“Disappointed”

Sundara Spa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sundara Dec. 6 and 7th to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. I am expressing my disappointment in Sundara. Our 20th wedding anniversary was a momentous occasion for us and careful consideration was given to where we wanted to celebrate. Having stayed at Sundara at least five times over the last 6 years I chose to stay with you again. I regret my choice and wish we had chosen The American Club where I have always received five star service. We spent $1000 for two nights in a standard room and three spa services for myself. That is a large amount of money for a weekend stay that was satisfactory but NOT exceptional in any way. Our room was fine, services fine, but only 1 person wished us a happy anniversary , only 1! Had I made a better choice and we stayed in Kohler every service provider would have recognized our special day. There was no welcome note, wine or dessert, which in a previous stay for a friend's 40th birthday at your property we were given all three. We also found your breakfasts to be lacking in taste on Sat. am despite literature claiming everything was homemade. The eggs tasted processed, the juice was poured from a jug and the pastries stale. Sun am things were slightly better. Your year round heated pool was closed part of Sat due to low temps, despite no fine print on your website stating that until that day. Upon checkout the clerk did not credit me the correct amount when I adjusted my gratuities and I had to leave two messages before getting a call back to have things adjusted. I let that person know these same complaints but have heard nothing. Six years ago my first overnight visit to Sundara blew me away. Now I'll be certain to tell others that their money will be better spent at the American Club and Kohler Waters Spa. As a side note this review was sent via email to the GM of Sundara ten days ago & I've not received a response. I'm saddened that this resort has slipped so far in its service.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Pursestolove

Juneau, Wi
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 503 helpful votes
“Spa Virgins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Our 1st time to a spa. We were staying in the Sundara cottages and were told we had free access to the spa and our stay included a cleansing ritual treatment. Well.... it's free and being the cheap smack that I am......Gotta Go !!!! We were greeted with a smile and the procedure was explained to us ...... we were out of our element !!!! Kinda like The Beverly Hillbillies or Duck Dynasty Family. Rub on some special sand ? get in a rain shower ? Spray on some special mist ? into a sauna ?another shower ? hot tub ? cold soak ? We gotta get naked ??? Swim suits ? ....What did we sign up for ?????? Richard came out to help us through our new journey and explained " spa etiquette" He was extremely helpful and made us all feel at ease. We were given robes , our own lockers and changed into our swim suits . We got through the ritual without wrecking any of their equipment and LOVED IT !!!! SUPER RELAXING ....Then into the " Quiet Room " for a little reading , relaxing , coffee , juice , granola ... I even fell asleep . 15 degrees outside ... but we were off to the outdoor hot tub , wodda been in the infinity pool but it was closed for repairs. What a GREAT experience , THANKS to our guardian angel ... Richard . We came back the next night like old pros.... We didn't need no help !!! Now we were like Thurston Howell , Donald Trump or some other uppity millionaires. We Will Be Doing The Spa Thing Again !!!! ps..One of our guests described the feeling of the robes as being " Like a baby angel wrapped in a cloud of cotton candy ". Ya Gotta Think Dats Kinda Cute ... Hey !!!!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank CQtopgun
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Great Massage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I went with girlfriends and we had a great time. Got a 50 minute massage with a fifteen minute add on of a head and scalp massage with oil. It was fantastic but pricey. However we were able to use the pool, hot tub, and tranquility garden. Was a nice treat. Plan to spend some time there.

Visited September 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Lovely Retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We've been to Sundara many times and always enjoy our stay. Honeymoon was our first trip to Sundara and it was fantastic! Unbelievably relaxing and everyone that works on the property is so kind. We try to make it back to Sundara at least once a year. Highly recommend!

Visited October 2012
Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Stay for a day, not for a night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Sundara was clean and I enjoyed the food, what I did not enjoy was the overly enforced silence code and lack of space. My mom and I stayed here for 2 nights. Both days we couldn't get chairs outside because people who came for the day had taken them, even when we went down by 8-9am. If you are staying somewhere for the weekend, there should be enough chairs to enjoy the outdoor amenities. & when you address the issue with a manager, at least pretend to care.
On the way out, we locked our bags (with our keys of course) in our car so we went to the front desk to ask someone to call for road-side. Because the hotel does not have internet (& no cell phones allowed), the front desk apparently did not have the ability to look up the non-emergency police dept number, nor would the employees check their phones, nor did they have a phone book. When we requested a manager, who we could see from the front desk sitting in her office, she told the staff to "ask someone else".
The pool was luxurious, clean, and spacious. As were the spa facilities and spa staff. Most of the staff were wonderful but they acted as if they were being watched at all times. I feel bad for what happens to them if they speak out of script.
Overall, the Sundara Spa is nice for the area but I would recommend only going for a day trip unless it were an off season and you aren't with anyone you want to have conversation with.

Visited August 2013