“Excellent homemade soup”
Review of High Rock Cafe

High Rock Cafe
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Modern American cuisine with a sense of adventure, High Rock stands out with bold flavors and fresh ingredients. Serving lunch and dinner you can enjoy this local's favorite restaurant, located in the heart of downtown Wisconsin Dells. High Rock Cafe offers casual dining in a contemporary atmosphere. Unique salads, wraps, sandwiches, delicious crab cakes, pastas, steaks, and so much more. Great local micro-brews and wine list, and new specialty craft cocktails. Open daily at 11 am. Visit us during your next vacation or conference!
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Best corn chowder I have ever eaten. Came in a large flat bowl, garnished with tortilla strips. Just a bit spicy, we had two spoons and cleaned the bowl. Next came a pasta dish - maybe "harper"? - pasta with grilled chicken and fresh tomatoes in a light, delicately spiced cream sauce. Excellent, and good the next day also (we took leftovers with us). Two of us split the soup and pasta, and took half of the pasta home for the next day - generous servings.

We sat at the counter so we could watch foot traffic. A bit cool when the door was open, but the view was nice. Service was slow - make sure you have plenty of time, to sit and relax.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,627)

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The last three times I have eaten here, I have been really disappointed in the temperature they keep this restaurant. During the summer, the air conditioning ducts shoot cool air directly down and onto your table. I have been avoiding this restaurant during the summer because of this. We went back this October, thinking the temperature in the restaurant might be better during the heating season. No such luck. My husband, daughter and I froze while we waited (a long time, unfortunately) for our food. In anticipation, I was wearing lots of layers of clothing and a warm jacket, and brought along a hot pad to sit on, that I microwaved before leaving home. I even brought a headband. Unfortunately, all three of us were abnormally cold, and my daughter (who had on a thick hoodie), ended up wrapping up in my husband's jacket, so then he was cold, too. It is hard to eat wearing layers of clothing and puffy jackets. The food gets cold faster, too. We were not the only ones who felt this way, as two people at a table across from us had their hoods up while they ate, and others had jackets on, too. I really like most of the food here, but I wish they would notice their customers are keeping their jackets on,and bump up the thermostat a degree or two. (By the way, we made a comment to the server, who ignored it). I would actually rather go to a warmer restaurant with food of lesser quality, than be so cold.

HighRockGM, General Manager at High Rock Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Heather,
Thank you for your reviews and your continued patronage to our establishment. Let me be the first to apologize to you for the temperature of our restaurant during your time with us. We have a rather drafty restaurant when the seasons change and we should have turned up the heat sooner rather than later. Your comfort is one of our top priorities and I assure you on your next visit you will notice the problems been fixed. Once again Thank you for the feedback as it helps us get better and thank you for making High Rock" your place to take guests". We look forward to seeing you soon.
Cheers!

Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for an early dinner after reading other Tripadvisor reviews. Their special menu featured squash. We ordered off the regular menu. We had the potstickers as an appetizer which were yummy. The baked potato soup was average. For entrees we ordered the beet salad with goat cheese and the chicken Waldorf salad that had candied walnuts. The dressing for the Waldorf salad was delicious. The beet salad came dressed with balsamic dressing. I also tried the basil mango margarita...yummy. If we have time we will come back again before we leave town!!

Thank you for the time you took to write such an amazing review of us. It's guests like you and reviews like this that really make this the reason we love serving you. We look forward to seeing again. Cheers!

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We frequently visit High Rock cafe when we are in the Dells. It is a restaurant that is reasonably priced and has great food! They have monthly specials that focus on one food. For example if one month it is an apple they will have an appetizer, entree, dessert with apple in it. Their rasta pasta is delicious and one time we had a meal with the most delicious bleu cheese mashed potatoes ever! Their drinks are a little pricey but other than that I encourage a visit to High Rock.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I happened on High Rock due to a conversation we had with a local Wisconsin Dells police officer. We were in search of a place to watch the Badgers play the Wildcats of Northwestern and asked where to get a good lunch and watch the game. He recommended High Rock. We were absolutely delighted with the food, service and atmosphere. They change their menu every few weeks using seasonal foods. This particular day the ingredient of the day was butternut squash. My husband had a sandwich called a Bumpkin that he described as Thanksgiving in a sandwich. I had a fabulous chicken wrap and the blueberry/raspberry cheesecake was to die for!! Would recommend it highly for anyone.