“A lot of flash, without much substance”

Ripley's Believe It or Not Wisconsin Dells
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the world's oddities at Ripley's Believe It or Not in the Wisconsin Dells. Featuring three floors with 11 amazing galleries, you will experience puzzling illusions as you examine the large eclectic collection of odd and interesting things you will never see anywhere else.
Iowa
241 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 520 helpful votes
“A lot of flash, without much substance”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I took our three kids (ages 10,10,8) to Ripley's a few days ago when we were visiting the Dells. I had gone before, years ago when I was a kid. I don't think it has changed much since then. It cost our family of five over sixty bucks, and we were through the whole place in about forty minutes--and that includes going back to look at a few rooms.

If you are looking for a "real" museum experience, you might be disappointed here. Most of the items in Ripley's are reproductions. And, of course, you wonder how much of it is fact and how much fiction.

There are few neat exhibits: the shrunken heads, and the part where you can go through a fireplace and up a "secret" set of stairs (we wouldn't have noticed this if another guest hadn't pointed it out). Also, my kids really liked the short swinging bridge you have to walk over. They also loved towards the end, where there are four or five rooms with a (somewhat) hidden button you push, and something happens. We actually ended up going back to a few of the rooms since we didn't realize you could push the buttons until the next to last room (again, another guest had to clue us in).

In short, this is a place that school aged kids, teens, and young adults will probably find fun and interesting. Parents will probably not appreciate the high cost for the short amount of time. Adults may also not like the cheesiness and fakeness of the place. I would not recommend this attraction for kids under the age of 5 or 6, due to the subject matter of a few of the exhibits and because much of the "museum" would possibly bore a toddler/preschooler.

Visited September 2012

• Turkish first
Waunakee, Wisconsin
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Creepy Fun!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My son LOVES going here.Take the camera to get some great pics.And look in the fireplace there's a secret staircase in it,but the railing in the middle is a little loose.Geat place to see weird and cool stuff.Always like going.

1 Thank Amy R
Northern Illinois
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Reminded me of Old Fashioned Side Show at the Circus”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

It was an interesting way to spend an evening! It was pretty expensive to take a whole family, but we were a group of 4 grown ups so the price was not out of reach. If you have never been before, it is one of those places you probably should experience. Expect to do some reading, because you won't get the full effect unless you read what each exhibit is. If you have read or looked through the Ripley's books the things you read will be like the captions under the pictures. The reading isn't long. You really will see the shrunken heads and the 3 horned goat.

Frozen Tundra
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Unique & Interesting”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was our first ever visit to a Ripley's. Unique items to view and read about. I personally enjoyed the original artwork to start my self-guided tour and reading about the first Dracula. The money man at the front counter was friendly and offered information without us asking...I always like that. Can you take video? No. Can you take pictures? Yes, unlimited. Is there a time limit? No. Is this all on one level? No, two levels by way of a spiral staircase. We spent about 90 minutes inside, but I did watch one ten minute video about Ripley that was informative. There are other video stations throughout the exhibit, but didn't take the time to watch them. This was a family outing (young teens) and they really enjoyed seeing the wierd things inside. I ended up taking the tour alone, because I like to read about what I'm seeing. Overall a good thing to do, but once was probably enough.

2 Thank msnctydawn
Wrenshall, Minnesota
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Neat experience if you've never gone before!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

This place (any Ripley's location) is great if you have never been before. I've actually been to a couple locations now to bring miscellaneous family members. For me, it's now getting a little old. But, not to take away from the experience, this place is full of oddities and the unusual. It was my 8 & 10 year old daughters first time and they both said it was awesome. I had fun talking about various oddities to them. It was a great and fun family place to see. Make sure to get your discount tickets in various Dells magazines. The $2.00 off puts the price right where its well worth it, everyone should find this place of interest!