“Very cool place”

Ranked #19 of 191 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Originally constructed in 1850, the Delton Academy was a one room Baptist Boys Schoolhouse. In 1865, it became the Delton Methodist Church. In 1894, the church was expanded and the entryway and side room additions were built. What was originally the entrance was replaced with the G.A.R. stained glass window and the bell tower was added. During this period it was also used as the G.A.R. Hall. The Grand Army of the Republic was the Civil War version of the V.F.W. for the Union army. In 1868, General Order #11 of the G.A.R. called for May 30th to be designated as the day of memorial for Union veterans; originally called "Decoration Day", it later evolved into the U.S. national Memorial Day holiday. The G.A.R. was also active in pension legislation, establishing retirement homes for soldiers, and many other areas which concerned Union veterans. The influence of the G.A.R. led to the creation of the Old Soldiers' Homes of the late 19th century, which evolved into the current United States Department of Veterans Affairs. The back room, bathroom and kitchen addition was added sometime in the 1950's. In the 1970's, the building was then purchased by a group of local residents and it became the Old Delton Academy Antique Mall. In the spring of 2007, the building underwent a revamping and became what it is today; the oldest public building in southwest Wisconsin and home of the Brat House Grill. The building still retains it's original wood floor, wainscoting and window frames. It's remarkable what great shape the building is in after it's extensive and varied history.
Reviewed May 27, 2008

While in the Dells my husband and I went to the Brat house twice. Once we carried out dinner, and the second we went in for drinks and snacks. The food was very good for the price and the beer prices weren't bad either. I like more upbeat bars and my husband for more for low key, so this fit us perfectly. It was nice to sit and be able to talk to each other while listening to great music and he got to watch his NASCAR on the big screen. We even got a pitcher of honey weiss for $5! I'm not much of a beer drinker, but they had pleny of Mike's, Bacardi Silver and Smirnoff for me to drink. The staff was great and tended to us very well. We will definately go back when we visit the dells again. Whats cooler than drinkin beer in an old church anyway!?

Reviewed May 13, 2008

I am a local and had never been inside the building where Brat House is located. The bar is really nice and the staff was very friendly. The food is very good and the prices are really reasonable for the area! We were there for $1 Taco Tuesdays. They have a choice of beef or fish, and you can pick hard or soft shells. They were very good!! We will definately be back, I love finding great local restaurants that have not succumb to being in a vacation area!! Too many places in this town have become overpriced with mediocre food and service. Glad to find a new a refreshing spot in the Dells!!

1  Thank JAHwd
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We've been to the Brat House Grill twice now in the past couple months. The food is good and the portions are generous. Priced are ok - I think we paid around $30 for our family of four. Tables and bathrooms were clean both times. Service is a bit slow and on our last visit, the waitress wasn't able to answer our questions about items on the menu. She was friendly though and we left full and happy just as we had the time before.

Reviewed March 21, 2008

Was in there on a friday night and the DJ provided music was so out of place I left I a full pitcher of beer on the bar in my haste to vacate the aural assault.

Reviewed March 16, 2008

The staff and service is excellent. The bar is charming, and I appreciated that I could quickly check my email while I was there.
It looks like an old church, and has a HUGE television, which had the UFC pay per view fight on. The place serves only beer and wine, which is all we care to drink anyway! We did not eat, but those around us, that were eating had very large baskets overflowing with food! We loved the place!