“Great break from waterparks w/ 2 little girls”
Review of Dells Army Ducks

Dells Army Ducks
Book In Advance
More Info
$30.00*
and up
Wisconsin Dells 1 Hour Land & Water Duck Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore our wilderness, it's alive with sandstone rock formations, evergreens, dark grottos and plenty of fresh air to liven the mind and spirit and make everyone feel good. For over 50 years amphibious DUCKS have been the most unique means of touring Wisconsin Dells' famous rock formations. Dells Army Ducks depart every 15-20 minutes daily for a one hour tour. All tours are guided through Dells Glacial Park exposing you up close to one-of-a-kind rock formations.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

So our tour guide, James explained that the difference btw this and the original ducks is that Army is 70/30 water/land and original is reverse. For what it's worth, and without having taken the original duck, it was 70/30 water/land. School bus-style seats w/ no seatbelts, and it gets a little bumpy. Glad I had the 18 mo. old in a Baby Bjorn for fear of dropping her. Also, on that note, if you have a kid who won't sit still for an hour, maybe this isn't the tour for you. Because like the last reviewer said, it's slow on the water, and they spend that time talking about the river and surrounding area. James did give a little bio about himself at the end, but that was combined w/ a Q&A session about the boats, dells, whatever. And a tour guide should always be tipped, so I fully expected to give him something, and we got some cheezy postcards in return, so score! Truthfully, I could've lived w/out the bio (you're a doll, James, but really I don't care.) A "tips accepted" sign would've sufficed, but he was funny and friendly and it was a nice break in the day. Pick up a wisconsin dells tourist brochure at any hotel or restaurant and there's a coupon in there for like $6 off. It was cold, and they had Army style blankets for those that wanted them (cute touch!) Nice little concession stand before you board, and the waiting area was very nice.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Let me start off by saying I intended to do the original ducks, but didn't go far enough down the road and figured "close enough" haha. It is a little more expensive than the original ducks from what I saw online, but only a few extra dollars so I wasn't going to turn around.

You may have to wait a bit to get a full duck, but it shouldn't be too long of a wait. From there one of the guides will welcome you onto the boat and you're off! Be ready for corny jokes though, because there will be a lot.

One thing you don't know going into it is how slow they go in the water. If you want to go anything over 5mph, then pick the jet boats. It is a nice relaxing 1 hour trip though and you do get to see a wide selection of the lakes and their many unique features.

My trip ended with us stopping just short of the main station and being asked to donate $3 for either a duck call or a postcard packet, with the money going as a tip to our driver, who awkwardly spent 5 minutes explaining his back story and asking for tips. It was very very uncomfortable.

If you've got the time I definitely say it's a fun experience, but maybe the original ducks or jet boat are a better use of that time.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Went on the Army Ducks about 15 years ago when my son was in preschool. Went this time because it was part of a package deal for the zipline tour. Trevor did a good job with our tour even though he hasn't been a duck driver for long. I love hearing the history of our beautiful state and getting to see the natural wonders up close. Don't like the tip reminders at the end of every activity (not just the Ducks) but be prepared to tip. These guys and gals work hard for what little pay they get and deserve it.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

There is no shortage of "Ducks" experiences available in the Dells, and most repeat visitors will tell you they're all basically the same. You get on an amphibious vehicle, do some land driving and some water riding and hear some cheesy, but family-friendly and good-natured jokes throughout.

Army Ducks was that experience and it was one I'd repeat. Our family was here for a reunion and we had six adults and three kids - ages 6, 4 and under 1. The two older kids really enjoyed it, and our guide, Trae, let all the kids on the Duck come and steer it when we were on the lake. Everyone on the ride appreciated that and all the kids on the Duck enjoyed it.

The adults all enjoyed a nice ride and the pretty scenery. We saw a deer and a bald eagle and our guide was good at explaining all the different parts of the lake, river, dalles, and the area in general.

Like everything else in the Dells area, there is a bit of a tourist "sell" with the photo you take before the ride, but it's not a hard sell like some of the other places. The guides DO work for tips (something I expected going into it), so please keep that in mind. They're willing to answer your questions and in the case of Army Ducks, for a tip you can get a couple of small souvenir options if you want.

The whole tour takes about an hour and it's a nice break from the constant "Dells Scenery" of chain restaurants, gaudy lights, and constant water park action. I'd definitely go again on my own or with the family.

TIP: The front row has great views but tight fit for longer legs and you'll be out in the sun. Choose a row or two back for a little more room and some shade. Not a bad view from any seat!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was our first time on the Ducks and it was a good way to have a little tour of the area and the scenery. The ride was a bit slower in speed than we expected, but it was enjoyable (except for a number of small children that weren't really all that interested in being there). Our tour guide Gabriel was knowledgeable and funny (and he had a tough crowd to work with :). Just a little awkward at the end with the pitch on the postcard packs and duck whistles for sale...