“Great place to stay for family and large conference”

Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #15 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed December 5, 2009

We had a company conference at this location, which has multiple water parks, and entertainment. Plus nice conference facilities.

The room I got had 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, fireplace (electric - fake - disappointment), and was very roomy.

The construction of the rooms seems cheaper, like walls seems thin, and just did not seem as solid as regular hotels. However; the room was great, and perfect for a family with kids!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed November 27, 2009

I was expecting a nightmare stay at a tourist trap, but this was a pretty decent place. Price was very good with full access to the Wilderness waterparks. By all appearances, it would be really fun in the summer with its own outdoor waterpark. We stayed in a 2 bedroom deluxe. Plenty of room, but a bit of an odd layout as the main bathroom did not have direct access from the living area, only the bedrooms. The room has 1 1/2 baths and 2 separate bedrooms plus a murphy bed in the living area. The main bedroom had a king bed, and the second was a full with a bunk over. The bunk bed could present problems, I think that a hand or foot could have easily hit the sprinkler head in the room and ruined a vacation.
This place is HUGE. I am guessing that there are nearly 1000 rooms in Glacier Canyon in addition to the Wildnerness.
Drawback: It was a long hike from our room (inside) to the waterparks, but there are shuttles that come to the nearest entrance doors. I would much rather be here than in a second floor room in the Wilderness with all the people walking/running to the waterparks past my room.
Recommendation: Given a choice, I would take a top floor room in this resort, closer to the waterparks. Less foot traffic outside, and no toddler sprinters in the room above.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We spent 3 nights in a delux 1 bedroom condo. The condo itself was gorgeous with dining room, full kitchen, living room with fireplace and a master suite. I will say that I did not book this room thru the hotel, but purchased the stay from a co-worker who has a time-share.

The check-in process is a total nightmare. After waiting in line for 20 minutes, I finally was able to talk to a rep. The room was not ready, however. After giving the infod, you are sent to customer service to" get your parking permit". What this really is is an attempt to get you to purchase a time-share. After telling them I would need to discuss it with my spouse.

Since the room was not ready, we went to an adjacent place to have a drink and wait for the call that the room was ready. When they call, I had to stand in the same line again, this time for close to 45 minutes to get the key. This was totally frustrating and a reason I would not purchase a time-share here. The management needs to get this worked out.. The next morning, they called to ask us to meet for an hour or more about purchasing a time-share. I told them we still had not discussed it. We left for breakfast, and when we got back, there was a sign on our door to come to a meeting. Before leaving, I went to the swales office gto ask for info about purchasing a time-share. Of course, they have no printed info, but would gladly spend a hour or so with us to discuss this.

The resort is overwhelming large, and stuff is sprend out over multiple buildings on multiple acres.

We did not use any of the indoor waterparks or game rooms, nor any of the eating places in the resort.

The stay was wonderful, but the service really lacks. (by the way, there is no housekeeping during your stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tim&Bill
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We rented a two bedroom presidential suite condo from a Vacation Club Owner. We were celebrating my son's 4th birthday. We also traveled with our 6 year old son, 12 year old daughter and her 12 year old friend. Check in was pretty easy. Getting to the room - not so much. Elevators were slow and almost non existant. When coming in with luggage for 6 people we defintately needed an elevator, not to mention I was on crutches due to recent knee surgery.

The room was beautiful. We brought food from home to save on eating out and the kitchen was fully equipped. No complaints on the room itself. Plenty of space for everyone. The waterparks, a different story. The walk to any of the water parks was too long - especially for someone on crutches. My husband pushed me on a luggage cart some of the way. There is a shuttle that runs as well, but that took even longer! We used the indoor and outdoor water parks. The weather was nice so mainly the outdoor. Seating was at a premium. Almost impossible to find a table or lawn chairs. Once we got comfy, the water parks were good. Kids had a blast, enjoyed the slides and pools. Again, the downfall is the distance to the room. If we forgot something or wanted to run back for lunch, it was quite the trek. Parking was crazy too so driving to a different part of the resort was not much help. We will be going back in December - we get a great deal on the room through the person we rent from - cannot beat it and the kids love it.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We just returned from a two-night stay at Glacier Canyon and my views on our stay are mixed. We reserved a two-bedroom deluxe room, which we loved. However, I think what stood out most about this entire resort was their lack of customer service … we were never greeted with a smile, polite greeting or positive attitude. The one exception to this was Corey who assisted us with a cabana rental – he was absolutely excellent and reinforced the complete lack of positive customer service received elsewhere in the resort. One other downside to Glacier Canyon was the hard-sell in regard to their time-share/condo purchases. Once you check-in, they send you to "concierge" to get your parking pass – well, concierge is not what most of us would think of – in reality, it's where they first hit you up to try and take their sales tour. It's quite hard-sell and then they even called us the next day to make sure we didn't want to pass up the opportunity of a tour!

All in all, we enjoyed our weekend; however, I don't think we'll go back. The room itself was not enough to make up for the distasteful sales pitches and lack of customer service. I can't imagine there isn't another Dells water park that would be willing to take my hard-earned vacation dollars without forcing a sales pitch on me and would provide me with resort assistance with something more than a blank stare!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2009

We stayed for a three day weekend at the wyndham timeshare resort. We are Wyndham owners, and this is one of the nicest resorts we have stayed at. The resort is about 5 buildings, all conected and part of the wilderness resort complex. You get access to 4 indoor waterparks. The good: resort was excellent, rooms were spacious and clean. The bad, the wilderness waterparks were pretty crowded with their hotel guests . LOTS of little kids and families... If that is what you have...it's perfect. We would have like some adult pools area or at least a separate indoor pool in the wyndham area. STILL a great place. NUMEROUS activities, and resturrants in the area. too many to mention. We will go back,

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stayed in mid September 09. We were very excited to get away. One of the nice things was that it was still 70-80 degrees out and sunny. When we booked the reservation we were told that yes the outdoor waterparks would be open on the weekends if it was nice. Well... when we arrived on Wednesday all the outdoor pools had been drained already for the season. Wilderness has an expansive array of waterparks (3 indoor, 2-3? outdoor). We didn't research the waterparks at the hotels, because everyone knows that the Wilderness has the most square footage of waterparks in the dells - or national for the matter, so we thought it'd be great for us. When we found out that the outdoor waterparks were closed we were very dissapointed, after being misled.

Well.. we moved on. We went to the indoor wave pool waterpark, and then the one adjacent to it (indoor Klondike). Both were nice, but after 2 days they were boring to be honest. We were dissapointed that the Wild West Waterpark wasn't open until Friday. (we checked in Wednesday - checkout on Saturday). This actually seemed to be a nice theme around the resort- things closed. Its one thing if they tell you in advance, or tell you when you make the reservation, that "hey this might be closed if the hotel occupancy is low", but its another to not tell you, or tell you the opposite, only to get their and be disappointed.

Finally, when they did open the Wild West on Friday - it was at 3pm. OK fine, but they closed it at 8pm... wow?? Its closed all week and then they open it for 5 hours on Friday only? And to top that off haha - at 7:45/7:50pm they were blocking off the waterslides and closing them.. jez..

So we went from having about 4-5 potential waterparks on property, most square footage in the US-- to having a waive pool, and 1 indoor park out of a potential 5 on property. Very dissapointed. Again, if they want to do that, (staff shortage, hotel occupancy, etc), fine, I understand it, but don't lie to people, and mislead them when booking their reservations. Otherwise I probably would have looked at say the Kalahari or Chula Vista and to see what amenities and waterparks they had available. (at the end of the trip we did and probably would have stayed elsewhere).

So the waterparks really dissapointed us. Then the buffet in the main lodge was closed the entire stay.. along with a few other things in the main lodge. I guess they were remodeling. Again none of this was told to us.

The zip line was fun. The staff were excellent. Props to this team. They were personable, fun, interactive.

The hotel rooms were great (we had a 2 bedroom). Spacious beautiful room.

Walking - Walking was a bare. Another survey commented that it took 18 minutes to get to one end to another- 18 minutes is alot- and thats if your walking at a good pace. My mother in her 50's is very athletic, but day in and day out exploring things were hard to do for her, and really all of us (I’m in my 20’s). Its a shame that everything is so spread out on property. The days we stayed they had 1 shuttle on the entire property, and we didn't want to have to wait for it so we ended up walking. We certainly got exercise, but I don't think anyone ever imagined it would be this much walking. ... we stayed by the sky-walk back to the main lodge, but if your not near that sky walk in Glacier canyon.. yikes.. .

We ate at Sarentos - food was good / service... hmm.. hard to understand the server as she didnt speak very good english. Others have commented about the lifeguards not doing thier job, and not speaking english, and while their english is poor, a lifegurard isn't their to be your concerige for the resort either.. they are their to watch the kids... and they did that. The rest of the staff at the hotel spoke fine English for the most part.

Cabana rental in the WaterDome waive pool was excellent. TV, wet- bar etc. However.. haha, the sign-in area for it, was closed. So once we finally got to the WaterDome - a long walk in itself, we then were directed to the Main Lodge Front Desk to check-in/sign-in for the cabana. We were supposed to have a private host for it (at least they told us this when we booked), but due to low occupancy they nixed this and we got our things for ourself. It wasn't horrible, it was fine, but at the end of the day they lied to us/misled us about something else again.. dissapointing.

The night club/bar on property (off on the corner of property.. sep building) was nice. However we were told they would have live music on Friday night.. ah yea no they didnt. Otherwise it was spacious, big comfy tables, nice environment.

It just seemed that this whole place, really lacked communication and knowledge. From the original booking with hotel room reservations, - to the front desk. It was dissapointing. We still managed to have a good time, and to get away was great, but we will stay at Kalahai or Chula Vista next time. The staff at those resorts seem to have it together - . Much less we don't have to walk 2 miles to everything (ha). They staff also might want to take 45 seconds and explain the entire resort to guests, instead of just handing them a piece of paper with names and times of areas on it.

If you have a family, small kids etc, - by all means- if you don't mind the walking etc - but beware the place is huge and your probably not going to want to wait 5 years for the shuttle either. It'd be nice to see what the place looks like in summer when everything is open - but the lack of communication im sure will still be there if not worse.

Thanks,