessert was excellent tiramasu to perfection.

We loved the rolling carts that brought our food. We loved the graciousness of the staff and their appreciation of our making sure the children were on their best behavior. For some reason, the baby made a HUGE mess on the floor. I thought he was eating all that nice bread we were served but apparently he was tucking it somewhere so it fell in a great shower on the floor - we apologized sincerely. I'd have even tried to help clean it up but they insisted.

So, Kaminskis is great. I'll order something else next time and I will surmise from the atmosphere and it's ratings that it will not be cheap. Will I bring kiddies again? Probably not - it was a lot of work to make sure they were well-behaved that late in the day after a waterpark experience, but in spite of it all, we loved the service and atmosphere more than anything!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank squirt5
Geneva, Illinois
“3 stars priced like 5”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

It's not that kamnski's is bad. They start with a great salad custom made at your table and the views are very nice. They dress the waiters up like you're dining at Gibson's in Chicago. Then they charge you higher prices than Gibson's. And like I said the foods good but no where near great. They claim prime grade steaks but ours came with a tremendous amount of fat and gristle. Their claim to fame appears to be portion size so I'm assuming they don't trim their steaks in order to claim larger size. Both of our steaks had to be sent back as we ordered medium rare and got cold in the center. Not a big deal. Sent them back and they were good once you got to the meat. Probably won't go back on a weekend. Staff is great and very nice ambiance. Haven't tried double cut at kalahari yet, but kaminski's is probably a step below fields at wilderness lodge. On the plus side kaminski's offers a 2 for 70 dollar deal midweek. That's about half what you'll pay on the weekend. So give this review another star Sunday thru Thursday.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank chadp01
Neenah, Wisconsin
“Don't believe the negative reviews...”
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten at Kaminskis 6 times over the last 3 years. We never had a bad experience. I noticed almost all the "terrible" reviews are 3+ years old. The only real recent "terrible" review (Jan (2014) was from a person claiming he was treated rudely because of his skin color. It sounds like they are perpetually offended. The staff has always been nice, even when we've had our daughter's birthday dinner there (imagine 4 teenage girls giggling). We would put Kaminski's steaks up against our two favorite steakhouses in Vegas. Craftsteak by Tom Colicchio in the MGM and Delmonico by Emeril Lagasse in the Venetian. Yes it is pricey, but the portions are large and the food is phenomenal. It's not a place you go to every month but it's worth visiting when you stay at the Chula Vista or are in the Dells.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank schamk
“A night to remember”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My name is Roberta and was celebrating my birthday, it was my first time to eat at Kaminski's Chop House. We were treated like royalty and had a amazing dinner, Our waiter was wonderful and she cheerful and explained all of the choices of steaks and made it her goal to make us feel like we were her only customers.I thanked all of you but hope you know that you made my 70 th birthday one I will never forget, did I mention the violinist that played "Happy Birthday" Thank You All I will be back again, Roberta, North Port, Florida

• Visited January 2014