“High Rock definitely takes the culinary high road!”
Review of High Rock Cafe

High Rock Cafe
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Modern American cuisine with a sense of adventure, High Rock stands out with bold flavors and fresh ingredients. Serving lunch and dinner you can enjoy this local's favorite restaurant, located in the heart of downtown Wisconsin Dells. High Rock Cafe offers casual dining in a contemporary atmosphere. Unique salads, wraps, sandwiches, delicious crab cakes, pastas, steaks, and so much more. Great local micro-brews and wine list, and new specialty craft cocktails. Open daily at 11 am. Visit us during your next vacation or conference!
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“High Rock definitely takes the culinary high road!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

High Rock Restaurant happens to be among the top favorite Wisconsin Dells restaurant for us. Their menu is fresh, far from run of the mill and they take great care to watch what is available seasonally and feature that in their special monthly offerings. Their wine selection pleases many preferences and sitting in the upper area, people watching, is a fun part. (Our group tends to be engaged in some discussion so one of us has to stop and point out a pretty sunset or something unusual happening.) Among my favorites are the Ahi Tuna appetizer and Gilly Goat Cheese. They're both appetizers but they are delicious. Their soups have thought- through-homemade quality so you cannot go wrong by adding a cup of soup to go with your choice. It's not run of the mill pricing but I have never walked out feeling I did not get special attention from the chef's effort. Many restaurants in the Dells do not have a chef - or even an experienced cook who is a foodie at heart so he or she is always thinking of a different twist on a crowd pleaser. Well, High Rock has a chef. A consistent chef who put thought into what kind of restaurant he wanted to create. Try it! If you like goat cheese & garlic, try Gilly Goat Cheese. Just super. By the way, their waitstaff has consistently been informative, well-mannered and helpful on top of being friendly. This is a restaurant locally well-respected and is opened year-round.

• Visited April 2013

Illinois
“Lots to Like, Just Didn't Care for the Food”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Good: 1. Nice waitress; 2. Only a ten minute wait on a Saturday night; 3. Gorgeous cascading lights on the tree outside; 4. Busy, upbeat atmosphere; 5. Good cole slaw; 6. Food was plated beautifully and everything looked appetizing; 7. Fairly reasonable prices; 8. Great location in downtown; 9. Attractive space.
The Bad: 1. The restaurant didn't smell fresh; when I walked in, I wondered if my clothes would have that lingering food odor after sitting here for a while; 2. Neither my husband or myself liked our meals, a salad and a sandwich; maybe we just didn't order the right things; 3. A bad dessert. I am a dessert lover, and this was the only time that I can remember when I took one bite and couldn't eat the rest. We had the Dirt and Worms - chocolate mousse with crushed cookies and gummies, but.... at a nicer restaurant, Chocolate Mousse is not cool whip mixed with Hershey syrup. In all fairness, this dessert is probably aimed at kids and I should have made a different choice.

1 Thank IlliniTrav
Pittsburgh
“Excellent homemade soup”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Best corn chowder I have ever eaten. Came in a large flat bowl, garnished with tortilla strips. Just a bit spicy, we had two spoons and cleaned the bowl. Next came a pasta dish - maybe "harper"? - pasta with grilled chicken and fresh tomatoes in a light, delicately spiced cream sauce. Excellent, and good the next day also (we took leftovers with us). Two of us split the soup and pasta, and took half of the pasta home for the next day - generous servings.

We sat at the counter so we could watch foot traffic. A bit cool when the door was open, but the view was nice. Service was slow - make sure you have plenty of time, to sit and relax.

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Chilly dining experiences”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The last three times I have eaten here, I have been really disappointed in the temperature they keep this restaurant. During the summer, the air conditioning ducts shoot cool air directly down and onto your table. I have been avoiding this restaurant during the summer because of this. We went back this October, thinking the temperature in the restaurant might be better during the heating season. No such luck. My husband, daughter and I froze while we waited (a long time, unfortunately) for our food. In anticipation, I was wearing lots of layers of clothing and a warm jacket, and brought along a hot pad to sit on, that I microwaved before leaving home. I even brought a headband. Unfortunately, all three of us were abnormally cold, and my daughter (who had on a thick hoodie), ended up wrapping up in my husband's jacket, so then he was cold, too. It is hard to eat wearing layers of clothing and puffy jackets. The food gets cold faster, too. We were not the only ones who felt this way, as two people at a table across from us had their hoods up while they ate, and others had jackets on, too. I really like most of the food here, but I wish they would notice their customers are keeping their jackets on,and bump up the thermostat a degree or two. (By the way, we made a comment to the server, who ignored it). I would actually rather go to a warmer restaurant with food of lesser quality, than be so cold.

• Visited October 2013
HighRockGM, General Manager at High Rock Cafe, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Heather,
Thank you for your reviews and your continued patronage to our establishment. Let me be the first to apologize to you for the temperature of our restaurant during your time with us. We have a rather drafty restaurant when the seasons change and we should have turned up the heat sooner rather than later. Your comfort is one of our top priorities and I assure you on your next visit you will notice the problems been fixed. Once again Thank you for the feedback as it helps us get better and thank you for making High Rock" your place to take guests". We look forward to seeing you soon.
Cheers!
Columbus, OH
“Unexpected gem”
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for an early dinner after reading other Tripadvisor reviews. Their special menu featured squash. We ordered off the regular menu. We had the potstickers as an appetizer which were yummy. The baked potato soup was average. For entrees we ordered the beet salad with goat cheese and the chicken Waldorf salad that had candied walnuts. The dressing for the Waldorf salad was delicious. The beet salad came dressed with balsamic dressing. I also tried the basil mango margarita...yummy. If we have time we will come back again before we leave town!!

Thank you for the time you took to write such an amazing review of us. It's guests like you and reviews like this that really make this the reason we love serving you. We look forward to seeing again. Cheers!