“Interesting but way too short”

Museum of Historic Torture Devices
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum of Historic Torture Devices provides a look into the darkest chapters in human history. View several torture devices and descriptions of the barbaric ways they were used. Admission also includes access to the special exhibit: John Wayne Gacy- "Torture King of Chicago". The Museum of Historic Torture Devices is located in Downtown Wisconsin Dells. Open daily mid-June through Labor Day and weekends only in Spring & Fall.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I walked through the Torture Museum while the rest of the family did Wizard Quest. It cost me $8 or $9 to get in.

The museum is teeny tiny. It's really just one room with barricades put up to section everything off. Most of it is reading placards on the wall, but there's also a few actual exhibits of the torture devices. Some of the exhibits include an electric chair, a mock iron maiden, a guillotine. There's also a small theater showing a movie. I skipped the movie since I thought the displays were gruesome enough.

I was surprised by the amount of young kids (under the age of 6/7) I saw in the museum. One little girl--looked to be about 5--was even watching the movie, despite a sign that it's not for children or those with a weak stomach. I was glad I didn't bring my own kids (ages 11,11, 9), and I'm normally laid back about that sort of thing.

It took me about thirty minutes to walk through it, and that was with looking at all the exhibits and reading most of the placards. I would recommend this museum only for adults/teens who are into history and/or gruesome/odd things.

1  Thank kren250

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Interesting exhibits of the horrible things humans do to each other. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Definatly not for kids or the squeamish. Took about 45 minutes to walk through and read all of the placards.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Torture Museum is full of old torture devices along with a written description of how it was used. Not for the young or faint of heart. Definitely worth a look if you are interested in that type of thing. Takes about 30 minutes. Friendly staff. Check the website for a coupon.

1  Thank Chelle0422
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited this place and thought we could kill an hour. WRONG!!! It took a whopping 10 mins. and thats only bc I read everything they had. Even though it had a few neat exhibits, I wouldn't go back or recommend this to any of my friends. Wouldve been pissed off at a 2.00 cover, let alone 9.00. Consider yourself warned!!!!!

2  Thank militarymn22
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went here to kill time before the movie. We should have saved our money and continued to walk around. Sure it was interesting to read about the different devices but a lot of the show pieces were not original they were cheap props. That was very disapointing. They also had cheap plastic skeletons in a lot of devices which took away from the authenticity.I would NOT recommend this to anyone!!! It was $9 a person! I wouldn't pay $2 for this one room disaster!!