“Sloooooow service”

Ranked #23 of 191 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Originally constructed in 1850, the Delton Academy was a one room Baptist Boys Schoolhouse. In 1865, it became the Delton Methodist Church. In 1894, the church was expanded and the entryway and side room additions were built. What was originally the entrance was replaced with the G.A.R. stained glass window and the bell tower was added. During this period it was also used as the G.A.R. Hall. The Grand Army of the Republic was the Civil War version of the V.F.W. for the Union army. In 1868, General Order #11 of the G.A.R. called for May 30th to be designated as the day of memorial for Union veterans; originally called "Decoration Day", it later evolved into the U.S. national Memorial Day holiday. The G.A.R. was also active in pension legislation, establishing retirement homes for soldiers, and many other areas which concerned Union veterans. The influence of the G.A.R. led to the creation of the Old Soldiers' Homes of the late 19th century, which evolved into the current United States Department of Veterans Affairs. The back room, bathroom and kitchen addition was added sometime in the 1950's. In the 1970's, the building was then purchased by a group of local residents and it became the Old Delton Academy Antique Mall. In the spring of 2007, the building underwent a revamping and became what it is today; the oldest public building in southwest Wisconsin and home of the Brat House Grill. The building still retains it's original wood floor, wainscoting and window frames. It's remarkable what great shape the building is in after it's extensive and varied history.
Reviewed June 14, 2013

the food was ok, but service was sloooow, over an hour to get 3 brats and chips. We went in at about 6:30 hoping to get a quick bite before our trip back to Chicago, I thought "how long can it take to get a brat. When we went in only 1 other table was occupied and a few people at the bar (there were 3 more tables in the back with people). Waitress came over pretty quick and took our soda order, took about 10 minutes for the other waitress to come over (they were the only 2 people we saw, and they were literally running around) I made a comment about her taking a break, she said she didn't have time to talk as she had 5 other tables to wait on. We should have left right then, her attitude was terrible, but we ordered. It took 45 minutes to get our food, I wanted to leave a few times but my wife said to wait. I mean how long does it take to grill a brat and throw some chips on a plate. the food was decent but the service was horrible, they need to hire more people because the two ladies there were really overworked.

There are newer reviews for Brat House Grill

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Don't go here if you have tickets for a show. The service was slow. Took close to an hour for the food to arrive after we had ordered. The food only came when I checked about canceling our order because we had a show to get to. The food is okay, nothing spectacular. They do have a nice big screen for watching games.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Yummy! A little run down and seemed short staffed mid-week, but their friendlyness and food more than made up for dingyness.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have been coming to the Dells on a regular basis (10-15 times a year or so) and for some reason we have never stopped in here. I guess I just didn't know what to expect and we just kept giving it a skip.

This past weekend, trying to think of a "new" place to try for lunch, I suggested we give it a try. (They had me at Cucumber Mojitos, which was on their outdoor sign). "What is the worse" I said. We walked in and immediately were impressed. What a cute little spot! It's a bar/restaurant setting with quite a large bar actually, and several TV screens (one which is HUGE behind the bar).

I loved the uniqueness of the fact it used to be a church (there is some history to the place). It was really very charming. The cucumber mojito was good and strong! We ordered some chicken wings, which were actually more like spicy nuggets. I had the shredded pork with the chipotle bbq sauce (OK, it should have been a bit more spicy, but still was good). Hubby had the BLT which was good, but not fantastic, he said. The soup of the day was a southwestern sausage, and that did have a fun kick to it.

Weather wasn't very good, but when it is, they have a nice outdoor seating area. I would love to take advantage of that with a drink and an appetizer one of these days.

We loved our new find so much, we stopped back in the next day. I had to get another mojito, and we stayed to watch the Brewer game. Service and all around feel was small town, which is refreshing after so many of the larger chain places one seems to find themselves eating/drinking at. We look forward to many return visits.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stop here whenever we are in the Dells. Tried the blackbean burger. Awesome! Husband had the beer cheese brat. Service is a bit long but we had drinks right away. If you like a solid lunch this is the spot!