“Glacier Canyon Lodge - It Did Not Dissapoint”

Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #15 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Me, my spouse and our three children, four and under, spent a week (6 nights) at the Glacier Canyon Lodge the last week of August. We chose this week because most kids were getting back to school and prefer smaller crowds. It worked out perfectly since the cost was a little less expensive that week as well.

We booked a two-bedroom deluxe condo. The room was clean and spacious for our family of five. The kitchen was nicely stocked with cups, dishes, cookware and utensils. The bedrooms were comfortable and the living room was clean and modern. We knew going in that housekeeping would only do a complete service of the room on the fourth day of your visit, so we didn't expect the cleaning crew each day to clean and make the beds; bath towels and garbage, however, were serviced each day of our stay. We received a room that overlooked the rear of the property, which gave us a serene view of the forest preserve and horse trails. The grounds were very well maintained and clean. The resort was at about half to three quarters capacity, which seemed jut right as far as being able to get chairs at the indoor and outdoor pools as well as getting on all of the rides. Although it was busy, it was not overcrowded. All the indoor and outdoor pools were open during our entire stay. We cooked all of our meals, with the exception of breakfast, in our room. The local Wal-Mart is about ten minutes away, so it was easy to stock up on food and adult beverages. For breakfast we did the buffet at the Wild Canyon Cafe. The pricing was as expected for a resort and the food was typical of any decent buffet style restaurant. We all enjoyed it and the kids were happy with the choices.

As far as the walking from pool area to pool area we didn't have a problem. We were in building two of the GC Lodge which is two buildings away from the skywalk leading to the main resort area. Everything is clearly marked and signs directed you on where to go. We actually enjoyed the walking. The kids liked the view from the skywalk and it felt to them like crossing a big bridge across the jungle (the area around the skywalk is wooded with a creek that runs through). All of the pool areas were within ten minutes one way or the other, plus we got to explore parts of the resort we wouldn't have otherwise. We ended up finding a small inexpensive pottery painting store in the New Frontier section of the resort, a little past Klondike Kavern, which the kids loved. They painted their pottery (pre-cast designs - many to choose from), which then had to be put in a kiln to be baked, and it was ready the next day for pick up. The kids proudly display their art in their rooms.

Out of all the pools our favorite indoor pool was the Wild Water Dome and our favorite outdoor pool was the Lost World Waterpark, which has the neatest lazy river I have ever seen; it is huge with multi-levels. All of the pool areas were kept at comfortable temperatures, although the indoor pools were humid at times, and provided people of all ages a large variety of things to do and rides to go on. I actullay like the way the Wilderness has everything spread out a little. It gave us something different to look forward to each day.

This was our first stay in the Dells, so we were torn on what resort to book. After looking at the most popular we naroowed our choices down to two, the Kalahari and the Glacier Canyon Lodge. After spending the week in the Dells we were glad of our choice. We did take the time to visit the Kalahari just down the road. It was a nice faciity, but layed out closer and seemed tighter than the Wilderness Properties. The other thing we didn't like about the Kalahari is that it sat right along the highway and had this industrial feel about it. The Glacier Canyon and the Wilderness property felt a little more open and surrounded by nature.

Hopefully this review has been helpful. We are looking forward to returning August of 2009!

The Sundara Spa was gorgeous and relaxing, a bit expensive, but well worth it. I was completely relaxed after my four hour session. I didn't want to leave. They provided a free towncar to pick you up and drop you off bewteen locations, which was a plus.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank SCA-Family

Reviewed March 17, 2009

My family (2 adults, 5 kids - 17,16,10,9,3) went as a quick get-away before school started. We rented a 2 bedroom deluxe, brought along food for all but one night and we had a wonderful time. All of the kids were excited to get to the resort. Once we did, everyone was ready for some waterpark fun. We unpacked and got settled in and away we went. The two older boys kind of did their own thing. We would meet up with them throughout the day (usually meals and somewhere in one of the parks). They had a great time, lots for them to do. Us and the three younger ones spent most of our time at the Glacier Canyon waterpark. We did make sure that we checked out all of the parks (inside and outside) and all of the rides, but always seemed to end up back at Glacier Canyon. It was just so relaxing to float in the lazy river and we also started having races on Hailey's Comets. In the evening we would spend time in one of the indoor parks or in one of the arcades. All of us really enjoyed our 4 days. We had planned on doing some other activities, but we were so content that we only went downtown one evening for a bit. The 16 year old and the 10 year old were friends of our children and they have asked to come along again and of course the kids are asking if we will go again this year. We were thinking of waiting and going every other year, but I have the itch to head back again this year. It was WONDERFUL!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank tdcoss
Reviewed February 18, 2009

I recently stayed at the Glacier Canyon Lodge in Wisconsin Dells on 02/10/09 and 02/11/09.
I have to say that although I was impressed with the how nice our 2 bedroom premier room was, I was not impressed with the service.

When I made the reservation (which was only 3 weeks prior) I inquired about being be able to extend the stay if I chose to do so and I was advised that it should not be a problem. Then upon check in I asked if we could stay another night and the girl checked the computer and said absolutely no problem just call the desk and let us know if you want to stay. So I called the desk to request an additional night and I was advised that every room was sold out. Pretty amazing that happened within 36 hours of us checking in and being told we could extend our stay with no problems. I then asked to speak with a manager and the young lady stated I am the manager and I can’t do anything for you and hung up.

Now upon check in I was also advised that one of the water parks was closing at 3pm and will not be open until Friday. When I made the reservation I was told all water parks were open, then I check in and they are not - that's a disappointment.

Also the noise level from the hallways and the rooms above ours was just ridiculous.

To top things off the food at the restaurants was just awful; we finally decided to eat outside the resort for all of our meals.

For the life of me I can’t figure out why we even wanted to stay a third night, other then the nice room.

We did end up leaving your resort and going over and staying at the Kalahari. The rooms were awesome and the service was unbeatable. Amazing that for how nice the Kalahari is and how great the service is that we were still able to get a room on such short notice and the Glacier Canyon was unable to assist us with an extra night. The Kalahari did fill up by Friday and they were doing some impressive business.

The layout of the Glacier Canyon, Wilderness is the most ridiculous layout for a resort I have ever seen. Its like a big maze - so be ready to walk and walk and walk some more to get where you need to be. You might want to bring a snack to get you through your walk.

Needless to say haveing a nice room does not make up for having horrible service and food. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Bob R
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Another great Wyndham property. We are Wyndham owners in Hawaii, but live close to Glacier Canyon. Great lodge setting, fun waterparks. I have stayed in the 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom, and 4 bedroom presidential. All spectacular. Great being able to cook food in unit for the family. No need to go out and spend a fortune. The rooms have the rustic feel with fireplaces. It is a great time, and the kids always have fun. The only down side that I would say is that he water parks are a long walk -inside-but a long walk. Mainly when you have little kids, or older people along that aren't the fastest. But, you can't have everything! Great place, and everyone we send there absolutely raves about it!

• Stayed: January 2009
2  Thank us2snorkel
Reviewed January 25, 2009

My family, two adults and 5 children (11,10,7,7 and 5) just spent one night here on January 22. Check-in was a breeze. Since we arrived in two cars, at two seperate times, the front desk staff was happy to give the first to check in all the water park wristbands and the hang tag for the extra vehicle. We stayed in a two bedroom. It was fabulous. It was clean. There was more then enough room for everyone to have some breathing space. I have stayed in furnished condos before and this kitchen was by far the best. It was supplied with every cooking item and utensil we needed. Although, there were no pot holders to remove our pizza, we did not inquire if we could get some, because being Rachel Ray fans, we knew how to use a towel. Being able to cook dinner and breakfast, saved us oodles of cash.

We used the connected walk way to go over to the water parks. We timed it to the Klondike Kavern and it took us 7 minutes. Not bad, since we were on the very far end of the hotel. The indoor walkway between that park and the wave pool made it super easy to get around. There did seem to be an awful lot of people, considering the hotels are probably not fully booked, but we took it in stride and still went on slides with very little wait. Even on Friday, we got on the Hurricane twice before going home in less then 10 minutes. Sort of hard on an old mom to be running up those stairs, I kind of like a little wait time, at least so I can catch my breath! Clean towels were everywhere and constantly being refreshed. When my sister and I needed a break, we would go to the wave pool, sit in a lounge chair and let the kids tackle the waves. It never seems to bore them. I know that they were not ready to go when the time came.

I loved the accomadations and the water parks.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank redgirl1
Reviewed January 16, 2009

We love this place. Its an awesome way to get away from life for a weekend! We own a timeshare here and have used it 5 times already this year. We have stayed in the 3 bedroom presidential and the 4 bedroom presidential each time. They are eactly alike each other, except the 4 bedroom has one extra bedroom and one extra bathroom. They are the most gorgeous rooms you will ever stay in. There are pictures of these rooms posted on this site (posted by other people, not myself). They are great representations of what this room looks like. You will feel at home in these rooms. The bathtubs are dreamy. The bes are so comfortable. The bathrooms are ginormous! And the best part is you will never hear anyone above you as all the presidential suites are on the top floor (they have cathedral ceilings). An awesome perk!

As far as the resort, its a great place to get away to. The water parks are a blast, although we have been so many times that sometimes we could not be bothered by them. There is always plenty to do both within the resort or in the town. We have done ceramics there. My husband golfs and loves that golf course!!! We have gone horseback riding. A great family place that is not too far from home! ENJOY!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank luv2ash
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Our family, two 40ish parents along with an 18 year old autistic child and 13 year old going on 21 visited the Glacier Canyon January 8-11. We met my brother, his wife and 5 year old for our family Christmas. We obtained our room through an e-Bay auction for a 2 bedroom deluxe, see the resort web page for the amenities, but the condo was awesome.

The Good

The room. We loved it, we brought along a ton of groceries for snacks, lunches and breakfasts and used the kitchen a lot. We had a king room and a room with two beds for the boys. We used our jacuzzi as well as the washer / dryer and the fireplace. Great bedding, great waterpressure. Loved it, best $260 we ever spent.

Check-In / Check-Out. The Wyndam staff were great, they treated us as if we were the condo owners, directed us to Wal Mart in case we forgot anything; and at check-out found me a luggage cart. Our key didn't work when we first checked in and the housekeeping staff not only let us in, but took our bad keys to the front desk and had them re-done for us. Great service.

The Just Okay

The Glacier Canyon is connected to the Wilderness complex by a skywalk, and it's a good 10 minute brisk walk just to get to the complex, could be as long as another 10 minutes to get to the Wild West Waterpark. Not a problem for us, but if we had had my mother who does not ambulate well, it would have been a disaster as she won't use a wheelchair. You can take a shuttle to the the Wilderness, but going outside to get into a van in single digit weather didn't appeal to us.

There is no real restaurant in the Glacier Canyon, at least during winter, and on Thursday all the restaurants and lounges were closed at 9:00pm, so we couldn't get away from the kids after a 6 hour drive and have a glass of wine. The shuttles ran until 11:00, but again, we didn't want to go outside.

Prices for all food and drink were VERY high on property. $3.25 for a soda, $5.50 for a beer, $9.00 for a hot dog and fries, even high for resort pricing from our experience. That being said, we took a shuttle to Sarento's, had a great meal that was around $140.00 for the 7 of us (three kids), good service there as well. Drinks were well poured - and that's all I can say about that...

For our room, the only bad thing I can say is that the hall noise is bad if you're in the living room area. Not a problem in the bedrooms. We were on the 1st floor, which is where the lobby and skywalk was located so there was a lot of traffic. We could really smell chlorine in the water, but we're kind of water snobs living near Lake Superior where we have really good water so take that with a grain of salt (no pun intended).

The Amenities

I know this site is more for the rooms, but I felt I should comment on the Waterparks. We enjoyed the Wild West and Klondike Cavern, but felt the sun dome one was kind of boring. If we were there to just relax, that would have been okay but there is not much to do there other than the wave pool and one slide. We felt that for the size of the resort, the waterparks were too small overall. They were fine on Thursday and Friday morning, but we couldn't take the autistic boy on Saturday as it was literally shoulder to shoulder in the parks all day. Probably not a problem in the summer, but in winter not enough square footage per person. We did play laser tag, that was fun, and we spent time in the Wild West Arcade and indoor dry play area - which the boys enjoyed.

Overall, it was a nice stay and if we ever went to the Dells in the summer we would consider. But for boys the ages we have, we will probably go back to the Kalahari next winter. My brother, with the 5 year old, loves the Wilderness as it has many attractions for kids that age.

Contact me if you would like more information.

• Stayed: January 2009