“Nice rooms but LONG walks”

Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, IL
“Nice rooms but LONG walks”
Reviewed May 14, 2009

Our room was very nice, clean, comfortable beds. Nice kitchen and living area. We had a 1 bedroom premium that overlooked a beautiful large wooded area. The waterparks are nice but they are too spread out. It's a very long walk between the 3 indoor waterparks. The staff were mediocre. If you don't mind the walking ( I didn't but my little kids did) I'd recommend this place. It has a couple nice places to eat and a nice indoor play area and aracade for the kids. It is located on a large wooded property that was beautiful.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank familyof5Chicago_IL

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
United States
Reviewed May 4, 2009

The room was great. We had a 2 bedroom. It was large with a full kitchen and comfortable table and living room furniture. Everything was clean and nicely decorated. Bedding was comfortable, bathroom was large. Waterparks were fun and plentiful. The arcade was large and also fun for our 3 year old. The mini golf was very overpriced. We paid over $23 for 2 adults and a 3 yr old... but a family of 4 was only $15, when I pointed this out to the person taking money she said we had to have 4 people to get that rate, which made no sense!!! Before going to this hotel I read many reviews and the thing that I kept reading was "long walk", etc... I thought "oh come on how long can it possibly be?", must be written by people who don't like to walk... Anyway I can't stress enough how long of a walk it was!!! The reviews were correct! We were close to entrance 5 and it literally was over a mile walk, which is okay but very difficult with a pokey 3 yr old. At one point in the walk my husband pointed out that we had to walk past 100 more rooms!!! And the halls seriously felt like a maze. There were signs but not well labeled. They were confusing. The hallways were sloped so you never knew which floor you were on. I read this in reviews prior to going, but again I felt it must have been from direction challenged people or something... I thought how could it be that confusing, well it was! Anyway regardless of the long walks and confusing signage I still felt like the hotel was excellent. The pools were fun. And all was clean. and towels were plentiful. I would return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank OurFamOfFive
Menasha
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Just got back from our week long trip to Glacier Canyon. Our trip began on a Friday. States that check is at 4pm. We got there right at 4pm and ended up waiting until 6pm for our room. They said they were not ready yet. Was very frustrating as we had food and drinks out in our car defrosting because it was sort of nice outside, plus the kids were starving and we could not unpack and had been sitting in a car for over 2 hours to get there. When we Finally got into our 2 bedroom condo, it was very nice. Nicely decorated and all the ammenties that you would want.
The walk to the waterparks are long. Very large place. Make sure you bring stuff to wear over your swim suits for the long walk and comfortable shoes. The place was a mad house though, being spring break. We had to wait sometimes 20 minutes to 30 minutes for a tube to ride some of the waterslides. Very disorganized system in the Klondike waterpark. They have a lazy river and only so many tubes. You have to sit and wait for people to get off the tubes from the lazy river, than carry the tube up the steps to ride the water slides. The towels at the waterparks are like washclothes. Glad we brought our own beach towels along. Food and drinks are way over priced so make sure you bring your own.
At night, we had problems with the people above us. We had a condo on the Lower Level. They must have had 12 kids above us as they would run back and forth and jump up and down until 12:30am every night. Our lights would be rattling on the ceiling. We eventually started calling the front desk to have the settle them down. It would usually work for an hour and than they would start up again, so we would have to call again which usually worked. So front desk did take care of problems for you. Everyone working was friendly. So advise, try not getting a room on Lower level. You will hear everything Beds were very comfortable . . Overall, was as good as expected from a Dells vacation during Spring Break. : )

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank rjk0303Menasha
illinois
Reviewed March 22, 2009

We have been to the Dells many times before and stayed at the Kalahari, Mt. Olympus, Great Wolf and Chula Vista. The room was probably the nicest and most convenient of all with a full kitchen, living room, two bathrooms and two bedrooms. It really helps to prepare some of your own meals as the restaurants can get pricey and they are generally not gourmet to say the least. The room was great, but the waterparks were so-so. The room seemed to be miles away and we got lost a few times on the way to the indoor waterparks because of the confusing layout. If you can get a good deal on the room, give it a try. If not, stay at the Great Wolf or Kalahari.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank ravenne8
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Me, my spouse and our three children, four and under, spent a week (6 nights) at the Glacier Canyon Lodge the last week of August. We chose this week because most kids were getting back to school and prefer smaller crowds. It worked out perfectly since the cost was a little less expensive that week as well.

We booked a two-bedroom deluxe condo. The room was clean and spacious for our family of five. The kitchen was nicely stocked with cups, dishes, cookware and utensils. The bedrooms were comfortable and the living room was clean and modern. We knew going in that housekeeping would only do a complete service of the room on the fourth day of your visit, so we didn't expect the cleaning crew each day to clean and make the beds; bath towels and garbage, however, were serviced each day of our stay. We received a room that overlooked the rear of the property, which gave us a serene view of the forest preserve and horse trails. The grounds were very well maintained and clean. The resort was at about half to three quarters capacity, which seemed jut right as far as being able to get chairs at the indoor and outdoor pools as well as getting on all of the rides. Although it was busy, it was not overcrowded. All the indoor and outdoor pools were open during our entire stay. We cooked all of our meals, with the exception of breakfast, in our room. The local Wal-Mart is about ten minutes away, so it was easy to stock up on food and adult beverages. For breakfast we did the buffet at the Wild Canyon Cafe. The pricing was as expected for a resort and the food was typical of any decent buffet style restaurant. We all enjoyed it and the kids were happy with the choices.

As far as the walking from pool area to pool area we didn't have a problem. We were in building two of the GC Lodge which is two buildings away from the skywalk leading to the main resort area. Everything is clearly marked and signs directed you on where to go. We actually enjoyed the walking. The kids liked the view from the skywalk and it felt to them like crossing a big bridge across the jungle (the area around the skywalk is wooded with a creek that runs through). All of the pool areas were within ten minutes one way or the other, plus we got to explore parts of the resort we wouldn't have otherwise. We ended up finding a small inexpensive pottery painting store in the New Frontier section of the resort, a little past Klondike Kavern, which the kids loved. They painted their pottery (pre-cast designs - many to choose from), which then had to be put in a kiln to be baked, and it was ready the next day for pick up. The kids proudly display their art in their rooms.

Out of all the pools our favorite indoor pool was the Wild Water Dome and our favorite outdoor pool was the Lost World Waterpark, which has the neatest lazy river I have ever seen; it is huge with multi-levels. All of the pool areas were kept at comfortable temperatures, although the indoor pools were humid at times, and provided people of all ages a large variety of things to do and rides to go on. I actullay like the way the Wilderness has everything spread out a little. It gave us something different to look forward to each day.

This was our first stay in the Dells, so we were torn on what resort to book. After looking at the most popular we naroowed our choices down to two, the Kalahari and the Glacier Canyon Lodge. After spending the week in the Dells we were glad of our choice. We did take the time to visit the Kalahari just down the road. It was a nice faciity, but layed out closer and seemed tighter than the Wilderness Properties. The other thing we didn't like about the Kalahari is that it sat right along the highway and had this industrial feel about it. The Glacier Canyon and the Wilderness property felt a little more open and surrounded by nature.

Hopefully this review has been helpful. We are looking forward to returning August of 2009!

The Sundara Spa was gorgeous and relaxing, a bit expensive, but well worth it. I was completely relaxed after my four hour session. I didn't want to leave. They provided a free towncar to pick you up and drop you off bewteen locations, which was a plus.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank SCA-Family
Winter, WI
Reviewed March 17, 2009

My family (2 adults, 5 kids - 17,16,10,9,3) went as a quick get-away before school started. We rented a 2 bedroom deluxe, brought along food for all but one night and we had a wonderful time. All of the kids were excited to get to the resort. Once we did, everyone was ready for some waterpark fun. We unpacked and got settled in and away we went. The two older boys kind of did their own thing. We would meet up with them throughout the day (usually meals and somewhere in one of the parks). They had a great time, lots for them to do. Us and the three younger ones spent most of our time at the Glacier Canyon waterpark. We did make sure that we checked out all of the parks (inside and outside) and all of the rides, but always seemed to end up back at Glacier Canyon. It was just so relaxing to float in the lazy river and we also started having races on Hailey's Comets. In the evening we would spend time in one of the indoor parks or in one of the arcades. All of us really enjoyed our 4 days. We had planned on doing some other activities, but we were so content that we only went downtown one evening for a bit. The 16 year old and the 10 year old were friends of our children and they have asked to come along again and of course the kids are asking if we will go again this year. We were thinking of waiting and going every other year, but I have the itch to head back again this year. It was WONDERFUL!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank tdcoss
Reviewed February 18, 2009

I recently stayed at the Glacier Canyon Lodge in Wisconsin Dells on 02/10/09 and 02/11/09.
I have to say that although I was impressed with the how nice our 2 bedroom premier room was, I was not impressed with the service.

When I made the reservation (which was only 3 weeks prior) I inquired about being be able to extend the stay if I chose to do so and I was advised that it should not be a problem. Then upon check in I asked if we could stay another night and the girl checked the computer and said absolutely no problem just call the desk and let us know if you want to stay. So I called the desk to request an additional night and I was advised that every room was sold out. Pretty amazing that happened within 36 hours of us checking in and being told we could extend our stay with no problems. I then asked to speak with a manager and the young lady stated I am the manager and I can’t do anything for you and hung up.

Now upon check in I was also advised that one of the water parks was closing at 3pm and will not be open until Friday. When I made the reservation I was told all water parks were open, then I check in and they are not - that's a disappointment.

Also the noise level from the hallways and the rooms above ours was just ridiculous.

To top things off the food at the restaurants was just awful; we finally decided to eat outside the resort for all of our meals.

For the life of me I can’t figure out why we even wanted to stay a third night, other then the nice room.

We did end up leaving your resort and going over and staying at the Kalahari. The rooms were awesome and the service was unbeatable. Amazing that for how nice the Kalahari is and how great the service is that we were still able to get a room on such short notice and the Glacier Canyon was unable to assist us with an extra night. The Kalahari did fill up by Friday and they were doing some impressive business.

The layout of the Glacier Canyon, Wilderness is the most ridiculous layout for a resort I have ever seen. Its like a big maze - so be ready to walk and walk and walk some more to get where you need to be. You might want to bring a snack to get you through your walk.

Needless to say haveing a nice room does not make up for having horrible service and food. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family